need advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need advice

I'm starting my first day in a few weeks and have been reading all the wonderful tips on what to do and what not to do, but i was wondering what to wear on my first day. I have not been issued any uniforms yet(something i will be doing the first week) and i'm not sure the dress code. If someone could give me an idea on what to wear i would be grateful, thank you

Ask. It has been said many times here. "The only stupid question is the one not asked." People here can give opinions, but unless they are with your department it is just that, opinions. I would suggest you stop by the station and introduce yourself, if you don't know the crew, and then ask. Good luck to you.

Comment

Reservefornow is right - ASK!!! While you are there do a head count of how many people are on duty so you know how much food to buy. Food to buy??? Yes food to buy! Your first day in the door you should have an arm full of groceries. These groceries should include but not limited to the following list:
      Eggs
      Bacon
      Potatoes
      English Muffins
      Cheese
      OJ
      Ice Cream (figure 1/4 gallon for every person)
      Personality
      Eagerness to work
      The know how to prepare the above items!

This will be a HUGE impression on your new work mates! They will welcome you with open arms. Do all the cooking and all the clean up! Chances are they will pitch in to help you but don't ask for it.

Also - for the first 6 months or so do not sit down!!! (unless it is in a class room setting) Keep moving!!! Get familiar with the equipment, sog's, streets and major hazards! Know your assignment! (ie: irons, nozzle, can, outside vent) Ask what the officer expects from you at certain calls like extrications, first due fires, second due fires, alarms, medicals...... I hope this helps. If you do nothing I've told you, at least bring the groceries!!!
      IAFF member, Love this job! Remember the oath!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
      Working...
      X