Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

15 day EMT course/ Could use some advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where is the ambulance located at? Is it a Fri-Sun deal? The one I took is in Modesto at Abrams College. The head instructor Bob is very knowledge and funny as hell. Its 5 weeks Fri- Sun 8am-5pm.

For San Jose, I will tell you right now, San Jose will be VERY VERY competitive. I know because 5 people from my unit ( CAL FIRE Mendocino) as well as a dozen or so other people I know who are taking it with ALOT of fire experience. I am also going to take that test. If you want, take the Long Beach test by November 8th through national testing network. You dont need an EMT and its good experience to test around. If you havent gone through a fire academy, go through one. It will better help you if you really want to be a Firefighter. CalFire is also a great way to gain experience, knowledge and experience.

As for your parents,I recommend you put a list together about the reasons why you want to be a firefighter, a list of pros and cons for them on why you should do the EMT course. And if you want, bring them to a station and meet some of the guys/gals at the station and see what they do. I know a captain in San Jose who is very knowledge and very friendly. I can give you his info on what station hes at if you want.

If you cant do the fire academy, Up here in Mendocino we are hosting a Basic Wildland Firefighter Academy. Its free and you get most of the qualifications you need to get hired with us. I will be helping with this academy. its FRI Sat Sun for 9-10 weekends. I posted information and website about it underneath the wildland firefighting section in the forums.

Lastly, gain volunteer experience if you can. Some volunteer departments host EMT courses as well. I know theres one near San Jose called Spring Valley Volunteer Fire Department. I dont know how far you are away from this but I HIGHLY recommend looking into it at least. Heres the website- http://www.svvfd.org/ Thats how I started in the fire service was by being a Volunteer Firefighter.

Please dont hesitate to ask me any questions, or concerns you may have. I will help you as much as i can. I wouldnt be where I am today without the help of others in the fire service and what I need to get in.

Goodluck
    Last edited by Gino_Galli; 10-12-2013, 12:59 AM.

Comment

@fire49 - Thank you!
      @Gino - Wow! Thank you! The 15 day class is Monday through Friday. I've decided that I'm just going to wait till next semester to take my EMT. I do have a few questions.
      1: When are you going to be taking the test? I am taking it Oct. 24. Just wondering: Why do want to work for SJ?
      2: Who do you know in SJ Fire? I know a lot of the people who work for SJ Fire, so I'm curious.
      3: Is housing available for the Wildland Firefighter Academy? I am very interested in it, its just the logistics are a problem for me.
      I was thinking about applying with CalFire again this year, but I have a feeling that if I don't do that Academy, my chances of getting hired are going to be the same as last year.
      As for my parents: I've decided that I'm just going to focus on getting hired, not on trying to get them to understand why I want to be in the fire service. I have tried so many times to try to get them to understand, that its gotten to the point I've stop talking about it to them.
      I will look in to the Spring Valley Department. I had heard about them about a year ago, but wasn't sure if they were a legit department.

Comment

1) Depends when we get laid off for the fire season. Either the 24th or Nov 7th. I want to work for them because its a great department, and a fulltime ( year round) job not seasonal like CAL FIRE.
        It is hard to be a Firefighter 2( Year round firefighter) with CAL FIRE unless you are a Paramedic.

2) Last name Chua. He worked with my dad for 10 years as a firefighter before my dad retired after 16 years.

3) Housing may be available for the wildland academy. It is located at our headquarters in Willits and during that time their will be noone their except academy personel and captains/chiefs. When on the academy website, you can email for questions I believe. I would ask to see if thats a possibility. Theres alot of empty beds.

4) For CALFIRE, I know on the website it says minimum requirements are to be over 18. But actually to get an interview, Minimum is to be an EMT or First Responder ( But mainly EMT), The CAL FIRE 69 ( now 180) hour basic wildland academy cert, Hazardous Materials First Responder Operational, and Confined Space Awareness. The more classes you take, the better. This academy will help you with pretty much all 4 and then some. And its FREE! This course normally cost $500+. I recommend applying for all 21 units ( the 9 lower units you must hand in personally, and the 12 nothern you can mail in so start there). You dont know until you actually do it.

I believe I met some guys from Spring Valley while I was on the Rim Fire. It is a legit department, and most departments is experience no matter if legit or not. And most of the time you get the right qualifications through them ( such as FF1).

Comment

#1: I hope you get hired with SJ! I'm glad someone else thinks SJ Fire is a great department. The city is making them out to be the bad guys, so not a lot of people want to work for the city.
          #2: hmm..I'm not sure I know him. What station does he work for?
          #3: I will email and ask. I will let you know if I hear anything. If housing is available, that would be a big help. Plus, can't beat FREE!!! I just would need to figure out my work situation and the other five days that I would have off from class. ( I just realized that I don't finish my semester till Dec. 18. my classes are Monday/Wednesday.)
          #4: You have just managed to convinced me to apply with CALFIRE.
          #5: Good to know.

Thank you very much!!
          Last edited by FF14; 10-13-2013, 12:40 AM.

Comment

Actually, I can think of no better way to spend my time than training, reading, and doing the JOB. I farm and ranch, have two little kids, have a wonderful wife, and i am generally busy as hell.
            I could spend all of my time on a smart phone(don't have one) join a fantasy football league, go to the bar all the time, but I don't, I am a student of fire.
            You could spend your time doing a lot less worthwhile stuff than working toward a career in the fire service. Good luck and give 'er hell!
            The fire service is about service to our fellow man.
            There is a trust that must not be broken and we are the keepers of that trust.
            Captain Dave LeBlanc

Comment

@conrad427 - Thank you! A little off topic, but...You can be busy as hell and still be in a fantasy football league!! I am I just set my lineup at the beginning of the week and only check it on Sunday when my team (49er's) are playing.

Comment

No problem. Yeah CALFIRE doesnt get paid alot, matter of fact we get paid less than majority of the paid departments in California. You have to work more than 5 seasons before you can start making goooooood money. But we are an all risk department so we go on medical aids, vehicle accidents, public assists, structure fires, etc. So you gain alot of experience and you work 72 hours on and then 96 hours off ( 3 on 4 off). If you can take the academy, it will be very beneficial for your future in the fire service.

Comment

You could go to NCTI in Livermore. They have an EMT course starting Jan 6, ending March 22nd. 2 nights a week and all day Saturday. Whats the company your thinking about offering the 15 day course? Also, guessing your applying to SJFD? I am too.

Comment

@tattedfire86 - Thanks for the info. I'll look into it(just need to get my driver's license by then).
                    The company I found was Silicon Valley Ambulance company. Yes, I did apply with SJFD, but it looks like if I can't get my EMT done by April, I won't get hired this time around. Most likely, I will be put on the list for the next academy the department will have (maybe in 2015). Do you live around SJ and do you have your EMT?

Comment

@ FF14

make sure to at least get enrolled in an EMT class by April or you wont be put on a list. The list is good for two years from April ( so expires April 2016) and depending where you rank on the list you can qualify to get hired. But like I said, without EMT they may not even accept your application.

Comment

@Gino_Galli

Thanks for the heads up. I definitely will be enrolled in an EMT class by April.

Comment

@Tattedfire86 - I saw your message on my page. I tried to pm you, but you don't have it set up. - I wish you the best of luck with SJFD. They are a really great department to work for. If you have any questions or want to do any ride-alongs with the department, just message me. I will hook you up with some really great captains.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X