Probie attending FF II - suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probie attending FF II - suggestions

Hello all, New member of both this board and a new dept.

I turned 21 pretty much the day I got accepted so Im brand new.

This january I am taking the FF II course through my Dept and the local College, I was wondering if there is any good books anyone suggests to get a head start on the class?

Thanks for any help.
    Get busy livin, or get busy dyin. - Shawshank Redemption
    IACOJ

I guess it depends on your state and which program they follow. Do you have your FF1 yet?

Most likely the class will use Essentials of Firefighting Textbook 4th edition Published by: IFSTA but there are others, I think Thomson/Delmar Handbook is another. These are pricy textbooks and as such are not very exciting to read. If you could just attend company drills until your classes start you will probably get more out of it then by reading.

Good luck

Tom
    FF/EMT

Comment

Check out "The Firefighter's Bookstore" @ www.firebooks.com

Comment

http://fire.jbpub.com/catalog/0763728470/

Just bought that book for my firefighter 1. It covers firefighter 2 as well. I think it's amazing. Everyone that I know that used it said that it helped them a ton when studying. Many of the questions are exactly the same on the exam.

Comment

I havn't taken FF I yet, but I guess Im not? I don't know really how things work yet, but I believe I am going straight into FF II, if thats possible?

I am working in Illinois

Thanks for the help, I'll check out that FF I and II book when I get home.
          IACOJ

Comment

I believe you need to have FF1 for a set amount of time. A year or more perhaps? I would HIGHLY recommend you get that prior to enrolling and taking FF2. Some of the portions covered in FF2 would put you in "over your head" without the FF1 under your belt.
            "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

IACOJ

"Criticism is prejudice made plausible."
            - H. L. Mencken (1880-1956)

Comment

I know in PA, you have to have at least your FFI, as well as EMT, and some other certs before even attempting the FFII test. Not to mention the testing facility closest to me, is both a proboard, and state testing site. They also only test one weekend a year, on the same weekend, so that you have to get a year as FFI before you can even get the chance to test again.

Comment

I don't know, it looks like its def. FF II class... The A/C is setting it all up, so I would assume he knows whats going on.

Here is the e-mail;

" Gentlemen,

Before I enroll everyone at M.C.C. for the firefighter II class I need to know if you have or have not attended M.C.C. before. If you have not attended I will need to submit additional paperwork. Below is the information about the class.

A/C Long

Firefighter II class
                M.C.C.
                1/16/07 - 6/16/07
                Tuesday, Thursday 7-10 pm
                Saturday 8 am - 5 pm"

So, in either case, looks like if Im going straight into FF II I will definatly need the head start.
                IACOJ

Comment

Since each course builds on what was learned in previous courses, that is definitely very odd that you would be scheduled to take FFII before FFI. I would doublecheck with the person that scheduled you to make sure he/she is aware that you have not yet completed FFI.
                  Tom Warshaw
                  Station 13 (Bethel)
                  Sumter Fire Department

"Scientists believe that the world is composed mainly of hydrogen because in their opinion, it is the most abundant element. I however, feel the earth is composed mainly of stupidity, because it is more abundant than hydrogen." - Frank Zappa

September 11, 2001. We Must Never Forget.

In memory of Thomas Sabella, L-13, FDNY

All opinions stated are my own and do not reflect the opinions of my department or any organization I may belong to.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyThirteen
                    Since each course builds on what was learned in previous courses, that is definitely very odd that you would be scheduled to take FFII before FFI. I would doublecheck with the person that scheduled you to make sure he/she is aware that you have not yet completed FFI.
                    I agree with 13......I just got my letter for my FF2 class info, and according to my state to obtain level 2 cert. you must be a FF1 for 1+ years. And looking over the course sylubus. You would be "lost" with out having at least basic firefigher knowledge. So I would look into this a bit further, meaning get level 1 prior.
                    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

IACOJ

Comment

*edited*...
                      Tom Warshaw
                      Station 13 (Bethel)
                      Sumter Fire Department

"Scientists believe that the world is composed mainly of hydrogen because in their opinion, it is the most abundant element. I however, feel the earth is composed mainly of stupidity, because it is more abundant than hydrogen." - Frank Zappa

All opinions stated are my own and do not reflect the opinions of my department or any organization I may belong to.

Comment

Looks like I don't need it... I just need to be on a dept.

