Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skschilling View Post
    Good Morning All,

I was wondering about the process of owning a dog and being hired as a firefighter. I am about to graduate from a fire academy and was planning on going to the pound and picking out a companion. However, the more I think about it, as a young, single aspiring firefighter, looking to work anywhere, any shift, any time, how would that impact having a pet? Does anyone have experience with this? Working up to 3 days at a time especially as a Probie? I'm planning on applying to every CalFire headquarter I can, and (fingers crossed) getting hired could bring a possibility of leaving for weeks at a time even. So if anyone has a "I made it work" story or "no way" story, I'd love to hear it. Thank you for your input.
    I actually just let my yellow lab of 2 1/2 years go live with a family friend. When ever I would leave or come home from the fire house he would pout and cry all the time. I thought he would stop after he got use to my schedule but nope. I contacted a close family friend and pitched him the idea. After 2 days he called me and let me know he was doing great and has plenty of room to run and play out in the coutry. I miss him very much but I know hes alot better with him. Dogs need to be close to there owners and I know mine really missed me when I was gone.

If you live alone, I would not suggest getting something that requires alot of attention. Its just one less thing you have to worry about and gives you more time to concentrate of your new job search.

Hope this helps,

Adam
    *Always leave the job a little better for the next guy*

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse