Not sure where to go.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not sure where to go.....

Very green to all of this. I currently work as a cable installer (go figure) and have been thinking about a career change, like many others have always wanted to be either a firefighter or policeman....currently leaning more so towards a firefighter. Just have a strong passion to help others, and would do anything to help in any situation. Just kind of doing some research on firefighting, I make a pretty decent living just would like some info on where to get started, like should I try being a volunteer firefighter first or try taking some college classes???

Any info anyone has would be great, I have nothing but respect for anyone who is/was/trying to be a firefighter.

If it was me, I would probably find a local volunteer fire department and start there. Inquire about their membership process, requirements to remain an 'active' member, etc. Volunteering would probably give you the best idea as to what the job entails; plus you get the opportunity to train, run calls, and gain experience/certifications all for free. I would take that route before I started paying for college classes.

What part of the country are you located?
    Do it because you love it, not because you love being seen doing it.

Comment

I live in IL in Woodstock.......close to IL/WI border

Comment

I can't offer much help with IL, but you might consider posting in the Illinois section of the Forums. I know there are several guys on here from IL and they might be able to direct you in the right direction in reference to the FD.
        Do it because you love it, not because you love being seen doing it.

Comment

New Berlin, WI is hiring POC firefighters. Written test is Sept. 9 I think. Not sure how close you are to the border. Would probably be a 45 minute drive at the most from the border to New Berlin. Might be kind of long, but that's all that I can think of that is hiring in SE WI. I too am trying to find a job so I will let you know if anything around this area(Racine/Milwaukee) comes up.

Comment

I am also looking for a career cahnge in my early 40's. I started by joining my local Fire dept.( a full time and call dept.) Where they give you a complete physical and a physical agility test(1.5 mile run in 13 minutes or less) From there they give you a background check and a driving record check. Then comes the interview. After getting hired you will be required to complete phase one of the academy( Firefighter1) and go through various training. It is very time consuming but I think it will be worth it. I have been trying for full time jobs for the past 3 years now and am finding it very difficult to get hired unless you are a Medic.You must pass the C.P.A.T. which is a very physically demanding test and the written test which includes a 100 ft aerial climb. It is definitely much harder than I expected but am hoping for the best. I have completed my level 2 firefighter training and am a nationally registered EMT. Good luck with your decision!

Comment

I started on a vol. FD when I was 18, I wasnt sure what I wanted to do, so I joined and Loved it. Now I am 21 and I am on my way to a full-time department. A volunteer department will help you decide wether you would like to do the job full time or not, not to mention all the free training that will get you on the right foot. It gives you a taste, and if you like it, you will not stop until you get it full time (or at least that was my experience).

Good luck

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
              Working...
              X