"FIREFIGHTER II Credit: 12.00
                        1.2 Articulated Lab Hrs: 8.00 When: Fa Sp How: Lecture Hrs: 8.00
                        IAI Codes - Core:
                        Major:

Course Description: This course introduces students to basic fire fighting skills and equipment. Through classroom lecture and numerous practical exercises, students will gain an understanding of the theories of fire suppression and prevention, and become proficient in the operation of the tools and equipment used in today's fire service. The course contains three modules that provide the student with an education in all of the subject areas outlined in NFPA 1001, Standard for Fire Fighter Professional Qualifications - Level I. This course meets the requirements established to allow the student to sit for the Office of the StateFire Marshal Certification Exam for Firefighter II.

Notes: Sponsoring agency must have an equipment agreement on file with McHenry County College Business Services Office.

Prerequisites: As per the Illinois Administrative Code 140.50a, the student must be engaged in fire fighting in an organized Illinois fire department and provide National FireProtection Association (NFPA) compliant protective clothing and self-contained"
                        IACOJ

Comment

jerry4184, Not to pick nits Jerry but for PA FF2 you do not need your EMT. All you need in addition to FF1 is HazMat Operations class (24 hours) and Basic Vehicle Rescue operations Class (16) hours which has a pre-requsite class of Basic Vehicle Awareness (16) hours. These are not certs, just classes.

You certainly can get PA FF1 and FF2 within the same year no problem. You will have to travel to a test site maybe some distance but I doubt it would be that far as to be a hardship.

If you have all of the pre-requsite classes and projects complete and want to take FF1 and FF2 on the same weekend I believe it is possible, I know someone that did it many years ago. You will have to discuss this with the test site coordinator. I took the FF1 written test at a different site than the FF1 practical. The test site coordinators were very understanding and helpful with this. After I sent in my application for the test, I found out my daughter had a school trip the day of the written test so I was able to take the written 3 weeks earlier at a different site.

All of the PA state testing sites are pro-board FYI. Even so, there are so many testing sites in PA that I'm sure you could find a site near by that will test you anytime you want between March and November.

Getting back to the origional posters question. His state Illinois fire academy is not pro board certified. If it is anything like New Jersey, then FF1 and FF2 are earned through basically taking classes, not through a challange exam like PA. My opinion is that it is much harder to get pro board certified, but that is my opinion only. NJ FF1 is sort of like taking Essentials in PA and that is the reeason NJ FF1 is not pro board certified. Just taking essentials in PA will not come close to preparing you for the FF1 challange test.

Originally posted by jerry4184
                          I know in PA, you have to have at least your FFI, as well as EMT, and some other certs before even attempting the FFII test. Not to mention the testing facility closest to me, is both a proboard, and state testing site. They also only test one weekend a year, on the same weekend, so that you have to get a year as FFI before you can even get the chance to test again.
                          Last edited by thomas15; 11-22-2006, 03:46 PM.
                          FF/EMT

Comment

Originally posted by OlieCan
                            Looks like I don't need it... I just need to be on a dept.

"FIREFIGHTER II Credit: 12.00
                            1.2 Articulated Lab Hrs: 8.00 When: Fa Sp How: Lecture Hrs: 8.00
                            IAI Codes - Core:
                            Major:

Course Description: This course introduces students to basic fire fighting skills and equipment. Through classroom lecture and numerous practical exercises, students will gain an understanding of the theories of fire suppression and prevention, and become proficient in the operation of the tools and equipment used in today's fire service. The course contains three modules that provide the student with an education in all of the subject areas outlined in NFPA 1001, Standard for Fire Fighter Professional Qualifications - Level I. This course meets the requirements established to allow the student to sit for the Office of the StateFire Marshal Certification Exam for Firefighter II.

Notes: Sponsoring agency must have an equipment agreement on file with McHenry County College Business Services Office.

Prerequisites: As per the Illinois Administrative Code 140.50a, the student must be engaged in fire fighting in an organized Illinois fire department and provide National FireProtection Association (NFPA) compliant protective clothing and self-contained"
                            Doesn't sound like the IFSTA/NFPA FF2, I am currently enrolled in. Mine goes from now until sometime in April.....
                            NIMS portion alone is two days.....
                            Anyone else?

IACOJ

Comment

In South Carolina the FF training progression are as follows...

I believe the IFSTA course is 36 hours. At least that's what I'm reading on the SC Fire Academy site. Not sure if that is state specific or not though.
                              Tom Warshaw
                              Station 13 (Bethel)
                              Sumter Fire Department

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X