How many of you have earned names?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many of you have earned names?

I was wondering. How many of you out there have earned names from your instructors? Come on, don't be bashful. Whether they be good names or bad, I'd like to know. And how did you get them?

Mine is "Godzilla". I earned it because I'm 6'4" and pretty dang big (Not fat).
    My instructor was commenting one day about getting turnouts for those who still needed them. He made a comment, "And trying to fit Godzilla over there (Refering to me) is damned hard. He paused, and said to me, "That's your new name". It's stuck ever since.

I sure hope I'm not the only one here with a name.
    Last edited by XRaysJL; 09-29-2006, 01:41 AM.

Originally posted by XRaysJL
    I was wondering. How many of you out there have earned names from your instructors? Come on, don't be bashful. Whether they be good names or bad, I'd like to know. And how did you get them?

I sure hope I'm not the only one here with a name.
    Thurston. I run a lot with the station "next door" to my home station, their senior captain could never remember my first name (he's one of those types--tries to know all the guys/gals by first name, what they do outside the FD, etc)...so given I share the last name of a Gilligan's Island character, I became "Thurston". *LOL*
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

Comment

Moose has stuck to me like you wouldnt believe. 6'4 as well and bald so some of the guys with younger kids call me Shrek or Ogre. Its kinda cool the kids seem to not be as afraid ( plus doing the Shrek voice helps)

Comment

Last year,after my store got held up and I rode the getaway car across 5 o'clock traffic trying to shank the passenger,I picked up the nickname"Drug".The very next day,I was helping with a station visit by some Brownies and the Captain came by and told the kiddies my new name.
        In a town of 25,000 plus,it spread.

Comment

my nickname thoughout all of the dept's we work w/ is donk. Like off of crocadile dundee
          DONK

All that I have posted are only my opinions and absolutely have nothing to do with my department and any other affiliations.

Comment

I'm a northerner who's lived in the south for 17 years now, been on my department for 7 years and I've heard my share of D* Yankee comments. Some of the old timers started telling me either "You're my favorite yankee" (then telling me that i was the only yankee they knew) or by saying something like "You're the only yankee I've ever gotten along with" ... so I became Yank..... even says so on my helmet. :P

Comment

My nickname at my carreer job is "Jeeves"... they say I have an answer for everything. My Vol. Dept. heard about this and now I have the same nickname at both.

Comment

The guys on my vol department just call me kid. The instructor of my EMS class is a chicago firefighter and paramedic and he calls me probie. I don't know which one is better. At least it's not anything too out of the ordinary. I am a kid and everyone is a probie at some point, right?

Comment

I got my nickname last may at the FOOLS training by a very respected firefighter and instructor. I was the youngest guy there (20) and we were cutting roll-ups with the K12. This firefighter says alright cubby come over here and give it a go. It stuck from there and follows me wherever I go. I must admit if I had to get a nickname this one isnt to bad and considering who it came from I am quite honored that he gave me the time of day!
                  ----------
                  "Cubby"
                  FD343NY W6 Countless Others
                  Still Riding

Comment

guys at my firehouse call me "mini cooper" cause last name is cooper... so they just came up with that lol...

also "boy" and "jr" but being the rookie that is expected

Comment

Getting a nickname is a sign of acceptance... or rejection.

Some jakes and jakettes have more than one nickname... for obvious reasons.
                      ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
                      Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

Around the station....

One of our fire Lt's gives all of us explorers fish nicknames (dont ask), and I am "the gar". We don't really have any nicknames except for probies are either probie or rook. And Lieutenants and Captains are L-T and Cap'.

For some of the firefighters we have: (list taken from a previous post of Weruj1)

Stautz
                        Tons of Fun
                        Tea Bag
                        Tiff
                        201/2oh-fun
                        Lonard Divatz/David St Charles
                        Lou Dog/El-Dog
                        J-Dog
                        Kool-aid
                        The Wrinkles
                        Cramer
                        Boo/Boonifa
                        Little Ball of Hate
                        Cornacho
                        Todd/Trevor/Troy/=Trent-whatever the h#$l is name is
                        Raddelicious
                        Sean-Shaun
                        Pokey/Code 4
                        Junior
                        Alien Crazy
                        Last edited by backsteprescue; 12-31-2007, 01:34 PM.
                        ------------------------------------
                        These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
                        ------------------------------------

Comment

LOL My nick name is "Never Sweat" cuz im the young guy whos in shape lol..........and my other nick name is "Dont hang around that guy hell get you in trouble" lol for obvious reasons, yes i am the fire house prankster/clown

Comment

Giving one

I'm now the deputy chief for my station (I'll update my profile in a little bit). But I've got this one firefighter who happens to be female. She get's into all of our volunteer department business (In a good way). She makes sure everything is working and where it should be and she goes through every nook and cranny.

Needless to say I'm giving her the name of "Farret". I saw a pair as they were running around this house I was visiting and I saw them go through everything and go everywhere and it reminded me of her.

Comment

My nickname.....

Wyatt Earp, for many reasons.
                              "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X