Help Please!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Please!!!

im in a health class and im doing a presentation on firefighters and i needed some information on the education. i was wondering if anyone could help me.

what about education?

Comment

how long does the fire academy take? and what kind of traning is required?

Comment

sorry can't help you there... i'm with a volunteer department.. we don't have an academy. our firefighter 1 training is 99 hours tho, if that helps any.

Comment

well actually that does. what kind of training do you do? and is it like once a week or what? i know here it takes like 6-8 months once a week they call it an academy but its through a volunteer dept.

Comment

Our department requires certain training that must be completed with in 2 years(i think) of joining. I'd have to check our bylaws to tell you exactly what we have to have but I know Firefighter 1, Hazmat (operations or awarness), CPR & First Aid, and EVOC (emergency vehicle operations).

Our training is state mandated by the Virginia Department of Fire Programs.
            http://www.vafire.com/

Our firefighter 1 is 99 hours, and what days and times depends on what class you are enrolled in. Every instructor teaches different. The one I went through was 6 weeks of weekends. But another class did 2 or 3 nights a week.

Comment

thanks that helps alot. but you guys dont call it the fire acadmy? what is the difference between firefigher 1 and fighter 2 for ex. is there a 3 or 4?

Comment

no its not a fire academy. the fire academies in virginia(tidewater regional fire academy is one) usually teach VDFP's firefighter 1 as part of their curriculum, but the class firefighter 1 is not an academy. firefighter 1 is 99 hours and mostly classroom, with few practical exercises, and only 1 day in the burn building. firefighter 2 is 40 hours and the majority of it is practicals, especially the burn building.

Comment

ok thanx.

Comment

Chicago academy is 6 months.
                    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

Comment

Hope this helps. Check the links to the left for more.

http://gfstc.georgia.gov/00/channel_...677436,00.html
                      I am a highly trained professional and can find my :: expletive deleted:: with either hand in various light conditions.

Comment

Ct State Fire Academy is about 11 weeks, I believe they are changing soon to 14 weeks. Live there during the week, home on weekends. Covers FF1 & 2, NIMS, Hazmat Awareness & OPS, FF Safety & Survival, Confined Space Rescue, Flashover Survival, Elevator Rescue, Company OPS, Many Live Burns, and PT every day. Don't remember what the hour requirements were. It was a pretty good mix of class room followed by practical application. First couple of weeks are like hell weeks, very intense both physically and mentally, and they are trying to see who has their sh#t together. They will do MRT if your department wants, and then EMT is done when you get on the line during probationary period-1 year. Can't remember too much else, hope it helps.
                        Last edited by callaway75; 01-09-2007, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Our FireFighter II class starts Jan. 16th until June 16th. It is 3 hours each on Tuesday and Thursday, and 8 hours every Saturday every week until its done.

Tuesday and Thursday is more classroom stuff, whereas Saturdays are Hands on sort of things.

My dept has Training every monday night on various things. Last night was Scene illumination. Next monday we are all getting our CPR re-certification. Some times we just discuss a call we had durring the week (usually if there was a fire) we talk about how it went, good or bad, what we did good, what we could have improved.

Im pretty new on the Dept, so sorry if I don't have more info for ya.
                          Get busy livin, or get busy dyin. - Shawshank Redemption
                          IACOJ

Comment

new york city academy was 13 weeks, it seems in the near future however it will be extended. i've heard rumors of 6 months, but not so sure.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X