• fire49
    replied
    Sounds like have an informal chat with the Lt’s boss

Leave a comment:

• FF_MinStands
    replied
    Originally posted by fire49 View Post
    So how much longer on probation???

Say out of a month how many shifts do you have to work with this one person??

I am thinking go to Lt, Capt, or BC over you and just have an informal set down talk.
    This person is my Lt

Leave a comment:

• FF_MinStands
    replied
    Sounds like nothing to loose, before it goes much further

Who does you evaluations ,,, Who is the person actually responsible
    The very Superior I’m referring to does my evaluations and is responsible. Case in point, I recently had mandatory overtime with the oncoming shift- a different Superior. And my shift was night and day compared to my assigned shift. The team was helpful, answered my questions without attitude, actually asked me what I’d like to work on, treated me with actual respect and as if I was part of the team. New, yes, but part of the team. They teased me, sure but it was good natured, not berating. I still completed all my probie chores and training and studying, but it wasn’t at the expense of my morale or self worth.

This just isn’t a good trainer/trainee fit. And to be honest, I believe it is dangerous because I am not learning under such a hostile leader.

Leave a comment:

• fire49
    replied
    Sounds like nothing to loose, before it goes much further

Who does you evaluations ,,, Who is the person actually responsible

Leave a comment:

• FF_MinStands
    replied

I am thinking go to Lt, Capt, or BC over you and just have an informal set down talk.
    I have 8 months left on probation. I have considered talking to the BC but I'm worried it's going to bite me in the ***. I work with this superior every shift. 24 on 48 off. I feel a transfer to a superior I fit with better will save my career. IF that is an option. I still would like to train hard, do my probie responsibilities and be held to a high standard. But the berating environment is killing my morale and making it extremely difficult to focus on what I need to save someone's life, protect my own and save that of my brothers & sisters in the department.

Leave a comment:

• fire49
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Does this happen to everyone? Or just me? [Tough Probie Year]

Hi everyone,

[tl;dr: Morale broken Probie with 4 months in has an *** for a superior, isn't learning anything and needs advice on how to proceed: transfer, new department, or stick it out.]

I am a probie a couple months in at a busy station in TX and I'm feeling pretty low. The last to sleep, first awake, chores, cooking, no TV, physical training, lots of studying, pranks are all things I was prepared for and expected. But, I am dealing with so much more. And I'm having a hard time trying to figure out if this is normal, or if it's something I need to address or just continue to put up with. My supervising FF is just straight up...mean, for lack of a better term. I am being yelled at over conscious patients in the back of rescue ("you don't have a smart bone in your body, do you?" "you're a waste of my time"), having to catch the hydrant in full gear over 10x in a row with no break, my reviews are not good and the examples being used is stuff like "the toilet paper roll in bathroom 1 was not replenished" or I called the manufacturer of an apparatus Tyo instead of Tyco. It is constant, the entire 24 hours. Others in the department have come up to me and told me the FF is just a jerk and that everything is fine and I'm doing well. But I feel like my job is constantly being threatened. I'm here to learn and become the best FF I can be, but I'm constantly concerned I am missing something and the environment is so hostile that I can't learn like this. I have not had this experience floating to other stations. It's just this shift, this station, this supervising FF. Yes, they have been tough on me and had high expectations - that I can respect and understand. But this is something else.

I'm considering applying to the county adjacent to the one I am currently at. It would be closer to home. But, I'm reluctant because I don't know if I should expect the same treatment there, or if there is a step before leaving - speaking to my chief and requesting a transfer to a different shift or station. I also don't even know if that's possible as a probie in one department willing to go through recruit at another.

I want to do whatever is respectful, reasonable and best for my training in this career. I definitely do not want to rock the boat, but I just don't know if this is what I should expect. Any and all advice is appreciated.

Thanks.
    Last edited by FF_MinStands; 07-13-2021, 12:15 PM.

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X