ICE in Phones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ICE in Phones

I am curious to know about if responders actually look for the "ICE" in peoples cell phones? Is it a decent idea (i.e. should more people do it)?

thanks

Honest question

I'm not sure that would be a problem. Cell phones have so little amperage (Yes, 1 amp can kill), but I don't think it could do anyone harm. Usually what will happen is that the phone simply will not work. The material that cell phones are made of (Usually plastic) does not conduct the electric current very well.

I think that if ice got into someones cell phone it's because of the situation the victim is/was already in and it's that situation that poses a threat to the victim.

But on the other hand it's a pretty good clue to pass on to the doctors at the hospital the victim goes to for treatment. This way the doctors will have additional information about the situation the victim was in and how to treat that victim.

Comment

hahahahahah. wow, that's a good one, I havn't laughed so hard in a while.

XRaysJL, he isn't referring to actual ice in phones (frozen water) but rather the extremly stupid concept of ICE, In Case of Emergency, that was an idea that went around, where you would put an emergency contact number in your cell phone, under ICE.

As I said, it's a stupid idea. it's good in theory (ok, maybe not good, logical would be better), but in reality, no EMS provider I know of will ever check a cell phone for an ICE number. if i need to reach an emergency contact, and I need to find a number, the first two names I am going to call is mom and/or dad. anything else is a matter for the hospitals to look up.

it might give someone a warm and fuzzy feeling, but it has no practical application in emergency servies.

Comment

what about putting a similar thing in your wallet, like behind your liscense? Any help? (I am just curious here, no alterior motives!)

Comment

In 7 years, I nor anyone else has ever opened up someone's cell phone and looked for an emergency contact. We have more important things to do... like patient care and transport.

In the event that I do something stupid and am incapacitated, I have no doubt that someone looking through my phone would figure it out without ICE. Things like "Home", "Mom", etc. Duh.
          Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Comment

I was gonna suggest that it was about a month early for ICE in phones but you beat me to it.Just put a chip under under your skin. T.C.

Comment

Originally posted by Rescue101
              I was gonna suggest that it was about a month early for ICE in phones but you beat me to it.Just put a chip under under your skin. T.C.
              ha, like in dogs?

Comment

Originally posted by mikie333
                ha, like in dogs?
                My sister who has no tattos of her own"because they hurt" has both her dogs and the two cats tattooed with their names and contact info for her.
                Go figure.

Comment

Oooops!

Originally posted by Dr Parasite
                  hahahahahah. wow, that's a good one, I havn't laughed so hard in a while.

XRaysJL, he isn't referring to actual ice in phones (frozen water) but rather the extremly stupid concept of ICE, In Case of Emergency.
                  Okay, how small do I feel? That's new to me. I should've known there was more to the "ICE" and not just frozen water.

Comment

I don't have ICE in my phone but in my glovebox of my car I have a sheet with all my stuff on it. I also included a copy of my insurance card. I also have one for my dad. Does anybody have an opinionon this? Will it help or did I just kill another tree?
                    J
                    It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

Comment

ICE alternative?

I'd guess a alternative to "ICE" would be references in the library in the cell phone like: "Dad", "Mom", ect.

That way the Emergency workers would know about the relationship. That's how I have it in my cell. They can scroll down until they see "Mom home" or "Mom cell".

Comment

Originally posted by nmfire
                        In 7 years, I nor anyone else has ever opened up someone's cell phone and looked for an emergency contact. We have more important things to do... like patient care and transport.
                        You mean you have better things to do like be a firehouse.com drama queen out of your 3,000 postings that is all you seem to do is start crap & egg flames.

Comment

You know, it is ironic. The only people that ever say things like that to anyone are the ones who can't otherwise defend themselves in the face of facts. I'm terrbibly sorry if my stating simple facts has made you angry but that isn't my problem. At least before, you kept your crap in the related threads. Now you seem to be seeking out old threads and bringing them back to life just to insult me completely off-topic. News flash, that isn't going to help you look better. But go ahead and keep running your mouth. You are digging your own hole.

Meanwhile, I'll be checking into a mental hospital to have my 'deep mental issues' looked into.
                          Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Comment

Who is this MutualAidMoron? Ex girlfriend?
                            J
                            It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

Comment

Originally posted by nmfire

In the event that I do something stupid and am incapacitated, I have no doubt that someone looking through my phone would figure it out without ICE. Things like "Home", "Mom", etc. Duh.
                              I'm in complete agreement.

I'll even go a step further, although I'm usually the one aruging that everyone goes overboard worrying about HIPAA, in this case you can bet that an cell phone entry doesn't qualify as a release. That unresponsive 19 year old you picked up on the college campus just might not want mama back home to know he's been out all night on a bender.

It is a useless, feel good idea that accomplishes nothing useful.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X