X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • clipse
    Forum Member
    • Sep 2006

Hello, Newbie here.

Just thought I would say, "Hi.". I'm an aspiring volunteer fireman. I applied to our volunteer fire dept. a couple of months ago and I'm just waitng for a spot to open up. Yes, thats right, there is a waiting list to get onto our volunteer fire department. Its awesome to have that kinda support from the comunitee. I just wish I could get on with the fire department. The wait is agonizing.

Still, what you guys do is awesome. I can't put, the respect I have for you guys into words.

clipse
    sigpic
  • RESERVEFORNOW
    Forum Member
    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by clipse
    ... a couple of months ago and I'm just waitng for a spot to open up... The wait is agonizing.
    Don't want to be negative on ya', but a couple of months is nothing for some departments. Be patient and keep doing what you can to prepare yourself while you wait. Good luck.

Comment

• clipse
      Forum Member
      • Sep 2006

Thanks. I know I need to be patient. I'm not the best at it but I'll will wait.

clipse
      sigpic

Comment

• clipse
        Forum Member
        • Sep 2006

I finally got on. It took 6 months of waiting. I'm very excited. My wife and I went to the Christmas dinner the other night. We got to meet alot of people. Did I mention that I'm excited.
        sigpic

Comment

• BMAIGM
          Forum Member
          • Dec 2006

best of luck to you bro! stay low...

Comment

• ChicagoFF
            Forum Member
            • Jan 2003

I finally got on. It took 6 months of waiting. I'm very excited. My wife and I went to the Christmas dinner the other night. We got to meet alot of people. Did I mention that I'm excited.
            Settle down. I waited 6 1/2 years for Chicago.
            I am a complacent liability to the fire service

Comment

• BMAIGM
              Forum Member
              • Dec 2006

Originally posted by ChicagoFF
              Settle down. I waited 6 1/2 years for Chicago.
              yeah really. 6 months is pretty much nothing. i know guys in ny that waited 9 years. it took me 2 1/2 and that was relatively quick, but well well worth it.

Comment

• clipse
                Forum Member
                • Sep 2006

Well, this is a rural volunteer fire dept in a county with less that 10,000 people. The FD responds to about 150 calls a year. I know alot of dept's take years to get onto. Still, the 6 months I waited seemed like a long time when I was as excited about it as I am. I'm happy that I got on here. I went on my first call last night. It was a structure fire. Not much of a structure fire though. It was smoldering and limited to one corner of one room. The local FD responded really quickly and we were able to save the house. No body was hurt and I learned alot. It was a good first experience.
                sigpic

Comment

• BMAIGM
                  Forum Member
                  • Dec 2006

i understand, 6 months wait for a small town may seem pretty long. congrats on your first run, hope you learned a thing or two. stay low.

Comment

• clipse
                    Forum Member
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by BMAIGM
                    i understand, 6 months wait for a small town may seem pretty long. congrats on your first run, hope you learned a thing or two. stay low.
                    I did learn alot. The Chief told me that in my spare time I could come in and go through the fire trucks and equipment. I learned last night that I need to know where, and what everything is.
                    sigpic

Comment

• jerry4184
                      Forum Member
                      • Nov 2006

Knowing what and where everything is is a good start. Helps when you're the gofer, (ie go 'fer this, go 'fer that). It's how i spent my first few months at my department, and a lot of other guys spent their first months as well.

Comment

• jerry4184
                        Forum Member
                        • Nov 2006

Knowing what and where everything is is a good start. Helps when you're the gofer, (ie go 'fer this, go 'fer that). It's how i spent my first few months at my department, and a lot of other guys spent their first months as well.

Comment

• hafftvfd
                          MembersZone Subscriber
                          • Sep 2006

you should do some training too. even if its just a vol. dept.
                          Versailles Fire-Rescue

Comment

• clipse
                            Forum Member
                            • Sep 2006

One guy thats been there for two years met me at the firehouse last night and we went over alot of stuff. I learned alot. I also have alot of questions that I'll be asking people.
                            sigpic

Comment

• BMAIGM
                              Forum Member
                              • Dec 2006

I also have alot of questions that I'll be asking people.
                              bring it on

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...