Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Ground ladder carries:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ground ladder carries:

I am having quite a bit of difficulty lately when it comes to ground ladders, primarily with a new technique that this other department uses. It is not so much the carry as it is getting it onto my shoulder. They teach the (this is going to be technical...) 'With ladder on beam face the tip with closest knee down, lift, pirouette, throw shoulder under upper beam, hopefully facing the butt and still on two feet' method. However for the love of me I cannot get it up onto my shoulder. And those very rare times I can get it even moderately close to my shoulder it is rather uncomfortable, borderline painful. This is all on the 24ft so not a big ladder and not particularly heavy. We're expected to be able to do this on a 28ft and perhaps a 32ft.

I have never had so much trouble with such a puny ladder; I usually high carry it and ultimately if tomorrow we were to get a ripper, that is what I would use out of expediency, but for the sake of testing I do need to get this method down.

Any tips? Even if it deviates from the prescribed method, as long as it is low carry I imagine that it will be okay.

I would be keen to learn how to actually do this, because at the last training I felt a bit like FMJ's Private Pyle...

Something like this::::

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h8zJ576...%3Dh8zJ576KgFg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

Thanks.

*On a side note did you find a time machine, the time stamp on your post is almost 2 hours in the future.... LOL just something I noticed*

Comment

that is ZUlU time

so is that the carry you are trying to do??

Comment

Funny I never noticed that before.

Anyway, yeah that is the carry. That method looks a little simpler, yet I am not sure how easy that will be on our 24ft... and I double checked, we're supposed to be able to do that on the 28ft too...

Comment

Just get with someone that knows how to do it and willing to put in a little training time

Comment

It takes practice and a certain amount of strength to do ladder carries.

I am no giant of a man but I can easily carry and raise both a 24 and a 28 foot extension ladder by myself. In fact I have a an older decommissioned 28 foot extension ladder with external guides that I use as my ladder around the house. I carry and raise that ladder by myself all the time.

I agree with the idea of getting with an experienced firefighter and working with them on the carries and raises.
              Crazy, but that's how it goes
              Millions of people living as foes
              Maybe it's not too late
              To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

You're right, to an extent some of it is simply that I need to lift a few more weights!

I know a few career guys, so I am going to try and work with them.

Thanks!

Comment

surprised to see that method with a 28 and 32, the weight difference between a 24 and those is significant enough, should be 2 person ladders for career longevity sake, in my humble opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by CATruckie81 View Post
                    surprised to see that method with a 28 and 32, the weight difference between a 24 and those is significant enough, should be 2 person ladders for career longevity sake, in my humble opinion.
                    Two is definitely better but sometimes reality interjects and you have to do it alone.

Comment

When it comes to ladder carrying (and almost all other) evolutions, it is best to just get out there and do it over amd over. Videos, diagrams and explanations by others can only get us so far and often complicates things further.

Here's my ideal ladder carrying evolution:

"Pick up the ladder. I don't care how. Carry it to where it needs to be. I don't care how. Raise it to where it needs to be. I don't care how. And if you're alone and the needed ladder is too big to carry, then drag the goshdarn thing."

Anyone who can't come up with a way to do this within about two minutes might not belong in the fire service. If it's a problem of strength, hit the gym.

And yes, my department also has long winded explanations for simple things.

Comment

Originally posted by captnjak View Post
                        When it comes to ladder carrying (and almost all other) evolutions, it is best to just get out there and do it over amd over. Videos, diagrams and explanations by others can only get us so far and often complicates things further.

"Pick up the ladder. I don't care how. Carry it to where it needs to be. I don't care how. Raise it to where it needs to be. I don't care how. And if you're alone and the needed ladder is too big to carry, then drag the goshdarn thing."

Anyone who can't come up with a way to do this within about two minutes might not belong in the fire service. If it's a problem of strength, hit the gym.

and if you have to get on the internet to figure it out --- you might want to rethink the fire service. Firefighting (correction -good firefighting) is still as hands on blue collar job, the best fireman have already learned how to WORK before they get on the job.
                        ?

Comment

Brother, after reading this and some of the other stuff you have posted lately I have come to the conclusion that we aren't so different at all.

Another great post by you.
                          Maybe it's not too late

Comment

Originally posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
                            and if you have to get on the internet to figure it out --- you might want to rethink the fire service. Firefighting (correction -good firefighting) is still as hands on blue collar job, the best fireman have already learned how to WORK before they get on the job.
                            You may find this funny. I got into a discussion at a family Christmas lastnight where I was told that within 20 years there will be virtually no blue collar jobs left. It was all I could do not to laugh in their face.
                            Maybe it's not too late

Comment

Absolutely agree with that... at scene, in training is another story all together. Training is where we make muscle memory so that you can do exactly what you outlined in your recent post, Get the thing up! The fireground is not the time to address a deficiency.

Whether you realize it or not, thats exactly why you did those same evolutions when you were being trained. For the young guys without the reps its not fair to tell them to simply "hit the gym," there is a lot of technique and fine tuning that can lead to a more efficient operation all the way around.

By the way guys, you know this is the Probie House thread right? Is it right for there to be a Probie House thread and we are in here as the guys "providing advice" saying if you have to ask questions on the internet find another job? Come on guys, either help the guy out or let someone else, not the place to discourage the next generation.

My opinion completely, not trying to start a war over ladder techniques

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X