No announcement yet.

Some input on what will happen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can't be hired here without completing the state's acrophobia test, which involves climbing a 100' unsupported ladder at an angle of between 65 and 75 degrees, without stopping for more than 30 seconds.

I think in Massachusetts, its a 40' ladder, but you need to perform some task like threading couplings at the top, to make sure you don't freeze up.

So if you hired this guy and your department and officers are working with hiim, you have all already really gone out of your way for him. And he needs to show his approciation by working very hard and doing whatever it takes to get over his fear, or find a new job.

Comment

Originally posted by pletch View Post
      In some way shape of form everyones affraid of heights buy every one can get over them, just give him time and support him a little by little, get out the ladder and have him climb one step more each shift, of each tranning, reasure him the the brotherhood of firefighters is behind him and it will be ok ... just dont give up , hes a good Firefighter remeber
      Thats all well and good until your shift is pushed to the extreme when you have a good working fire. What happens when your shift is busy and ff A and B have to go up the ladder to do a rescue or what not and ff B can't go because of a fear of heights then thats not good. I agree, work with them but if you don't cut it in a reasonable time,then it's time to move on before you put you fellow firefighters in jepardy. We work with 4 on a shift and if we couldn't go up a ladder we'd be out the door real quick.See where I'm coming from?

Comment

Next guy on the list...

There are lots of people willing to do this job. It isn't uncommon to have several hundred people apply for each opening. I'm sure he's a good kid, most of them are, but he can't do it.

Climbing ladders is an essential fireground task. You wouldn't be having this discussion if he couldn't carry an SCBA - this is no different. This isnt about wanting to keep a nice guy. It's about doing the job, if he can't do it find someone that can.

Comment

I understand that he may be a terrific kid, however, imagine the video footage on CNN of the firefighter who would not climb a ladder. As a result, a mother and her child died on the second floor balcony.

Your officer has an obligation to start documenting IMMEDIATELY. This is a major safety issue to the department, the community, and his crew.

you wrote:
          "Not climbing the aerial may be acceptable because he could go on the engine, but not even going halfway up an extension ladder well that is a serious issue. "

This is an incredibly short sided statement.

The department also needs to evaluate how a firefighter gets hired with a fear of heights.

Paul Lepore
          Battalion Chief
          www.aspiringfirefighters.com
          Last edited by BCLepore; 02-18-2007, 04:49 PM.
          Paul Lepore
          Battalion Chief
          www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse