Thinking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking

Im a 26 year old male and am thinking of joining my community volunteer fire department...you know ,to give a little something back to my great community.My question is,what is the ussaul procedure of joining a volunteer fire dept and should I consider taking some type of classes at the community college and what should I take?I live in Maiden North Carolina and the volunteer fire dept close to me is Bandys Volunteer Fire Dept.My grandfather was a Los Angeles fire fighter in the 60s so I guess I got alittle firefighter blood running through my veins.Any help would be appreciated.My email is [email protected]

First step: Go to Bandys Volunteer Fire Dept and talk with them. Many departments have their own procedures.

PS - Good Luck. It's a good way to give back to your community. Been doing it 25 years myself.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

I went to a monthly meeting at the station and expressed my interest to the chief, then he said:

"Sign here! Here's your gear and your pager! Pick up the engine on your way to the call! EMT/First Responder class starts in 3 weeks, be there!"

However, I have some background experience and participate on an industrial brigade. I agree with the statement above, check with the dept to determine what it takes. We are a very small dept (30 people) and can find room and a suitable job for anybody and everybody.

You already have most of what it takes in my opinion, the willingness to "volunteer".

Comment

Originally posted by dvdjns View Post
        Im a 26 year old male and am thinking of joining my community volunteer fire department...you know ,to give a little something back to my great community.My question is,what is the ussaul procedure of joining a volunteer fire dept and should I consider taking some type of classes at the community college and what should I take?I live in Maiden North Carolina and the volunteer fire dept close to me is Bandys Volunteer Fire Dept.My grandfather was a Los Angeles fire fighter in the 60s so I guess I got alittle firefighter blood running through my veins.Any help would be appreciated.My email is [email protected]
        starting by talking to Bandys would be your best bet as Bones said
        As far as community college the department should handle any training you would need at the station from what I read on Catawba Valley Community Colleges website.

Good luck

Comment

The only regret I have in joining my old volunteer department back in Kentucky was making the decision to leave it if I couldn't find a"real job" to soak up time between calls.
          Yeah,I am waiting on paperwork so I can sit for my NREMT and Tn license,but while I was on,the people I learned and worked with were among the best folks I've ever known.
          I know there's a few foul balls in any department but they are more than offset by the rest of the group.
          Enjoy,listen up,take notes and ask questions during training and if everyone else is standing back on your first call,DON'T rush in ahead of them.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
          Working...
          X