how hard to get hired??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how hard to get hired??

im on my local vollie dept right now and attending fire school. my question is, is when im done with fire1&2 and emt-b, how hard will it be to get hired on a paid department?? from what i gather its pretty hard unless you have full paramedic?? any info would be appreciated.

Follow this link. I am to hungover to write much.
    http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=84638
    It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

Comment

catch me tommorow with any extra questions.
      J
      It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

Comment

It is extremley hard. I once heard that for every Firefighter EMT opening your competing against approximatley 200 applicants and for every Firefighter Paramedic opening your going up against approximatley 15 applicants. Becoming a Paramedic will help out a lot but I suggest only going that route if you really have a passion for it. I have seen too many Firefighter Paramedic Probies let go due to horrible paramedic skills.

Don't give up. Never. Even when your bank account runs low, your driving hundreds of miles, sleeping in run down hotels, and your putting a strain on your relationship. It gets better, and you have to look at all the positives at the end of the road.

Believe me it is well worth it.
        Last edited by BKDRAFT; 10-14-2006, 11:44 PM.

Comment

I've taken test's with as many as 15,000 applicant's, took one where there were only 30 applicant's, 1500 applicant's, 300 applicant's, and where I am currently employed there were 8 of us and they were hiring for 3 position's. It all depends where you are testing at.

AZFF

Comment

It all depends on the area you apply. You want to get a job fast then apply down in the Carolina's. Otherwise most places are civil service and its all up to test scores.
            ******=================
            ******================
            ******=================
            ******================
            =======================
            =======================
            =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

Comment

Its only as hard as you want to believe it is!

My dept has about 400 to 500 applicants every time we test. we make a list that lasts 2 years. I had to test twice and passed twice. I was 36 the first time and #10 the second time I tested. If you go into with confidence you can do whatever you want. The guys that get hired do the research and practice every step over and over from makeing up practice phisical tests in there back yards to haveing there buddies interview them with a VCR to see how dumb ya look. Dont ever freak yourself out or make your self believ its to hard it just alot of work that is well worth it! Preperation is KEY! a well prepared man is a confident man! So hit the gym and hit the books!

AKDUDE

Comment

rule of thumb...

FF1 and FF2 are nice... but mean very little.
                EMS training is nice.... and means a little more.

Fact- you have to take the test to get hired. Most departments will send you through rookie school no matter what you come in with.

i have heard it said (In RE: to large departments) that you should expect to take ten test before you get hired.

You should start by mastering your test taking skills, working out and practicing for your interview (The most overlooked area by potentional candiates).

For example, i recently relocated to the mid west. I did alot of research as to the department i wanted to work for. Once i decided where i wanted to be i took thier test...along with six other. For my ideal department i had to travel over 24 hrs non-stop... I didnt do so well on the written as i wanted to but i passed (Ranked 74th out of approx 300, not the best odds). I stuck with it and followed thorugh with the rest of the testing. the CPAT was pass/fail. The interview was ranked after it was all said and done I was ranked in the top 10.

Now its the waiting game

Good Luck friend!
                "Some people train till they get it right, we will train till we can't get it wrong"

Is gaire cabhair de na an doras

Virtete et Valare Luceo Non Uro

Comment

Originally posted by Capazo
                  im on my local vollie dept right now and attending fire school. my question is, is when im done with fire1&2 and emt-b, how hard will it be to get hired on a paid department?? from what i gather its pretty hard unless you have full paramedic?? any info would be appreciated.
                  Go to medic school.
                  I know their are countless advocates of mastering the interview process and yada yada yada and a bad interview is the reason you didn't get picked up with just an EMT but the truth of the matter is I only know one person out of hundreds who got hired with just an EMT and they were in medic school.
                  I guess it all depends on what department you are applying for. If the department is BLS then obviously their is no need to go out and get your medic (still wouldn't be a bad idea though).Try to get a sense of the training level (ALS or BLS) and then try to at least match that level. That is my only advice. That and just keep training training training.

