Frustrated probie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frustrated probie

Hey guys i just started my dream job a few weeks ago. I am a former volunteer and have all required certifications. I am having a really hard time with pumping and truck operations as far as memorizing steps. Drafting is a major weakness!! I feel really stupid and when ever I try to get cleared on a truck I make a mistake l, get ****ed off and fail. Any suggestions to get better? I know I put a lot of pressure on myself with it being my dream job.

Small 2 man crews mainly. Thank you for the advice!!

Comment

When you was in school did you ever make a cheat sheet and find out when you took the test you didn't even need it? (Me neither) However, the fact that you wrote it down (allegedly) and looked at it several times before you went to class (allegedly) made a big difference. The fact that it was there in your pocket (allegedly) helped you relax and think clearly. Do what fire5555 said and make yourself up some study cards. Simulate the actions at the panel when you are in the station. Keep those cards in your pocket when you have an alarm. You won't even need them.

Comment

Write each step on a series of flashcards ..in detail. Carry them around with you and when ever you have time ... Study them.

Go out in the engine bay and run through the steps without the truck running. Often.

Talk yourself through the steps.

It's all about developing the mental hard drive so that when the time comes it will be automatic.
        Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

BULLSH1T !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! good golly --- monkey see/monkey do? quit trying to memorize the steps -3 things to pumping an engine --POWER TO THE PUMP--- WATER TO THE PUMP- and WATER OUT OF THE PUMP - don't just pull a lever because its part of the process --get a creeper and a real teacher and LEARN
          ?

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
          Working...
          X