Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Amber lights and POV's?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Amber lights and POV's?

    Let me start by saying that I have "NO" wish to have red or blue lights on my POV. I am interested in having amber lights as added saftey. Before I ask the question, let me explain:

    I am a rookie and I'm already the training officer with my volunteer department outside of a rural town in arizona. I'm already the training officer because I passed my fire marshals test in June and that makes me more experienced then most in my department. It's already been proven to me that I'm most likely to be first on the scene with my POV (Collegues will show with department apparatus after I arrive with my POV). Because I'm most likely to be first on the scene with my POV I am intersted having amber lights as added safety. My intention is NOT to be driving down the road with amber lights flashing but rather have the amber lights flashing when I arrive on the scene (Again, for safety reasons.).

    I've searched the internet and found a law (That generally refers to the use of additional lights) that states generally that a vehicle (Other then emergency vehicles) can have either amber or white in the front and either amber, white, or red in the rear window. But this does not specifically mention volunteer firefighters with POV.

    My question:
    Does anyone know of a rule/regulation that specifically mentions volunteer firefighters, POV, and amber lights?

    If no one knows of any rule/regulation, does anyone have any incidences whether they were harrassed by law enforcement?

    I've had one call where I had to work with law enforcement and I had amber lights flashing in my rear window. Law enforcement saw the lights but made no issue out of them. But one of my collegues (Who has the same experience as me....not much) mentioned that volunteer firefighters can have "No" lights (Of any kind) on their POV. As a safety issue I would like to have the amber lights but I do not wish to violate any of the rules/regulations.
    Last edited by XRaysJL; 09-16-2006, 09:31 PM.

  • #2
    Personally, if you really want my opinion....Save your money and respond from the station on an apparatus. Leave the POV at the station. It is a liability to your station and collegues.
    Buck
    Assistant Chief/EMT-B

    Comment


    • #3
      Although this is a great place for information, I don't think I would risk the hassles you may encounter based on internet advice from folks who may or may not be familiar with AZ state laws regarding your situation. I would probably make a stop in to the local DMV if it were me and get it from the horses mouth. Just my thought. Good luck and be careful.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by XRaysJL
        Let me start by saying that I have "NO" wish to have red or blue lights on my POV. I am interested in having amber lights as added saftey. Before I ask the question, let me explain:

        I am a rookie and I'm already the training officer with my volunteer department outside of a rural town in arizona. I'm already the training officer because I passed my fire marshals test in June and that makes me more experienced then most in my department. It's already been proven to me that I'm most likely to be first on the scene with my POV (Collegues will show with department apparatus after I arrive with my POV). Because I'm most likely to be first on the scene with my POV I am intersted having amber lights as added safety. My intention is NOT to be driving down the road with amber lights flashing but rather have the amber lights flashing when I arrive on the scene (Again, for safety reasons.).

        I've searched the internet and found a law (That generally refers to the use of additional lights) that states generally that a vehicle (Other then emergency vehicles) can have either amber or white in the front and either amber, white, or red in the rear window. But this does not specifically mention volunteer firefighters with POV.

        My question:
        Does anyone know of a rule/regulation that specifically mentions volunteer firefighters, POV, and amber lights?

        If no one knows of any rule/regulation, does anyone have any incidences whether they were harrassed by law enforcement?

        I've had one call where I had to work with law enforcement and I had amber lights flashing in my rear window. Law enforcement saw the lights but made no issue out of them. But one of my collegues (Who has the same experience as me....not much) mentioned that volunteer firefighters can have "No" lights (Of any kind) on their POV. As a safety issue I would like to have the amber lights but I do not wish to violate any of the rules/regulations.
        Up here any joker can run amber........Why do you want to look like a tow truck?? Can't your chief authorize the standard red or blues?

        Comment


        • #5
          Screw the discussion on lights.. this bothers me a lot more than the color of a light!

          I am a rookie and I'm already the training officer with my volunteer department outside of a rural town in arizona. I'm already the training officer because I passed my fire marshals test in June and that makes me more experienced then most in my department. It's already been proven to me that I'm most likely to be first on the scene with my POV (Collegues will show with department apparatus after I arrive with my POV). Because I'm most likely to be first on the scene with my POV I am intersted having amber lights as added safety. My intention is NOT to be driving down the road with amber lights flashing but rather have the amber lights flashing when I arrive on the scene (Again, for safety reasons.).
          ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
          Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by CaptainGonzo
            Screw the discussion on lights.. this bothers me a lot more than the color of a light!
            Yea, that gave me a chill, too...

            Comment


            • #7
              Who's the chill regarding?

              I haven't checked this posting in a week and a half until today. I'm curious, did someone post something which is drawing the comments then retracted them after the comments were made?
              Or are the comments about the color of the lights about me?

              If they are about me I'll clarify the situation. If not, then I can breathe easier.
              Last edited by XRaysJL; 10-25-2006, 05:33 PM. Reason: Misspelling the word "Breathe"

              Comment


              • #8
                Why Would you Not want Red Lights on your POV??? I have amber On My truck right Now but thats Because I Plow snow. no one will Pull over for you if you have just amber Lights or 4 ways on.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Runn11
                  Why Would you Not want Red Lights on your POV??? I have amber On My truck right Now but thats Because I Plow snow. no one will Pull over for you if you have just amber Lights or 4 ways on.
                  Did you even read this thread at all??? He said he wanted it for when he ARRIVES ON SCENE...Not to respond with.. Try reading the entire thread next time

                  And Gonzo that is quite shocking to read
                  If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

                  Ryan

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Lights

                    It really depends on the laws in your state, each state is different. For an example, South Carolina, You can run red lights, but if you run the lights the law states you also must run a siren, this is on your POV. North Carolina, you can run red lights, strobes in the head lights, and tail lights, only the Chief, or Asst Chief can have a siren, but an ocean water rescue divers that responds on the beach in a POV can run a siren when responding to the call. And some states, red lights are law enforcement and fire is blue.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      (uh oh...) 2+ year old thread has been revived...
                      Last edited by mikie333; 02-14-2008, 04:32 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by william28112 View Post
                        It really depends on the laws in your state, each state is different. For an example, South Carolina, You can run red lights, but if you run the lights the law states you also must run a siren, this is on your POV. North Carolina, you can run red lights, strobes in the head lights, and tail lights, only the Chief, or Asst Chief can have a siren, but an ocean water rescue divers that responds on the beach in a POV can run a siren when responding to the call. And some states, red lights are law enforcement and fire is blue.
                        Wow, that is really enlightening, glad you shared.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          In before the lock
                          Buck
                          Assistant Chief/EMT-B

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            This must be national save a thread month or something.
                            Hello. Fire dept.. You light'em, We fight'em!

                            "hard working, gear jamming, nail driving, "jake". "

                            IACOJ
                            4-16-2010 "On the approach"

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              There should be a way to automatically lock a thread after say, a year. Keep the jokers from dredging back to page 1 and quoting something to say "Yeah."

                              Comment

                              300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

                              Collapse

                              Upper 300x250

                              Collapse

                              Taboola

                              Collapse

                              Leader

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X