No announcement yet.

Do I have it????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only time the instructors would yell at my academy was during burn days if you were doing something stupid. It's more a life safety issue than a discipline issue.

Comment

Originally posted by polecat View Post
      Offering Constructive Critizism Is One Thing, But For An Obvious Wannabe Like Yourself, To Degrade Anybody, Is Offside.
      If You Wish To Continue To Be An Arrogant Mouth-piece, Then Have The Balls To Identify Who You Are.
      It's Funny, I Pictured A User With The Name Kingofdahill, To Be An Esteemed Member From Washington,d.c., Not Some Flamer With Nothing Better To Do Than Slag A Dedicated Recruit.
      Well that would figure some French Flamer would stick up for guys crying about getting yelled at in the academy. The best is they were probably just getting their point across in a stern way. like I said if you cant handle that then you have problems. Then I remembered you frenchies have a reputation for being afraid and giving in. why do you think the fire service has a semi- military style to it? Because just like if in the military they want guys that are not going to break under a little pressure. So if an academy instructor yells at you for doing something STUPID you come on here asking do you have what it takes. What did you expect to hear oh hang in there sweetheart they will not yell at you. I'm sure if you do something stupid in the field that yelling in the academy will seem like a picnic to what you would really hear. Grow some balls you cry baby freaks sticking up and sugar coating everything.
      Last edited by kingofdahill; 02-12-2007, 12:25 PM.

Comment

First of all...take a deep breath, calm down everybody. There is absolutely NO reason to degrade another FF. These forums are not for arguing back and forth and name calling. For crying out loud show some respect to each other. We are all on this job for one reason or another, but the most common reason is to help others. That is what these forums are for.

First to redtroy...thanks for getting back to the thread and updating what is going on. I'm glad to hear things are working out for you and I hope you get on the job soon.

Mattc05.....I agree with you that the only time there was any yelling in the academy was for safety issues...and that was just to draw attention. The academy is to prepare someone for the fireground...not the firehouse. In the firehouse you always have ribbing going on one way or another...either you take it in stride or learn to get a sense of humor. But breaking down in an academy is not the right way to do this.

King....again, there is no need for name calling or degrading. If you don't agree with something, give an alternative or a reason you don't agree. There is no need to make assumptions on somebody because of a post. You did that to me saying I couldn't do the job, which is why I sent my reply before. I hope no one else will ever have to experience that. I was trying to help another brother on this forum...which is what I hope everyones intentions are. Also...BTW...Polecats avatar says he is from B.C. British Columbia....whole other side of the country from predominately French speaking Quebec.

Polecat....I appreciate your input and suggestions....I just don't agree with you that a fire academy should be run like a boot camp. Really the only similarities between the military and fire service is chain of command, following orders and cleaning. I was in the service before being a FF, the reason I don't agree with yelling to breakdown in a fire academy is:

1..The military, everyone is in bootcamp for a little while, then go to their schooling and duty station...everyone has a different reason to be in. The reason for the yelling and demeaning is to break you down and build you back up their way.

The fire service...most everyone has the same reason for being in and many operations are similar to given areas. Also there is no reason to break you down...everyone already wants to be a FF. Leave it to the crew to do that, and if you don't like one crew, there are other stations and shifts.

2..If in an academy...chances are you already went through a weeding out process. written exam, physical agility, interviews, backgrounds and so on. So typically speaking you have the best candidates already in the academy...no reason to break them down. Just teach them the way your dept operates. The only time to yell is to get attention and usually that is a quick shout.
        The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

Comment

I have to agree with CTJAKE. If I was called to a fire in the small hours of the morning and was working with a bunch of fella's that didn't question and and ask "why are we doing this?" and is this "right?" I would be nervous, this is a thread that has to be woven in from the start.

The fire service was explained to me by a mentor as being a paramilitary structure only. I've been to boot camp and we had a few yellers, it usually just masked their inability to teach. BUT on occasion it did provide motivation to the unmotivated or it burnt through the fog when they were unsure. Some were bent out of shape, but the reality is if you can't deal with people getting excited without having a complete sob fest the FF service is not for you. Thick skin is essential.

To the OP, good luck. Remember understanding the culture of the fire service and LIVING with the people in it is as important as the job. No Gel = no Team = get a different job.

cheers,

j

Comment

Originally posted by knowsnothing View Post
            I have to agree with CTJAKE. If I was called to a fire in the small hours of the morning and was working with a bunch of fella's that didn't question and and ask "why are we doing this?" and is this "right?" I would be nervous, this is a thread that has to be woven in from the start.

The fire service was explained to me by a mentor as being a paramilitary structure only. I've been to boot camp and we had a few yellers, it usually just masked their inability to teach. BUT on occasion it did provide motivation to the unmotivated or it burnt through the fog when they were unsure. Some were bent out of shape, but the reality is if you can't deal with people getting excited without having a complete sob fest the FF service is not for you. Thick skin is essential.

To the OP, good luck. Remember understanding the culture of the fire service and LIVING with the people in it is as important as the job. No Gel = no Team = get a different job.

cheers,

j
            Holy thread ressurrection, batman. This thread is four years old man.
            Isaiah 43:1-2

1 But now, this is what the LORD says—
            he who created you, Jacob,
            he who formed you, Israel:
            “Do not fear, for I have redeemed you;
            I have summoned you by name; you are mine.
            2 When you pass through the waters,
            I will be with you;
            and when you pass through the rivers,
            they will not sweep over you.
            When you walk through the fire,
            you will not be burned;
            the flames will not set you ablaze.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse