Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job/Plan

Hello

I am Kosuki and I am new to the fourm but not FireFighting. I am 17y/o and I wana be a firefighter, the only thing stoping me is my College path. Maby you guys can read this and help me.

Step 1. I want to get my EMT under my belt.
    Step 2. This is my problem. Should I get my AA so I can get my Paramedic or should I go into the Fire Acad?

I know alot about the fire services b/c i have done almost 25 ridealongs with Morro Bay Fire Dept. in CA. So I want to be a firefighter I am not sure what path to take in steps to be one.

It all depends, where do you want to be a fire fighter. Find out what the department you want to be on requires you to have. Once you know that, apply, apply, apply. Get what you need, and work your way onto the department. Keep in shape, all of that stuff.

Also, going to school never HURT anyone's chances, especially with the recent trend of requiring more and more college to get promoted. Basically, if you want a degree, get one. The Fire Department will still be there in 2, or 4 years.

As for Paramedic, if it will help you go right ahead. But only get it if you want to, and like it. You won't do you, your employer, or your patient's any good, if you hate EMS work, and went and got paramedic.

Other than that, GOOD LUCK!

Comment

I would go into the academy first and then get EMT while going for a Fire Science degree, thats what I am doing anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by ACfire1 View Post
        I would go into the academy first and then get EMT while going for a Fire Science degree, thats what I am doing anyway.
        Maybe on the east coast that's good advice...in CA, however, a whole different story applies.

See, in order to be eligible to even apply for 99% of F/T Firefighter jobs in CA, one must first possess at least an EMT-1 cert. The remaining 1% are USFS, BLM, NPS, the Fed jobs...everyone else everywhere in CA requires EMT-1. Many Academies even require EMT-1 as an enrollment pre-requisite.
        Further, most academies in CA are run by the community college system, therefore you get college credit for attending (and likewise pay through the nose in tuition and enrollment fees)...though the credits won't do much for you if you're going for any degree program other than Fire Science.

When you turn 18, enroll in EMT class, preferably at your local community college--you'll pay about $150 in books and tuition vs $500-700 if you go through the local ambulance co or another private "training institute".
        I wouldn't advise rushing off to do EMT school right now, because your two year certification window begins the day you are issued your course completion letter...so if you just turned 17 and go to class now, you'll waste 7 months in "limbo", cause you can't have a CA EMT-1 cert till you're at least 18.

Now, as for what to do after that point...I would recommend you do two things, the order in which you do them is up to you (but I'm putting them in my recommended order):
        1) Become a volunteer or PCF somewhere. San Luis Obispo County is CDF-operated territory, and I believe many stations there have PCF companies attached. SLO County has their own "mini-academy" for their PCFs (about 120 hrs I think) they'll put you through prior to you being able to actually perform fire suppression ops. That's a good start on training and experience.

2) Get to the Academy (the full CSFM FF-1 program), if you can afford it. Shouldn't be much trouble to get in if you get a sponsorship letter from a chief officer in the SLO Ranger unit...usually the Academies around here reserve a certain number of seats each class for department-sponsored cadets. Use the academy to jumpstart you on units for your AS/Fire Science degree.

From there, take a couple years, stick with the PCF program, get your PCF2 or PCFE if you can, study hard in your college classes, and get that ASFS done. Start applying for seasonal FF1. Get a couple seasons under your belt, and by the time you're 21 or so, you should have a CSFM FF-1 cert (and all the other goodies that come with a good Academy: HAZMAT FRO, Confined Space Rescue Awareness, etc), EMT-1, a couple years of PCF experience, a couple seasons of CDF time, and an ASFS to top it all off.

That's a pretty damn attractive candidate for just about any department around.

ADDED: just FYI an AA/AS degree is not required for Paramedic licensure in CA. Some colleges offer an AA/AS in EMS or paramedicine, or whatever they want to call it, but one doesn't need an AA/AS to become a Medic.
        Last edited by the1141man; 12-26-2006, 08:51 AM.
        My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

Comment

I'm 17 and a jr. member with the volunteer deparment in my town. I'm going to school full time to get my AAS in fire science. Come January I will be a member of one of the rescue squads in the county, and enrolled in an EMT-enhanced class. I'm also in the middle of the application process with about 5 fire deparments.

I'm doin it all and not having any problems, if it's any encouragement to you.

Comment

Hello

Im reading the posts here and have to agree on waiting for EMT-B. Though i live in OHio , i have taken the EMT-B and there is alot to it. Yes its BASIC life support , but the NREMT is a hard test and ive seen some very smart ppl fail. That being said, the point im making is between Fire training/academy and EMT-B or 1 if you will...........its gonna be hard to keep concentrated on both skills. Not saying you cant or dont have enough brain power or what ever but the fire training can be rough .

(( for Kosuki)))

I am POC Firefighter thats Paid on Call ..i have to say....almost 25 ride alongs is good dont get me wrong, but remember .............theres sooo much more than the number of times you have been out. EMS is very diff in the real world and they dont teach that.they try .Same with Fire. kepp up the ride alongs by all means the experience is good for your confidence level and help learn to handel the pressures out there. So keep the ride alongs coming.

As acfire stated,,...going to the academy would be great...but you can do EMT-B first..its a shorter class ( roughly 4- 5 months ) take the NREMT or state test ..some states require both as does mine grrrrrrrrrr. and your all set.

Any ways, hope this helps anyone here interested in Firefighting and EMS at that.

Comment

i have to correct something here. I stated that i agree on waiting for emt-b. Its a 2 way street and you can do it in anyorder you like , but check your local dept's regulations on that. Part of being a good candiate is to take responsibilty and ask these questions. They like to see semi rookies ask these questions. at least my chief did. Show determination for an explorer .

srry for the mishap there.i get to typing and next thing i know, im telling you my break , lunch and dinner.lol....<< not funny i know!

Comment

savinglives:

Two things--
                1) California now uses NREMT testing for EMT-1 (what we call -Bs). Having been an asst instructor for 2 yrs at an EMT school, trust me, EMT is not hard by any stretch of the imagination, as long as you study and don't slack it off.
                2) Academies--many in CA will not accept you if you don't already have an EMT-1 cert. Some schools (Fresno City College and College of the Sequoias I know for certain) will allow you to take EMT-1 and the Academy concurrently... but that'll make for some long days and weeks, and even more stress.

Best advice: get EMT-1 knocked out early. Go PCF with SLU. Get a sponsorship to go to the Academy. Do your ASFS program, maybe get a couple seasons in with CDF, wherever you can--SLU, FKU, MMU, whoever, then apply to whatever full-time permanent position you want. You'll be golden.

PS--the big reason a lot of people fail the NREMT-B is not reading the question thoroughly, and answering exactly what the question asks for...people assume too much or read too far into it, and end up hosing themselves in the end. That's why a lot of these "very smart" guys fail. The Army has used NREMT testing for several years, and trust me, you don't need sky-high ASVAB scores or a college degree to enlist as a 68W and make it. If you can follow directions and procedures, and answer a question as asked, you're fine.
                Last edited by the1141man; 12-27-2006, 03:49 AM.
                My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                Working...
                X