Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do I have it????

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by kingofdahill View Post
    They yell to weed out the weak. during a fire is not the time to stop and ask one of your stupid bleeding heart "why are we doing this"? questions. You sound like a perfect candidate for stocking shelves at the supermarket not a firefighter.
    during a fire is not the time to stop and ask one of your stupid bleeding heart "why are we doing this"? questions. ....DUH....

    No Kidding...and No an instructor should not yell to weed out the weak...an instructor is there to TEACH!!!!! I am NOT saying question something on the fireground, I'm saying at the training academy(or drill)..WHERE YOU LEARN!!! So you know WHY you are doing something on the fireground. If an instructor is yelling at you, they are not teaching you. If all you know to do is to "jump" when told....you can be risking your life and fellow firefighters lives...if you are not propely trained.

    For instance...if told by an officer to spray a hoseline into a roof vent (you just cut), what did you do? You "jumped" and put lives in jeopardy. You should have LEARNED that you don't spray a hoseline into a vent hole well before the fire.
    The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by jccrabby3084 View Post
      during a fire is not the time to stop and ask one of your stupid bleeding heart "why are we doing this"? questions. ....DUH....

      No Kidding...and No an instructor should not yell to weed out the weak...an instructor is there to TEACH!!!!! I am NOT saying question something on the fireground, I'm saying at the training academy(or drill)..WHERE YOU LEARN!!! So you know WHY you are doing something on the fireground. If an instructor is yelling at you, they are not teaching you. If all you know to do is to "jump" when told....you can be risking your life and fellow firefighters lives...if you are not propely trained.

      For instance...if told by an officer to spray a hoseline into a roof vent (you just cut), what did you do? You "jumped" and put lives in jeopardy. You should have LEARNED that you don't spray a hoseline into a vent hole well before the fire.
      Take a deep breath and dry your tears. If you can't handle a little yelling at the academy your never gonna handle it when things go to shi*. You really need to look into another job because it sounds like you can't handle or want any pressure on yourself. This profession is not a joke or like some movie you may have seen. If being called a "whiner" hurts your feelings then your going to be in for a brutal career.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by kingofdahill View Post
        Take a deep breath and dry your tears. If you can't handle a little yelling at the academy your never gonna handle it when things go to shi*. You really need to look into another job because it sounds like you can't handle or want any pressure on yourself. This profession is not a joke or like some movie you may have seen. If being called a "whiner" hurts your feelings then your going to be in for a brutal career.
        I'm curious, how long have you been on the job, or in the fire service?

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by CTJAKE View Post
          I'm curious, how long have you been on the job, or in the fire service?
          Why is that big jake? You wanna ask me some personal stuff e-mail me pal. Maybe you have some better advice for the guy who's feelings get hurt by the yelling at the academy.I guess not cause you did not type anything.

          Comment


          • #20
            Well KING, you seem to know alot about academies and the fire service in general. Just asking how long you have been involved.

            Why are you getting all bent out of shape?

            Oh, and by the way, I am not saying anything because I dont know enough about his situation to comment.
            Last edited by CTJAKE; 02-11-2007, 10:27 AM.

            Comment


            • #21
              well jake give this fine candidate some advice. Did your instructors not yell at your academy? I never claimed to know it all about academies or the fire service in general but if a guy comes on and starts stating stuff like I don't know why they have to yell? would you feel good with this guy behind you while your advancing a hoseline down a hallway and things go to shi*. This guy cant even handle yelling better yet that.What are ya going to do tell him "excuse me but you may wanna get out of here please." I doubt it your going to get your point across and politely is sometimes not the way to do it. Maybe it works for you but I bet if you went to any academy in this country you will find that they do it to get the point across. Not to be personal like this guy is taking it.

              I'm not getting bent out of shape. I dont answer personal questions on forums. you know how to e-mail. Maybe some of what I say comes across as hard or not what you wanna hear but i won't lie to you either and say yelling is not part of the job. Your not always in the best enviorment to be polite.
              Last edited by kingofdahill; 02-11-2007, 10:41 AM.

              Comment


              • #22
                My advice: Dont take the yelling personal. If you read his first post, he is worried about some of his past experiences, and is worried they are targeting him. Based on what you have said, I dont think they are aiming this at you. Dont read into what they are saying. Do what they ask, as well as you can, and you'll be fine.
                Last edited by CTJAKE; 02-11-2007, 11:24 AM.

                Comment


                • #23
                  I agree with you 100% and said the same thing in my post. Play the game. they yell you listen, they yell more you listen more.The way I see it this line of work requires you to handle a great deal of stress how much you can take and what will break you is what they try to show you along with teaching you the job. If just the yelling is getting too much then it won't take too much before you break. Thats why most academies are like mini boot camps.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    King...if you would go back and read the last few posts by Troy...who started this thread, you would see some of the reason for my posts. He makes it sound as though the instructors are yelling all the time, calling the recruits failures, and even threatning a chance at a job at them. To me he seemed confused, concerned, and wnated to know what to do.

