Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first tour starting Wednesday

Hey boys!
    I go to shift Wednesday and would like to hear some advice in any form. Thanks for the help in advance!

Where do you work at and congrats.

Comment

Thanks! I work for Los Alamos Fire Dept. in New Mexico

Comment

Look's like a pretty good department from what I can see online. Good luck on your first shift stay alert and listen to whatever your captain say's you will do fine. Keep your ears open and learn as much as you can from the veteran's. Hope all goes well keep us posted on how the first shift goes.

Comment

Thanks! I appreciate the words of advice! have any good ideas for meals? BTW, it is a great department. These guys have their heads on straight from what I saw and learned in the academy!

Comment

I made a rule as a probie that unless I was told to, I wouldnt set down in a recliner until after 9pm. Stayed busy cleaning, making coffee, going over tools/trucks, asking questions, studying maps, etc. Now if everyone is sitting chatting at the table ok, but otherwise no. Like in the morning when everyone is catching up at the table, try staying in the room but dont set down. Clean up, do dishes and stay right on top of the coffee. Things like that will make your year go easy. After a while they will start to slow you down and let you hang out more. After you earn it.
            "It's a living thing brian..."

Comment

Let us know how it went...
              "It's a living thing brian..."

Comment

Good luck and congrats!

Like was said earlier, learn everything you can. Study the trucks, learn where every tool is located, learn the equipment, study your map book, do drills, practice your knots, practice with your SCBA till you can do everything you need to with gloves on in the dark.

DON'T just sit down and start watching t.v.

Also always make sure there is a fresh pot of coffee
                Brian Irey

My comments are mine and mine alone - they do not represent any thoughts or views of my department or anyone else

Comment

Hey boys! My tour went well. It was very hectic and a lot to absorb! my crew is very helpful and willing to give any pointers I ask for. I am glad to get a few days off, but kinda wish I was going through the trucks learning where everything is and how to operate everything correctly! hope the next tour allows time for more truck and map studying! Thanks to all!

Comment

why wait untill next tour, go back there and study your apparatus. Just a hint in what helped me with HFD, take pictures , make a book of your pumper or truck. you will be amazed if you just study the pics how fast you pick up. Also just dont learn the tools learn how big each compartment is, learn your generator on there who makes it what voltage? learn the pump what type of pump is it, learn the engine and transmission. Learn these now you will be a good E/O when its time to ride up after probie time . Learn them, Those type of skills will make you either a good firefighter or just the average firefighter!

Comment

Read this book if you are a rookie or probie.

A Dallas firefighter / paramedic just published a book about succeeding during your rookie years. It is the only one like it. Many cover applying or interviewing, but this is the only one that helps you once you are on the job. It covers everything, has tremendous detail and is a must read for newbies everywhere.
                      Good luck! Stay safe.
                      Last edited by webteam; 06-28-2011, 12:11 PM. Reason: advertisement

Comment

Hope you guys are safe up there in Los Alamos..

-Damien

Comment

All previous advice is right on. Also, as station cook for over 10 years I also know the value of a good, affordable meal. Find a couple of good recipes and step up the next time a cook is needed.

Comment

Rookie

Just a word of advice......be careful what you say or ask. With today's technology i.e. Facebook and Web Sites like this , your comments could bite you in the rear during dinner. Good luck and remember....."First in and last out."
                            Respectfully,
                            Jay Dudley
                            Retired Fire
                            Background Investigator
                            IACOJ-Member
                            Lifetime Member CSFA
                            IAFF Alumni Member

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse