What to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do?

I'm currently a senior in High School(with an EMT-B) and I got accepted into Cal state long beach. My ultimate plan is to graduate college with a degree in international business and during those 4 years, attend paramedic school. I also plan on applying to LACoFD and LAFD when I turn 18 (Just in case miracles do happen.)

My counselor told me that it's better to go to a community college, get a 2 year degree in fire science, then transfer to a 4 year school and finish up. But when I asked my neighbor (LA county captain) He said that if he were in my shoes, he'd go directly to a 4 year and start working on an ambulance part time..

What do you guys think?

(In California)
    Last edited by jay_kular; 04-01-2011, 11:25 PM.

Is it cheaper to do two years at Jr then transfer?

Or is it about the same price??

And how are you doing in school?? College is a little change from high school

Just make sure you talk to the four year college to see what and how many hours they will take from the jr
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

Jay,
      I too am in California. I received my bachelors and masters from CSULB. I also spent 23 years on the Long Beach fire department before taking a promotion on another department.

My advice is to put your head down and focus on school. Concentrate on your bachelors degree and don't even think about the fire department. Very few people are hired at 18 - 21. It's even less likely in the current budget state. Long Beach FD for example has eliminated a bunch of positions and will likely eliminate more.

I believe things are beginning to loosen up but it will take a while for it to get better. When it does there is a group ahead of you that has already earned degrees and graduated from the fire academy.

During the lull in hiring you should go to college, enjoy life, and not worry about the fire department.

At 23 you will have earned your degree and will be starting fire science courses. By then you are marketable. More importantly you have a 4 year degree which sets you ahead of the competition.

As an 18 year old with some time on an ambulance, a handful of fire science courses, and working toward paramedic school you are just another face in the crowd. You want to set yourself apart from the rest of the herd. A bachelors degree is a good start.

Good luck with your decision.
      Paul Lepore
      Division Chief
      Aspiringfirefighters.com
      AspiringFireOfficers.com

Comment

Originally posted by paulLepore View Post
        Jay,
        I too am in California. I received my bachelors and masters from CSULB. I also spent 23 years on the Long Beach fire department before taking a promotion on another department.

My advice is to put your head down and focus on school. Concentrate on your bachelors degree and don't even think about the fire department. Very few people are hired at 18 - 21. It's even less likely in the current budget state. Long Beach FD for example has eliminated a bunch of positions and will likely eliminate more.

I believe things are beginning to loosen up but it will take a while for it to get better. When it does there is a group ahead of you that has already earned degrees and graduated from the fire academy.

During the lull in hiring you should go to college, enjoy life, and not worry about the fire department.

At 23 you will have earned your degree and will be starting fire science courses. By then you are marketable. More importantly you have a 4 year degree which sets you ahead of the competition.

As an 18 year old with some time on an ambulance, a handful of fire science courses, and working toward paramedic school you are just another face in the crowd. You want to set yourself apart from the rest of the herd. A bachelors degree is a good start.

Good luck with your decision.
        The perfect answer to this question! The only thing I might add to this is that if you really feel the need/desire to be involved in the fire service, find a way to volunteer with your local departments a few hours a week/month. Its experience that money cannot buy.

Check out Chief Lepore's book too! It helped me along my journey to getting the badge

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
        Working...
        X