                    If you go up to an instructor, ask advice or input, and all you get is yelled at is not training. As I put out in those other posts I was asking what type of training he was in....so far I have not seen his posts since.

                    To me....if you pay to get an education and go to a fire academy through a tech school setting...you have the right to a quality education. If you are being called failures, yelled at like a drill seargent, and threatened by instructors that they can make it that you won't get a job...then this is not teaching. Most people paying at a tech school level have NO fire experience. They are getting an education to pursue some type of career, be it paid or volunteer. Once AFFILIATED with a dept...then the training can be more strict because you have to learn their way. Most departments will do their own training academy for new personnel, at that point, you should know better.

                    Now not every fire department takes people with fire experience and will do their own training...to yell and "weed out the weak" is not training. If you are in an academy then you should have already been through a written test, Physical agilty, interviews (several), and background. The "weak" should already have been weeded through. The dept now has an investment into you.

                    Now I don't know what your idea of yelling and my idea of yelling is. When posted that the academy should be run like a boot camp, I picture a drill seargent type instructor screaming in you face, calling you a failure, etc, then drop you. There is no need for that type of mentality in the fire service. Now if you have been taught a task (say putting up a roof ladder off an extension) and consistently do it wrong or if there is a safety issue then to shout to get attention is fine. If it is consistently wrong then there is a learning issue and then you stop and go through the evolution step by step. To yell at that point is useless...then you just have a FF not wanting to get yelled at and may not look for other hazards or the attention to detail is not there.
                    That is why you TEST then...if come test day and you can not successfully complete the evolution...you don't pass. That is why you train and teach...not yell. Teach the recruit how to pass...if they can't...you did what you could, what is yelling going to do?

                    That is what I'm getting at....If you want to sit there and pass judgement on me, call me weak or whatever then that is your perogative. You don't know me, my department, or my record...you are simply passing judgement off a post. Everyone here is on the job in some form, or want to be part of the job...there is no reason to disrespect anyone.

                    I'll end here with what Jay Jonas said (FDNY...Capt of Ladder 6) when in the WTC. "When things start get get bad...I lower my voice and speak in a calm tone so everyone can understand. That day was the most calm I have ever been. There is no reason to yell and add to the confusion."
                    The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by kingofdahill View Post
                      Take a deep breath and dry your tears. If you can't handle a little yelling at the academy your never gonna handle it when things go to shi*. You really need to look into another job because it sounds like you can't handle or want any pressure on yourself. This profession is not a joke or like some movie you may have seen. If being called a "whiner" hurts your feelings then your going to be in for a brutal career.
                      BTW...I was there when things really went to shi*....and one of my brothers did not come home..There was no yelling on the fireground then. Do you really, truly know what it is like? when conditions are that bad, that intense, and you still perform. Every thread in your body telling you no...stay out, yet your training kicks in and you do you job...any other time you pull out and go defensive...but now a FF is down, screaming for his life and you are his only hope. You get one FF out, but he is still there...you still have to go in. Do you know what it is like being told now you have to pull out...to know he is gone and all your efforts couldn't get him out, being so physically and mentally drained. Do you know what it is like to sift through the rubble, just to bring him home? There is NO bigger lesson out there than that.

                      THAT IS WHAT THIS IS ABOUT. I DON'T WANT TO SEE THIS AGAIN...AND I DON'T WANT ANYONE ELSE TO HAVE TO GO THROUGH THIS.
                      Now go ahead...call me a whiner, weak or what have you. And NO I will not dry my tears...he deserved more, but this is what is left...the tears and memories!
                      The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        You come on a forum for advice and advice is what you got. You dont like it then try else where. Going through a death is hard but then again if you been through hell why would you be on here worried that your being yelled at. Seems pretty petty to whine about this stuff (yelling) if you went through tragedy where someone paid the ultimate price.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by kingofdahill View Post
                          You come on a forum for advice and advice is what you got. You dont like it then try else where. Going through a death is hard but then again if you been through hell why would you be on here worried that your being yelled at. Seems pretty petty to whine about this stuff (yelling) if you went through tragedy where someone paid the ultimate price.
                          King....go back and read the posts...I am not the one that started this....I am not the one looking for advice here. I was one that gave some advice. Someone else did not agree with that, stated a recruit class should be run like a boot camp...I disagreed with that and then that is where you came in. You looked at a response I gave and decided to comment on that. So why don't you look at the whole forum before commenting on a single post. The person who was actually looking for advice has not responded.

                          I personally did not have instructors yelling during either one of my recruit academies, one for school and one for on the job. It is one thing to get the attention of a recruit, but to yell is not the idea. Really who is the one that looks like a fool? the one yelling, or the one being yelled at. Instructors are there to teach...if you are having trouble, you go through it again. That is why there is a testing phase...if you don't pass a test...then you don't pass the course. To yell as a way of "weeding" people out is wrong. You can say in a stearn voice to pay attention, or draw attention to a safety issue. To yell is not the proper way to teach. To yell like a drill sergeant is not the way to train....the fire service is paramilitary (like military) not the military.

                          You praise in public and reprimand in private.....any good officer or instructor would know to do this.

