New career fireman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New career fireman

Hey so I am about to graduate the academy for a busy city department and have a few questions. I am looking to purchase an extra set of structural gloves and a hood. Any recommendations? Also, what is some of the essential equipment to carry in my gear? Thanks!

Does your Dept let you buy and wear equipment you buy???

Need to ask

If so buy what the Dept uses, unless the let you deviate

Work a few months and see what others carry and use

Good luck,,, Stay out of trouble, have fun,,, learn
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

The department really does not seem to care. We are an in house academy that pulls guys from the field to teach us and they all say go out and get better equipment because the city stuff is garbage

Comment

Interesting, kind of same answer, you might work a few months and see what others buy,,, get pro con
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

Don't overload your pockets with a lot of unnecessary crap. Screw driver (combination flat and phillips head, not 2), small, or half, roll of electrical tape, channel locks (10 inch is fine. If that doesn't work, you need a wrench that is in the tool box on the rig), knife (nothing fancy or expensive. Something you won't loose sleep over if it gets lost or broken), 2 door chocks, 5-6 zip ties to secure downed wires that are NOT live. Just a few suggestions. As time goes on, see what you'll need and go from there...Good luck.

Be very careful about buying second gear, even gloves or a hood. If you get injured and are wearing something not authorized by your department, the city lawyers will tear you apart and say they won't cover full expenses for your injury. That you wouldn't have been injured, or not as severe, if you weren't wearing "unauthorized" gear. Find out where the city buys their gear and get yourself extra stuff there if needed. what city are you going to, if I may ask.
          Last edited by len1582; 08-09-2020, 01:07 AM.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
          Working...
          X