Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Interested, have questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interested, have questions.

Last edited by wlgorman; 07-06-2011, 11:12 AM.

As for pay, you'd have to check and see what depts make in the area you'd like to work. I assume you're still in the DFW area. This has its pros and cons. Pro: Metro area depts usually make more than rural depts due to the cost of living. Con: There are usually an insane number of applicants for each position.

Check into ALL the depts in your area. I'm not sure what TX does, but there are many departments out there that will hire an excellent candidate that has what they are looking for in a FF and THEN send him to the academy, while paying for everything and paying his salary. It sounds like this would be the cat's meow for your situation. It will take some research to find out which, if any, depts near you will do this. Apply at any dept like this, even if it's not your dream dept. Get hired, get your certs, get some experience and if you're not happy after a year or two, then you've got your certs to apply to the depts that require you to be fully trained. Do you want the job bad enough to relocate? Look outside the area for other opportunities and increase your chances. Take every test you can and work on your oral interview since it's usually what 100% of your ranking is based.

Another option is to check in with the local community colleges about their academy classes. Many will offer a full time academy that takes a semester, but they might also offer one that meets once or twice a night each week and then on Saturday for a longer period of time. Not all offer this option, but you might luck out.

Another option, which I don't know much about except that it exists, is becoming a private firefighter in the oil industry. With your background, that might help in hiring, but I have no idea how their requirements different, pay, shifts, training, etc.

Whatever option you choose, be prepared for it to consume your life while you're in the academy. I went through an academy full time sponsored by my dept and I was up each morning before 5, academy was from 7:30-4:30, then I'd ready, prep and study until 10 each night. Make sure your family understands this FULLY before you start. It will be tough, but the outcome is the best job in the world.

As for scheduling, each department is different. The most common schedule is 24 on/ 48 off, but there are lots of variances. Good news is that usually after your probation is over, there's usually a substantial pay raise. If you have to, with your days off, you can work a second job, but I'd wait to commit to that until you're off probation. Eventually, if it interests you, look into becoming a paramedic. It usually greatly increases your chances of being hired and also includes a pay raise. Many depts will pay for some or all of medic school, too.

Good luck.

Comment

I was in the same situation minus the family to support. I started when I was about 24. I went to a local community college to obtain my FF and EMT certs. It was a few times a night and it allowed me to work full time. I would guess your average salary in a smaller communities would be in the 40's. I hope this helps.

Comment

I would look into some of the cities in your area that are paid and speak with them.. Most paid depts will hire you with no experience or certs and pay you to go to the academy. this way you still get money for your family and can pursue your family tradition.

Comment

check this site weekly

http://www.tcfp.state.tx.us/employment.asp

and it will give you an idea of pay and certifications needed if you want to stay in texas, also some cities will send you through all the training, just not sure which cities down in your area.

also, are willing to move in texas?????

check the city of san antonio web today, they are taking applications soon if not today, and they do thier own training.

most cities want tx firefighter certification, and emt of some level

there are a couple of online places, you do the book work then spend a solid week or two doing hand on

http://www.trainingdivision.com/Academy.asp
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

Comment

If you can't relocate, then check with every department within commuting distance. Also check as many departments have some kind of residency requirement. In my area, you must live either in county, or a bordering county. In some areas, you might have to live within an hour commute in case you get called in. This can vary from departments, just as cert requirements. Check with them ALL!

Ideally you'll find a dept that will pay you while you're in the academy. As mentioned above, there are online academies. I'd be concerned about losing out on the hands on training.

Something else I thought of since I last posted... This will be a long road, but it might work out as another option. A lot of volunteer departments will take you on with no training. Then they *might* offer FF1 classes over many months. Good thing is these are usually in the evenings and weekends. Also, you only might have to pay for the books (less than $100). If you decide to go this route, be upfront with them. Also explain that when you get hired full time, you will still try to meet their volunteer requirements around your schedule.

Comment

Comment

about the only cities that take you off the street are dallas and fort worth. fort worth just tested, you might check dallas, but they are so far in the hole money wise that they may not hire for awhile.

yes most of the cities around dfw require you to be certified and most want paramedic.

once again this place you do the book work then spend a week or two with them for the training and to prep you for the state test. this is the easiest way if you can study on your own:: call them they would be glad to talk to you and answer any questions.

http://www.trainingdivision.com/Courses.asp

another route to go is get paramedic cert and some departments will put you thorugh the firefighter portion

Comment

Everyone (and I mean EVERYONE) wants to work for a career department. There are 1000's of applicants. I wish you the best. Check out trainingdivision.com. They're the best online school available and have a good reputation here in Texas.

Take care.
                    Pete

Comment

Comment

No, it's in Crowley Tx, just outside of DFW area. But their facilities are really nice and the instructors are great.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Pete

Comment

not sure if the tx state forest service does or not, check the tx fire chiefs assoc.

Comment

Comment

Hey wlgorman, I am in the same situation as you. Well I don’t have kids, but I went to college after high school and have been working in "corp America" (Houston) for about 4 years. I cannot stand it! I would love to wake up every morning and not dread going to work. I have always wanted to be a firefighter since I was a small kid, but I also wanted to go to college. While I was in my final semester in college I was looking into FD's in the Dallas area, but then I got offered a job making more money than I ever expected. Now I hate it, but cannot afford to drop everything and start taking classes hoping a FF job will come along. I am looking into the TCFP Basic Fire Fighter and an EMT-B through Houston Community College. They offer an online course for the book work and Saturday classes for the hands on training. It is about $1,800 plus $600 for the EMT-B. My wife is still in college here in Houston so I have a few years to take the courses. After that I also intend to look into the Dallas Metro/North Texas area for a job. Good luck and let me know how it is going.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X