• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• adam015
    replied
    Originally posted by skschilling View Post
    Good Morning All,

I was wondering about the process of owning a dog and being hired as a firefighter. I am about to graduate from a fire academy and was planning on going to the pound and picking out a companion. However, the more I think about it, as a young, single aspiring firefighter, looking to work anywhere, any shift, any time, how would that impact having a pet? Does anyone have experience with this? Working up to 3 days at a time especially as a Probie? I'm planning on applying to every CalFire headquarter I can, and (fingers crossed) getting hired could bring a possibility of leaving for weeks at a time even. So if anyone has a "I made it work" story or "no way" story, I'd love to hear it. Thank you for your input.
    I actually just let my yellow lab of 2 1/2 years go live with a family friend. When ever I would leave or come home from the fire house he would pout and cry all the time. I thought he would stop after he got use to my schedule but nope. I contacted a close family friend and pitched him the idea. After 2 days he called me and let me know he was doing great and has plenty of room to run and play out in the coutry. I miss him very much but I know hes alot better with him. Dogs need to be close to there owners and I know mine really missed me when I was gone.

If you live alone, I would not suggest getting something that requires alot of attention. Its just one less thing you have to worry about and gives you more time to concentrate of your new job search.

Hope this helps,

Adam

Leave a comment:

• mrpita
    replied
    Originally posted by JJR512 View Post
    You're right, it isn't Mr. EMT, because there are no EMTs in my house. As for your line of reasoning...well I can't really comment on it, because it doesn't seem like you've actually done any reasoning at all. You took a comment that was made entirely in jest, faultily jumped to an erroneous conclusion, and are now trying to cover it by being insulting, I guess. Good for you.
    Wow, the irony is so thick you could choke on it...

Leave a comment:

• JJR512
    replied
    Originally posted by Jonnee View Post
    I know who wears the pants in your house and it isn't mr emt.
    You're right, it isn't Mr. EMT, because there are no EMTs in my house. As for your line of reasoning...well I can't really comment on it, because it doesn't seem like you've actually done any reasoning at all. You took a comment that was made entirely in jest, faultily jumped to an erroneous conclusion, and are now trying to cover it by being insulting, I guess. Good for you.

Leave a comment:

• Jonnee
    replied
    I'm married and have children. I have no idea how you could have possibly come up with that conclusion, it doesn't logically follow.
    I know who wears the pants in your house and it isn't mr emt.

Leave a comment:

• JJR512
    replied
    Originally posted by Jonnee View Post
    Depends on the woman too. Guess you aren't married, eh?
    I'm married and have children. I have no idea how you could have possibly come up with that conclusion, it doesn't logically follow.

Leave a comment:

• Jonnee
    replied
    Dogs are easier to train.
    Depends on the woman too. Guess you aren't married, eh?

Leave a comment:

• Tooanfrom
    replied
    And in a lot of cases --better looking.

Leave a comment:

• JJR512
    replied
    Originally posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    I like the human female better than any!!
    Dogs are easier to train.

Leave a comment:

• Engineer mtl
    replied
    I went with both the dog and the human female and the biggest problem I see is the human famale complains about taking care of the dog! So if you keep the dog out of the mix you should be okay. They really do need the contact with thier masters, or maybe any human!

Leave a comment:

• CaptOldTimer
    replied
    I like the human female better than any!!

Leave a comment:

• ffbam24
    replied
    Yeah, I was going to suggest fish or a cat. They could really care less if you're around.

Do not get a dog.

Leave a comment:

• BULL321
    replied
    How about Sea Monkeys?

Leave a comment:

• ChiefKN
    replied
    Consider an ant farm.

Leave a comment:

• Tooanfrom
    replied
    Simples--lock dog in confined space--leave dishes of food-marked Monday -Tues- Weds! Go to work--explain to neighbours that the howling will stop when you come home again.

You are a plank--dogs need human contact(but in your case?)

Do not get dog!

Leave a comment:

• Jonnee
    replied
    Originally posted by skschilling View Post
    Good Morning All,

I was wondering about the process of owning a dog and being hired as a firefighter. I am about to graduate from a fire academy and was planning on going to the pound and picking out a companion. However, the more I think about it, as a young, single aspiring firefighter, looking to work anywhere, any shift, any time, how would that impact having a pet? Does anyone have experience with this? Working up to 3 days at a time especially as a Probie? I'm planning on applying to every CalFire headquarter I can, and (fingers crossed) getting hired could bring a possibility of leaving for weeks at a time even. So if anyone has a "I made it work" story or "no way" story, I'd love to hear it. Thank you for your input.
    You going to get a dog, eh? I like female ladies better!

Why not get a girl or boy friend whatever your like?

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X