X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ABBCujo31
    replied
    Originally posted by BrianB35 View Post
    Sadly, our department has clique's as well. Just the same as high school college and everywhere else.

1. The Good Ole Boys
    2. The Get A Lifers (some of #1 are in #2)
    3. The rest of us, including me.

My view is simple. When the tones go off you show up and do your job. Sucking up just ticks me off and "living" at the station means you need to re-evaluate your priorities.
    Brian, same in our station. It's sad but true. When I first joined, I couldn't wait for the pager to go off but then realized after my first year, show up, do your job, learn, and go home safely.

My friend recently joined and he thinks we get calls everyday. I don't know what to do to help him other than let him experience it himself as I did.

Leave a comment:

• bombera4life
    replied
    My department also experiences a division among the members, but it isn't really a clique. It has more to do with the fact that our department has two substations, and that most people will group together with the other members who run at their substation.

I absolutely hate it. I feel that we are all one department and need to act as such. Members get upset over not being able to be the first due truck in their area, even when they don't have enough manpower to man the truck in the first place. It causes alot of tension between all the members, even those of us that don't fall into these substation "cliques".

Leave a comment:

• BrianB35
    replied
    Sadly, our department has clique's as well. Just the same as high school college and everywhere else.

1. The Good Ole Boys
    2. The Get A Lifers (some of #1 are in #2)
    3. The rest of us, including me.

My view is simple. When the tones go off you show up and do your job. Sucking up just ticks me off and "living" at the station means you need to re-evaluate your priorities.

Leave a comment:

• SWLAFireDawg
    replied
    Originally posted by RspctFrmCalgary View Post
    I believe the word you are looking for is "clique", not "click".

Clique ...

Click ...
    And then you have guys like this....which is the group I usually belong to.....SMART-ASSES and KNOW-IT-ALLS!!!

LOL! Just pokin' at ya Calgary!............

Leave a comment:

• 2andfrom
    replied
    Not only but also

There are another group that gets confused with the "clicks/cliques"--these are the "Empire Builders"

This little lot start off in a cliquish way (usually with management tacit aproval see below)then as they get bigger they usurp the status quo and do a takeover--now you have two factions at loggerheads.

This is known as the divide and conquer method--used a lot by management to keep everyone in a state of flux--this is a very affective tool.

Cynical-moi? Never!

Leave a comment:

• IMABASICEMT
    replied
    I would say my dept. is probably split in two groups. One group consists of the 4 paid people who are the officers and a few of their chosen favorites. They see themselves as the key personnel and the hardest workers. They complain non-stop about the second group. The second group consists of the rest of us and we complain about the other group because they are always complaining about something or looking for some reason to gripe at us. Each group gossips about the other group all the time. It gets old but I've belonged to 3 different volunteer departments in my days and it wasn't much different in the other two. However it never seems to get in the way of getting the job done and that is what is important.

Leave a comment:

• bellcord
    replied
    we have clicks in our department too, they are not major however. everybody gets along and nobody really hates eachother except for a few people who almost everybody has a dislike for.

Leave a comment:

• mcaldwell
    replied
    If the clique(s) is starting to create tension in the hall, then it is up to the leadership to fix it.

We have them; by age, previous relationships, and experience to a lesser extent (i.e. probies/rookies vs senior men). I have seen no tension or inefficiency caused by them. It is just part of the natural social environment. I can't sit and talk for an hour with a 19 yr old anymore about how they got wasted on the weekend, but I can talk with the older guys about a home reno project or family matters.

When the tones drop, it all goes away and they get the job done. I would expect nothing less.

Leave a comment:

• tbonetrexler
    replied
    "clique" has such a negative conotation. I am a member of a so called "clique".

We dont think of ourselves as one, but we are called one. We are all freinds who hang out at the firehouse together and run calls together and enjoy what we do.

We are called a "cligue" by some of the older members, but we really arent. Anybody can hang out with us, we talk to everybody, and get along with everybody.

This is just to inform that not all "cliques" are negative. If you have a group of freinds who you like to hang out with, just do it, dont worry about what others call you.

Leave a comment:

• trizahler26
    replied
    Thanks All!

I understand now, thanks for the replies. I guess I just though that while at the firehouse we could transcend our personal lives, interests, goals, ambitions, and attitudes

to

talk, act, train, and work as a team wether we are in the firehouse or out on a call.

I just figured firefighters were a complete team and you leave all those other things I mentioned above at the door of the firehouse and pick them back up when you leave.

Well, I will heed all the good advice I have read here and continue to keep my mouth shut, work/study hard, and be sure never to align myself with anyone one "clique"

Leave a comment:

• BRiceTFFD
    replied
    Cliques

I have been on for just over a year now. There is always going to be groups of firefighters who have more in common and seem to get along better. The great thing I have witnessed, is that no matter the clique we all come together on the fire scene.
    This is where it counts. So my advice is to be yourself and do your job, learn from others. It will all come together when it counts.

Leave a comment:

• RESERVEFORNOW
    replied
    We too have these "groups" in my department. I don't want to call them cliques as that word has a negative connotation to it and that is not how I view the groups in our department.

There are groups which generally associate with each other in and out of work. These guys have a lot of common interests and seem to share and enjoy many of the same values and passions for things. In and out of work I see similarities within the different groups and I see the people with whom I feel I more closely aligned. I don't believe it is a bad thing to realize these differences. Now it could be that our situation is nowhere near as bad as some of you and that may be why it doesn't seem a big deal to me. I could also be being naive about this, as I am very new to the fire service.

In every other aspect of our lives we surround ourselves with people of like values and like interests. As long as it doesn't get in the way of our professional duties I don't see that in our profession things should be any different.

Leave a comment:

• XRaysJL
    replied
    Cliques / Clicks

trizahler26:

As you have read these, you should understand that "Cliques" will be just about everywhere you go. I work in radiology (X-Rays), I'm a volunteer firefighter. In all the hospitals, prison (Worked as x-ray), imaging centers, and even at my own volunteer department they all have "Cliques" in common. I've even noticed it at other fire departments that I train with (For better mutual aid relationship, and to help keep my own skills up).

I'm guessing it comes from peoples natural tendency to be with people who are just like themselves whether it be jocks, geeks, nerds, ect. But the principle is the same. This is how "Cliques" form and expand just about everywhere you go. It's human tendency.

You are right to do the best you can to avoid them. In my humble opinion (We all know what they are like and that everyone has one): Stay friendly everyone regardless of the "Cliques" and learn from the experience they are willing to offer but don't let them draw you into them and make you start taking sides. I say this because to completely avoid them may give them the attitude of you don't like them.

Leave a comment:

• KEEPBACK200FEET
    replied
    There are cliques everywhere. While I have them at my station, I choose not to get involved in any clique. While they are playing around and gossiping, I'm trying to learn and become a better firefighter. You'd be suprised how much better you'll be on a fireground.

Leave a comment:

• WaterbryVTfire
    replied
    Correct me if I'm wrong...

but aren't there cliques in every (un)organized group(s)? Best, thing to do is not align yourself with any sepcific one.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X