Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

FDNY...EMT promotion to FDNY?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the EMS-Fire promotional really looked down upon badly? Or is this just the view of the older firefighters on the job?

Thanks

SPFD
    Last edited by SPFD17; 10-08-2009, 08:19 PM.

Comment

After reading many posts on this thread, I am surprised. Many of the recruiters for the FDNY at my school always suggest to first join the EMT, and then after a year take the promotional exam to become a FF. And someone on here also stated that taking the "backdoor" approach is for the people that cannot pass the FF tests, because they are not mentally or physically fit. They are taking the easy way out, instead of waiting like the rest of the people that take the "competitive" test. Such a statement is deemed ignorant in my opinion. I am a current NYC Beach Lifeguard and I am a college student. That being, I am in excellent physical shape, and I am intellectually inclined. I am still going the EMT route, because I can take the "competitive" exam, sit around for 4 years to wait for my number to be called, or I can go into the EMT, work for a minimum of one year, take the promotional exam and cut my wait time by almost half. For me its not about taking the easy way out, its by conserving time. In the end it is a job, its competitive, and trust me, I will do anything to get it in.

Comment

Okay, here's a serious question - If there has never been a shortage of qualified applicants for the FDNY, historically speaking, then why did the FDNY institute the EMS to FF promotion in the first place? The EMS side is full of transient employees as it is, so it would seem that the dept would only be hurting itself by offering the promotional exam, facilitating an even greater turnover in an already understaffed EMS workforce. I don't see the benefit to having the promo exam. Anyone care to enlighten?
        "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those willing to work and give to those who are not." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by edpmedic View Post
          Okay, here's a serious question - If there has never been a shortage of qualified applicants for the FDNY, historically speaking, then why did the FDNY institute the EMS to FF promotion in the first place? The EMS side is full of transient employees as it is, so it would seem that the dept would only be hurting itself by offering the promotional exam, facilitating an even greater turnover in an already understaffed EMS workforce. I don't see the benefit to having the promo exam. Anyone care to enlighten?
          It all comes down to cheeseburgers.

Comment

Originally posted by oowutt View Post
            After reading many posts on this thread, I am surprised. Many of the recruiters for the FDNY at my school always suggest to first join the EMT, and then after a year take the promotional exam to become a FF. And someone on here also stated that taking the "backdoor" approach is for the people that cannot pass the FF tests, because they are not mentally or physically fit. They are taking the easy way out, instead of waiting like the rest of the people that take the "competitive" test. Such a statement is deemed ignorant in my opinion. I am a current NYC Beach Lifeguard and I am a college student. That being, I am in excellent physical shape, and I am intellectually inclined. I am still going the EMT route, because I can take the "competitive" exam, sit around for 4 years to wait for my number to be called, or I can go into the EMT, work for a minimum of one year, take the promotional exam and cut my wait time by almost half. For me its not about taking the easy way out, its by conserving time. In the end it is a job, its competitive, and trust me, I will do anything to get it in.
            It's not that simple. You have to do a minimum of two years, during which time you have to file for civil service. If EMS is short staffed which is a serious possibility as they have trouble recruiting, they won't allow you to promote which can last anywhere from 1-3 years. However, I do see your logic, yet there are a number of variables to consider when you think EMS may be a short term gig which then turns into a lot longer wait than expected.

Comment

Originally posted by csBlaZe97 View Post
              It all comes down to cheeseburgers.
              MMM!!!!! had some yesterday for lunch with the brothers. Wish you were here.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeyNY View Post
                It's not that simple. You have to do a minimum of two years, during which time you have to file for civil service. If EMS is short staffed which is a serious possibility as they have trouble recruiting, they won't allow you to promote which can last anywhere from 1-3 years. However, I do see your logic, yet there are a number of variables to consider when you think EMS may be a short term gig which then turns into a lot longer wait than expected.
                Not to mention those guys that got pulled out of the Rock and put back on road because they were understaffed. I wonder whatever happened to them...

Comment

Originally posted by oowutt View Post
                  You have to do a minimum of 2 years like Mikey said. But personally, I think that even if you end up having to do 3+ years on EMS it's still worth it, because if you pass the physical and written you still get that guaranteed spot in the Academy eventually. Please correct me if I'm wrong anyone, seriously.

Comment

Attn: Spfd

Originally posted by SPFD17 View Post
                    I know this is an incredibly old post and forum as a whole but I am very interested in the CFD Paramedic Crossover. Wondering if you could help me out?!

Thanks
                    Originally posted by SPFD17 View Post
                    Hey I know this is an old thread but figured some of you guys who went through the hiring process could help me out.
                    ***I'm currently 17 years old (18 in Aug. 2010) and have one goal and dream to become a Firefighter for SPFD as long as I can remember. Huge SPFD buff...
                    I honestly have wanted to be on SPFD for as long as I can remember, and would kill to get hired off of this hire. Anything helps. Also any questions, comments, concerns, etc. are greatly appreciated!***

Thanks
                    Not to mention posts on LAFD and the state of Illinois. A lot of us have been 17 and have been dying to be a firefighter and have wanted it to happen as QUICK AS POSSIBLE. The truth is, with these jobs, 9 times out of 10 it doesn't happen fast. You're young. Take it slow, figure out where you wanna be for the next 20-30 years of your life. You can't go hopping around to the busiest FD's out there and figure out which one you can get on the quickest. There's more to life then that. Talk to the guys on FDNY, they'll tell you it's not as glorious as it's made out to be and that you're not pulling grabs and huge fires every shift. Before you keep beating the dead horse of EMS Promo, figure out what you really want. SPFD looks to be a dual role department (FF/PM). If you wanna be a medic and you've grown up watching SPFD, why would you wanna move to these relatively foreign cities? You could top out at over $60k after 5 years NOT INCLUDING MEDIC PAY. Using this: http://cgi.money.cnn.com/tools/costo...tofliving.html
                    you're gonna need to make 93k to equal that in Queens and $124k in Manhattan.

Take some time to grow up a little more and figure out where you want to settle down. GO TO COLLEGE if you can. Slow down bro.

Comment

• Best advice ive read on this forum...

Comment

• Theres no minimum time youre required to spend in EMS. It just involves having civil service, taking the test and the fire academy starting.

As for the group shafted by the city due to ems manning levels, they were eventually invited back to the Rock. One member I know personally has since enjoyed the last few years in a busy Bronx Co.
                        To Persist is to Conquer.

Comment

• thread to close

Please be advised that due to no activity on this thread in the past 60 days, we will be closing the thread in a few days. Thank you for your participation in Firehouse.com forums.

Firehouse Web Manager

Comment

• Just replying to keep it alive!
                            "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

• lol nice bones.
                              Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bones42 View Post
                                Just replying to keep it alive!
                                You should have let it die.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

300x600 Forums Only

Collapse