Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to start?

Hello again!

I'm in need of a little advise concerning what to-do next. I was an on-call Firefighter for two years, but had to stop due to college. I then rejoined after college, and now working on my level 1 (College prevented me from finishing my last two classes of level 1). I have noticed that the FDNY is now testing. Should I test even though I don't have level 1? Or should I wait until they test again (by that time I'll have level 2)?

Any other information would be great!

I went to college for Computer Science (2 year College), and now kicking myself that I didn't stick with Firefighting. I'm 24 years old now, and like many others out there, I want the "best job in the world" a great deal. Though I look at all the new recruits now and see that they are 18 and fresh out of High School. I'm fit, but still feel a little old to be getting into such a job. I'm wrong about my age, right?

Your not to old by any means. There are positives and negatives about being younger just like being older. I would test at any department possible to get all the experience you can. That way when the department you really want to work for begins testing you have all the confidence in the world and know what to expect. A lot of large cities could care less about your age and what you have already done. They just want a decent good person. They know they can teach you how to be a fireman.

Good luck and don't ever give up on your dreams.

Comment

From what I understand FDNY dosn't require a FFI or FFII certification, they put you though their academy even if you are certified. Send in your applicaton for the written before the dead line, or go ahead and wait the 4 years till the next written. I would say go through the process with FDNY and while waiting go ahead and get your FFII certification and get a job at a local dept, etc.

Please correct me if my info is wrong.

Comment

TheThe FDNY only accepts new applicants every 4 years? I should be applying just to get my name on the list, and every bit of test experience will help. I suspect that the FDNY is a competitive department to get into? Is it that way for any large city?

“Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.” - Unknown

Comment

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=77422
          This thread has ALOT(pretty much everything you need to know) of info on the FDNY hiring process

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/downloa...irefighter.pdf

Deadline for the FDNY written test scheduled for January 20th, 2007 is October 13th, 2006.

Comment

degree

bro get your degree, then join us. if FD doesnt work out for you you have plenty to fall back on. alot of guys that work with me got nursing degrees. thats a solid fall-back plan.
            Last edited by pipeman3179; 01-02-2008, 01:18 AM.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
            Working...
            X