No announcement yet.

Wow, near perfect vision to get hired?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow, near perfect vision to get hired?

A local FD is hiring and they include the following qualification in the job announcement:

"Vision of at least 20/30 in one eye and 20/40 in the other eye, uncorrected. Mild red-green color defects are acceptable, but complete color blindness is disqualifying."

I understand the color blind part but *uncorrected* 20/40 or better? I see many firefighters with glasses or contacts, some even have a special prescription mask on the SCBA.

What are the requirements for your department and do you think the above are a bit harsh?

Thanks

in my department, if you can pass the physical, which requires 20/20 CORRECTABLE, you are fine. I mean, I an understand wanting guys or gals with good vision, but that's rediculous. In a smoke filled house, 20/20, isn't that much better than 20/200.

Comment

While 20/20 correctable might be a little extreme, the vision requirements have nothing to do with seeing in a smoke filled house.

Driving, assessing a scene (fire, rescue, haz-mat, ems), reading signs and floor plans, and looking for hazards outside the building all require somewhat good vision, with or without correction.
      -------------------
      "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
      -----------------------------------------------
      Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

Comment

My dept. has the vision requirements as listed above....I didn't them notice until...The medical director failed me on the medical work-up...no worse than 20/40 uncorrected (I was 20/200 in rt. eye)....Failed on a Tuesday....that Saturday was in Montreal getting Lasik eye surgery....

Worked out for the best...I have great vision now somewhere between 20/15..and 20/20.....and was allowed to pass on through to the academy... Only 12 days left!!!!!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
        Working...
        X