Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rubenb1978
    replied
    well to go. i just got picked up to i know how you feel. best feeling in the world right.

Leave a comment:

• almsfan21
    replied
    I'm obviously not Carichey, but MCCKC offers a paramedic program at their Penn Valley campus, which is where I'm planning to get my paramedic.

Leave a comment:

• IFDexplorerCJC
    replied
    Originally posted by Carichey View Post
    Paramedic and hazmat tech are two biggies. They are going to be hiring medics hard over the next several years in order to try to make EVERY pumper in the district ALS. Start volunteering early too. Experience is a big factor with any department.

Thanks. Where can you get haz-mat tech? I know awareness and operations are part of a fire science cirriculum, but I don't know where to get tech. Also, where did you get paramedic at? I think CJC teaches it, but was wondering where else around here does it.

Being a smaller guy as well, can you give me good exercises to do? I'm thinking of getting a personal trainer in a few months, but that might be too expensive. Anyway, thank you again, and sorry for asking so many questions, I just figured that you'd be a great person to ask since you just got hired on.

Leave a comment:

• Carichey
    replied
    Originally posted by IFDexplorerCJC View Post
    Congrats!

Working for IFD is my dream job, I am (as you can tell by name) an explorer for them. Since you just got hired, would you mind telling me what would give me the best chances of being hired? I'm in a fire science class (still a junior in HS), but we had some instructor issues, so I will not be able to get certified this year. But should be able to get EMT certification next year. After that, I plan to try to re-take Fire Science again, and get paramedic. Is there any other tips you can give me?
    Paramedic and hazmat tech are two biggies. They are going to be hiring medics hard over the next several years in order to try to make EVERY pumper in the district ALS. Start volunteering early too. Experience is a big factor with any department.

Leave a comment:

• almsfan21
    replied
    Congrats man. I am getting ready to enter at Blue River community college's Academy. Did you go through that academy? If you wouldn't mind..PM me with what I can expect in the academy? I'd really appreciate it. Congratulations again, IFD is a good dept.

Leave a comment:

• IFDexplorerCJC
    replied
    Congrats!

Working for IFD is my dream job, I am (as you can tell by name) an explorer for them. Since you just got hired, would you mind telling me what would give me the best chances of being hired? I'm in a fire science class (still a junior in HS), but we had some instructor issues, so I will not be able to get certified this year. But should be able to get EMT certification next year. After that, I plan to try to re-take Fire Science again, and get paramedic. Is there any other tips you can give me?

Leave a comment:

• Carichey
    replied
    Second week in orientation and already workin

My orientation class were issued our temporary bunkers just last week. A room and contents was dispatched out just today as we were in class. Our training Chief told us to grab our gear and we were going to jump in on the call. He is one of many investigators on shift that day so he had to go anyway... We got some first hand training on investigation. The truck company handed us the tools and we went to work knocking out the hot spots and getting our brand new gear dirty for the first time. My first call with the new department...

Now I'm not used to this, and frankly I'm delighted. All the departments I've volunteered for would get skunked shift after shift... and this department I'm on with now has landed more structure fires in a couple weeks than the ones I have worked with other departments in months.

I thought I was green before, but now it's even more apparent. I have allot to learn and a long way to go. There are allot of VERY knowledgeable people on the Independence Fire Department, and I'm very excited to have the opportunity to work along side them. I am defiantly looking forward to things to come.

Leave a comment:

• ffemtPAJ
    replied
    Congrats and enjoy your new career. You have worked hard for it!

Leave a comment:

• BMAIGM
    replied
    attaboy! enjoy your career

Leave a comment:

• ACfire1
    replied
    congratulations! good luck

Leave a comment:

• topdog
    replied
    congrats......!

Leave a comment:

• Carichey
    replied
    Originally posted by Pancho View Post
    Congrats! Mind disclosing where you got on at? I'm applying for JoCo out in Warrensburg because of my busy schedule.
    Glad to hear all turned out well!
    Good luck and be safe,
    Tim
    Independence Fire.

And good luck on your apps!

Leave a comment:

• BKDRAFT
    replied
    Originally posted by Carichey View Post
    After over two years of working through fire academy after fire academy earning every certification I could think of... after getting through 'medic school while holding down a full time ambulance job and a part time job as a mechanic... after being told that I was wasting my time because I am too small or too young... after spending countless hours working as a volunteer to prove that I can hold my own

I finally got on full time as a fire/medic with one of the larger departments in the Kansas City metro area.

I almost lost hope for a while, but now that it's happened all I can feel is relief that all my efforts haven't been in vane.

I couldn't be more ecstatic.

Good Job!!

Leave a comment:

• Steeda83
    replied
    congrats! you earned it

Leave a comment:

• clark918
    replied
    Congrats man! I know what you mean about people saying that you're too small and young. I hear it all the time as well. Yet today I just took my Firefighter 1 practical and was one of the few that didn't even fail a station once. Also passed my written the other day so I'm on my way. It's actually really nice to hear someone that heard the same things from people, but worked through it and got a job anyway.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X