Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Navy rate in regards to future career

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Navy rate in regards to future career

I am 17, previously a fire explorer from washington state. I am enlisting in the navy soon after my graduation in may. My goal is to earn money for college and some experience. I have a very high asvab score and qualify for nearly every program. I have heard that the DC rate certifications dont carry over to the civilian side. What navy rate should i take in order to improve my chances of becoming a firefighter/emt? After my enlistment should i get a fire science degree or apply right out of the navy? any advice you could give me would be much appreciated. Thank you

Send me a pm and I can give you some information.

Comment

Originally posted by justinullman View Post
      I am 17, previously a fire explorer from washington state. I am enlisting in the navy soon after my graduation in may. My goal is to earn money for college and some experience. I have a very high asvab score and qualify for nearly every program. I have heard that the DC rate certifications dont carry over to the civilian side. What navy rate should i take in order to improve my chances of becoming a firefighter/emt? After my enlistment should i get a fire science degree or apply right out of the navy? any advice you could give me would be much appreciated. Thank you
      Been there done that, started as an explorer went into the Navy for Damage Control (DC), got out and did become a career FF. You're right that the rating certifications don't carry over, but there is no need to worry about that. While the certs don't carry, the experience does help immensely. There are many similarities to equipment used in the Navy and on fire departments, but there are things you learn in the Navy that isn't taught in most schools. There are also fire suppression systems a DCman will work on that can come in handy as a FF.

One thing to remember, there is no defensive operations in the Navy, any firefighting is very aggresive, there is no surround and drown. As a DC, another responsibility is to teach damage control and firefighting to other crewmembers and you become more comfortable with public speaking, another plus in the fire service. Since there are so few DC on a ship, the role of firefighting and damage control falls on everyone, as a Dc it doesn't take long to be placed in a leadership role on a fire party.

As for certs, if looking that route, the rating of Aviation Boatswain Mate (AB, there are several sub groups) can qualify for ARFF. These are the guys responsible for aircraft fires and the flight deck. They are only on large ships, but DC will do the same stuff on a small ship. The AB may be able to go to Goodfellow Air Force Base where there is a DoD fire school and can get IFSAC certifications. Problem is this is usually available to more senior enlisted personnel and one would typically have to re-enlist to qualify to go to the school.

Now my recommendation is if you are looking for certs in the military, good luck. Right now the military is NOT hurting for people and just because you have a high ASVAB doesn't mean you will get what you want. Both DC and AB could be open when you would go to MEPS, but doesn't mean it will. The Navy is currently close to full manning that they can also be picky and there is not an influx of open jobs out there. Basically if you go in with an attitude that "I want to be a FF" they may not take you at all. Also a recruiter can NOT guarantee you a job, jobs are filled at MEPS.

Now the beauty of the military is one doesn't have to do the job of a FF in the military in order to land a career job. My suggestion is to look around for a job that YOU will like to do, not for the certs you may get. The military offers many opportunities for college classes and credits for almost no cost to you. Take advantage of such classes, because these credits do transfer to schools on the outside. If you want to pursue a FF career, I would look into schools offering fire science where you would like to go and use your GI Bill for the school. Those college credits you took in the service can transfer and knock out a good portion of the classes to graduate, giving you more free time while in school. I would definately recommend the school route and get a degree and even look into obtaining your paramedic, those will go further than the certs obtained in the military.

It is possible to test for career depts out of the service, but some depts do require certs, but those not requesting any education, the vet points can go far. Also, just because someone has certs from the military doesn't mean those will transfer anyway. The reality is that a grunt, infantry, electrician, etc in the military has as much of a chance to become a career FF as a person who did that while in the military.

I won't talk you into going DC. I thought it was a good rating, I learned a lot, I learned more than just firefighting and I did NOT get any certs when I got out, but I'm still on a career department. It is possible to become a firefighter after the service without having have been one. I definately recommend the education route and the military can help with obtaining that.
      The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

Comment

I'm going to echo what jc was saying there:
        Find a rate that suits you.
        Don't be dead set on going DC. It is not necessary to get on the job.

The biggest thing that you'll come away from the military with is an Honorable Discharge. That is all departments really care about.

Do something that is different.
        Mainly; do it because you want to serve. Not to serve you to get a job.

Comment

Military men and women do very well in the fire service. I agree with the advice that you do not need to be a firefighter in the Navy to get hired as a career firefighter after your DC. In fact, you may do better learning a trade such as a diesel mechanic. Mechanical aptitude is extremely important to the fire service. Very few entry level candidates have strong mechanical backgrounds. We look for it.

Whatever specialty you choose, we respect people who serve our country. Earn an honorable discharge and take online fire science classes while you are in the military. Ideally you can earn your degree and be ready to enter a junior college basic fire academy when you get out. Having military background, an AA degree in fire science and a basic fire academy will put you in a great position to get hired. Good luck and stay safe!
          Paul Lepore
          Battalion Chief
          www.aspiringfirefighters.com
          Paul Lepore
          Division Chief
          Aspiringfirefighters.com
          AspiringFireOfficers.com

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

300x600 Forums Only

Collapse