Comment

DO NOT go to medic school unless your heart is really into being a GOOD MEDIC. Seen too many people go to medic school just to get a BADGE and it show's in poor medic/people skills. I'm "just an EMT" and I was hired. I know many FF's who were "only EMT's" that were hired on. It's not impossible. It's all about how well you sell yourself to the oral interview board.

Comment

basically what I mean is that (for an ALS department) the gap between a good interview and an excellent interview is not enough to compensate for the gap between an EMT and a Paramedic.
                      I'm sure I'll get blasted for this but it's the truth

Comment

What are you willing to sacrifice?

I recently got hired in South Carolina, and I am originally from NJ. I packed my bags and relocated as soon as I got the call for this job. Some states are very political to get into, especially in the New England area. One of the three guys who got hired with me, was also from Michigan, and relocated down here to SC for the job, like I did. If you are willing to move, the opportunities are endless. You may have an easier time getting hired with a department away from home. I had Fire 1, ICS 100 and 200, Haz Mat Awareness and Ops and still had to attend the SC Fire Academy. Look into where you may want to work, and what they require to get hired. Alot of places don't care if you have certs or not, because they will put you through their own academy regardless, but ojt is a plus. Also, like mentioned earlier, EMT or Paramedic is definitely a good way to get your foot in the door, or have an edge over other guys who you are competing with for the job. Good luck.
                        Last edited by zeus0925; 11-23-2006, 08:30 PM.

Comment

i recently got " the "call from a very large department i would retire from if hired.. fortunatly i tested very well ( 14 from over 600 passing applicants) for 25 spots mixed medic and emt's. im only an emt. i feel blessed as this was my 4th written test and only my second interview... one requirement of this dept is after probation your sent to medic school. emergency medicine intersts me very much so that was a bonus for me. wish me luck i have my medical next week and if all is good i start in january..sorry if this dosnt make a whole lot of sense im tired. heres my .02

if you really want to be a medic.. DOO ITT!! you will be happy you did
                          if not keep taking classes and testing EVERYWHERE the more you test the better you are and the more interviews you will have and you will do better on each one. good luck

Comment

I just got hired as a Firefighter/EMT in south TX in a small city with a population of 35K+ with no experience what so ever.

I've been trying for 3 yrs now and for the past 2 yrs at this particular dept over 200 applicants would show up and take the entrance exam. Being Fire/EMT/Military would add 5 pts to your final score but I would just study really hard and I usually was in the top 6.

Earlier this year I took the exam and for some reason only about 45 people showed up for the exam. I believe there was a rumor that this year the dept was only going to hire 1 so that might have turned off a bunch of them.

I ended up being 3rd on the list and at the physical agility test the top ranked applicant couldn't complete the obstacle course so I got bumped up to #2.

Almost a year later and I get a call from one of the Captains that pending a drug exam I'm pretty much hired!!!

Just yesterday I was filling out the W-9 and on Monday I start my training.

If it didn't come through by the end of the year I was all ready planning on getting EMT certified & possibly going through all the way to Paremedic until I'd get the call.

Good luck and my only advice is to research the particular dept you want to get into.

Comment

16 years ago,I took the test for Memphis Fire Department and got accepted in the first round with just Navy damage control training for experience but I didn't show for the course due to having snagged a"better "job.
                              Whatta mistake that was.I got on a Kentucky volunteer department 3 years ago ,got my FF1 and 2 ,and left it due to retrun to my family here in Tennessee.
                              In the meantime,I've taken EMT training and am waiting for my school paperwork to be unFUBARd so I can take the registry exams.I also tried out for a suburb FD with 400 others trying out for 12 openings that they had but didn't make it that time.It could have been due to not having EMT,or fumbling an answer on the oral interview.It could have been that the odds weren't that good with that many folks trying for that many jobs.
                              Like others have said,you have to keep trying and between tries,take classes get licensed,and try to get some experience and not just in firefighting.Working construction teaches you how buildings are put together,for example.That's a useful knowledge base to have.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X