No announcement yet.

'Nepotism'-where do you stand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the legacy credit is under New York STATE civil service law. 10 pts being given to a child of a person that died in the discharge of their duties while serving the municipality the are applying for. Its a state thing, not a New York city thing.

Comment

I think restricting anyone from apply just because they have a relative in another job for the same department/city is ludacris. If you are qualified, you're qualified.

It only makes sense that the child of a career FF is going to have a better working knowledge of the system, and probably perform better in many aspects of the selection process.

If the system is truly blind, all the better. But I think there is a big difference between a few family members getting on the FDNY, than bubba and his buddies taking over a small town department.
      Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Comment

Originally posted by polecat View Post
        My dept. used to have a policy, that if you had a relation working for the city in any of its depts., you were forbidden to apply for a firefighter position. Not having any relatives myself employed by the city,this restriction definatetly improved my chances of being hired. Times have changed and we now have had a few father/son combinations working together on the job, and over all these off-spring have proven to be valuable members of our dept. My question;-Should relatives be given preference over equally qualified applicants,or should the bar be raised higher for them,so that favoritism is not an issue? Also,should sons or daughters be automatically hired if their father or mother should tragically die in the line of duty?
        Somebody has a reading disability but it isn't me. Read the questions asked.

"Should relatives be given preference over equally qualified applicants, or should the bar be raised higher for them?"

IMO neither, they should be treated no different. Although I don't have a problem with anybody getting points in the application process, once you get to the actual "competition", IMO the process should be blind.

"Should sons and daughters be automatically hired if their father or mother should tragically die in the line off duty?"

IMO no.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
        Working...
        X