live burn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• live burn

i got my frist live burn tonight is was cool. it was for the fire extinguisher class and we used gas and diesel fuel for the fire it was so cool and hot it started to get cold here and it felt great the heat for the fire.
    Unit 713
    Rineyville Volunteer Fire Dept
    www.rineyvillefire.com
    www.sfrtarea5.org
    www.Firefighternation.com

Member of IACOJ

Change your Clocks, Change your Smoke Alarm's batteries

Take a deep breath.

Ok, now I know your excited, but I have a funny feeling that your probably gonna see a little bit bigger fire than that one of these days. When you do, just remember to keep your cool. All the "fire extinguisher fires" I've seen have been pretty small.

Oh yeah, Congrads on seeing your first fire! I'm glad you liked it! Be Safe!!!!

Comment

I do my fire extinguisher stuff tomarrow. Hope I have as much fun as you did.

Comment

Originally posted by firesideky
        i got my frist live burn tonight is was cool. it was for the fire extinguisher class and we used gas and diesel fuel for the fire it was so cool and hot it started to get cold here and it felt great the heat for the fire.
        You think that was fun?! It gets better!!!!! You'll probably stroke out when you get some good interior stuff!

Glad your havin' fun! Study hard and stay safe!

Kevin
        Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
        IAFF Local 2339
        K of C 4th Degree
        "LEATHER FOREVER"
        Member I.A.C.O.J.
        http://www.tfdfire.com/
        "Fir na tine"

Comment

Thanks

Thank guys i hope i can a good firefighter when i finish college
          Unit 713
          Rineyville Volunteer Fire Dept
          www.rineyvillefire.com
          www.sfrtarea5.org
          www.Firefighternation.com

Member of IACOJ

Change your Clocks, Change your Smoke Alarm's batteries

Comment

Originally posted by fireman4949
            You think that was fun?! It gets better!!!!! You'll probably stroke out when you get some good interior stuff!

Glad your havin' fun! Study hard and stay safe!

Kevin

That was funny.
            Kid it is great to see your enthusiastic about the job. Best of luck to you in the futer be safe and stay low. There is alot more to come we guarentee it.

Comment

Just last month I went in my first fire, simulated, but fire nonetheless. And I got to wear my dad's N6A so it was one of the best days of my life.
              ------------------------------------
              These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
              ------------------------------------

Comment

live burn

I had my first live burn three weeks ago and like you I was completely thrilled. It was hot in there and now I really, really trust my equipment. Way too cool to put the fire out. The hardest part was getting the charged hose up the stairs, I was last on the line for that evolution and I was glad I've been working out extra. MUCH too much fun and good to have that under the belt. Keep safe.

Comment

Just wait

You think that was cool, just wait until you go into your first burning building. You'll get to REALLY feel the heat, see the flames rolling over the top of you, get so much smoke that you can't see your buddy who's 24 inches in front of you (You stick out your hand to make sure he\she is still there).

Yeah, live burns are cool.

Just remember, when it's real that means someones life is falling apart and they are counting on us.

Comment

Hey it's good to see all the enthusiasm here, and yes people will be counting on us for their LIVES. You bet I will be right with my partner, can't see much in there!

I thought maybe I was crazy to think that fire rolling over the ceiling was beautiful...since it was a live burn I knew it was controlled, in real life we'd be wanting to get that thing put out NOW.

Comment

Roll over

I remember when I was inside a burn and I had fire rolling over, I was alittle worried about shooting too much water up into the ceiling and inverting the thermal layering causing all my collegues to get steam burnt.

But after a bit I relaxed and enjoyed the view (When I had one to look at).

I'd guess that's the time to enjoy the view. Because in a uncontrolled setting (House / structure fire) you'd be too busy getting your job done to enjoy the view.

Comment

Originally posted by XRaysJL

I'd guess that's the time to enjoy the view. Because in a uncontrolled setting (House / structure fire) you'd be too busy getting your job done to enjoy the view.
                        Getting the job done does keep you busy, but you ALWAYS enjoy the view!

Kevin
                        Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
                        IAFF Local 2339
                        K of C 4th Degree
                        "LEATHER FOREVER"
                        Member I.A.C.O.J.
                        http://www.tfdfire.com/
                        "Fir na tine"

Comment

bro wait til you get a snotty basement fire. 0% visibility. 100% adrenaline. your bourkes will be melted before you even get to the bottom of the stairs.
                          Last edited by pipeman3179; 11-11-2006, 04:01 AM.

Comment

I did my level one burn a few weeks back, standard "take your gloves off, feel the layers" type stuff at first. Some of the more advanced guys were doing hose advancement into the burn house and they were readying to do one more when I finished up. Someone asked if any of us probies wanted to act a second line in and my hand shot up. The fire was reported as on bravo charlie corner 2nd floor. We went to bravo charlie 1st floor to check the ceiling/floor (our burn buliding is 2 floors) Well we check the door and felt some heat so we called to charge the line and made entry... we found a fully engulfed room. Put some wet stuff on the red stuff and called it a day. Seems the fire was mis-reported. No big deal really but that day was when I knew for sure that I need to do this for a living and that engine work is for me.
                            Last edited by FirefighterRI; 11-11-2006, 12:58 PM.

Comment

The real thing

We've just had the real thing here earlier this week. A campground office building went up in flames. It was closed for the off-season so no one was inside (Thank goodness).

Minor mistakes were made like driving off in a water truck without unplugging it from the air compressor. It's amazing how much of a "Tunnel-vision" your mind can get. I say "Minor mistakes" because as long as no one got hurt or had their lives in jeopardy, they are minor. Because of the rural location it took some time for all the surrounding departments to get on-scene and so the building could not be saved.

It's times like that when you say, "Thank goodness I've had some live fire training.".

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X