                          So I would say go back and look at the one who actually created the post...then you can see how we got to here.
                          The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            So heres the follow up. I spoke with one of the instructors and they said they were actually very shocked to hear that I felt that way because I have taken all their harassement in good stride. He explained the same thing some of you have hit on here and that is that they want to prepare us for what a dept training will be like. If we can't handle their harassement then we prob would never be able to handle the dept training or let alone the job. I explained to him that I knew that this is why they prob were but that I felt as though it is hard to learn things with that approach. He said he is surprised I felt that way because in all honesty all the instructors have been very impressed with me so far. I have done great with all practicals, tests ect and that he didn't feel as though I needed any extra help, whereas he explained that with some of the students they do try and take things a lil slower with them to try and catch them up to speed. I feel a lil better now that I talked to him. So just to clarify to some of you out there...mostly kingofdahill...I am not whining about anything. I simply am using these forums as a resource to get advice from other PROFESSIONALS so I don't end up going and doing something stupid. If people here didn't ask concerning qustions then others wouldn't waste their time reading and responding. Now I did decide to go back through and read some of your posts and their was no surprise to find out that most of yours are all negative. I also found this on one of your posts.............


                            FROM kingofdahill POST...
                            kanoobs whats your deal? You said you had your medical today yet your 300 guys over me. On top of that some of your other posts don't match up either. For example you stated in your posts that you had your initial interview way back on august 7. Then I read where you just handed in everything in novemeber. Which one was it? Again I had my interview in late august I just cant see how your jumping ahead of everyone with everything.I have my medical scheduled for early feb. and guys in the 3,800 are just going next week. Even if they were just filling spots in the medical there are alot of guys that would have to refuse it before they got to the 4,400's especially when someone in the higher 4,200's was asking about dates so that he could estimate when he could be called. I hope your being truthful with us throughout this process with posting good info and not bullsh**.



                            Now kingofdahill it sounds like your still waiting to get hired. In the future if you don't have something intelligent to post on one of my threads you should stop and create a post a thread of your own with the topic being.... Would a dept hire a dumbass.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by redtroy View Post
                              So heres the follow up. I spoke with one of the instructors and they said they were actually very shocked to hear that I felt that way because I have taken all their harassement in good stride. He explained the same thing some of you have hit on here and that is that they want to prepare us for what a dept training will be like. If we can't handle their harassement then we prob would never be able to handle the dept training or let alone the job. I explained to him that I knew that this is why they prob were but that I felt as though it is hard to learn things with that approach. He said he is surprised I felt that way because in all honesty all the instructors have been very impressed with me so far. I have done great with all practicals, tests ect and that he didn't feel as though I needed any extra help, whereas he explained that with some of the students they do try and take things a lil slower with them to try and catch them up to speed. I feel a lil better now that I talked to him. So just to clarify to some of you out there...mostly kingofdahill...I am not whining about anything. I simply am using these forums as a resource to get advice from other PROFESSIONALS so I don't end up going and doing something stupid. If people here didn't ask concerning qustions then others wouldn't waste their time reading and responding. Now I did decide to go back through and read some of your posts and their was no surprise to find out that most of yours are all negative. I also found this on one of your posts.............


                              FROM kingofdahill POST...
                              kanoobs whats your deal? You said you had your medical today yet your 300 guys over me. On top of that some of your other posts don't match up either. For example you stated in your posts that you had your initial interview way back on august 7. Then I read where you just handed in everything in novemeber. Which one was it? Again I had my interview in late august I just cant see how your jumping ahead of everyone with everything.I have my medical scheduled for early feb. and guys in the 3,800 are just going next week. Even if they were just filling spots in the medical there are alot of guys that would have to refuse it before they got to the 4,400's especially when someone in the higher 4,200's was asking about dates so that he could estimate when he could be called. I hope your being truthful with us throughout this process with posting good info and not bullsh**.



                              Now kingofdahill it sounds like your still waiting to get hired. In the future if you don't have something intelligent to post on one of my threads you should stop and create a post a thread of your own with the topic being.... Would a dept hire a dumbass.
                              Waiting, but on the job already. Grow up and go back to stocking your shelves because if your on a forum asking if you got it? guess what you dont. let go of your mommies apron and handle it. Would a Dept. handle a dumbass? You should ask your dept. that because they obviously hired a cry baby who cant handle the academy better yet the job. So yeah A dept. would hire a dumbass they already did . YOU. Have fun and dry your tears.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Bobby Hill

                                Offering Constructive Critizism Is One Thing, But For An Obvious Wannabe Like Yourself, To Degrade Anybody, Is Offside.
                                If You Wish To Continue To Be An Arrogant Mouth-piece, Then Have The Balls To Identify Who You Are.
                                It's Funny, I Pictured A User With The Name Kingofdahill, To Be An Esteemed Member From Washington,d.c., Not Some Flamer With Nothing Better To Do Than Slag A Dedicated Recruit.

                                Comment

                                300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

                                Collapse

                                Upper 300x250

                                Collapse

                                Taboola

                                Collapse

                                Leader

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X