X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catch22
    replied
    Originally posted by polecat View Post
    chief, with all do respect, what i do on my own time is really my own business don't you think? But if you must know,yes i was serious. Incidentally,I've only missed one shift in my career,I stepped on a nail 24 years ago. True story. time to go chief, haven't burned a dube since after my last post to you this morning,a good 8 hrs. ago. Thats pretty good for me.
    Does Canada not have random drug testing?

Leave a comment:

• BCLepore
    replied
    There is no such thing as an expunged record when it comes to police and fire backgrounds. Rember all of those forms you signed? They gave the department the right to open anything related to you.
    Not signing the forms will result in immediate disqualification.

Leave a comment:

• FaustyOdin
    replied
    for the posts not related to the guy that smokes pot, thanks for your input. I have an update on what has happened. Two friends of mine who are members of the department I tested for (rank will be left out) spoke with the Civil Service Commission. The Commission reviewed my Polygraph test and informed them of a couple of important things. 1.) The theft, being an issue 7 years ago, is something that happened in the past. Unfortunately now that the decision has been made and cannot be undone I will have to wait, but fortunately next time around (2 years from now) they feel I will have a good chance at continuing on in the testing process. 2.) I passed the polygraph test, the only thing that failed me was my admission to 2 things.. Use of drugs 5 times in the past (and yes, it was 5 times... I remember reading something mentioning 5 = 20; which if this is the case, I should say I used it only once.), and the other thing was the undetected theft that I informed them on. Just as a side note; the theft was from one employer, my first at age 16-17. It is on my adult record because I was caught the first week I turned 17. I have the option of having the offense expounged, however I don't think this will make any difference during a polygraph, background investigation, or any applicable hiring steps. Any experienced opinions on the expoungement?

Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• BCLepore
    replied
    PC,
    I too enjoy the lively debates. I don’t have all of the answers. And believe me I have made tons of mistakes……probably more than my fair share. I hope you get some help to kick the habit. I would encourage you to edit your posts so the kids don’t get the wrong impression. In turn, I will edit mine.

Stay safe my friend,
    Paul Lepore

Leave a comment:

• polecat
    replied
    'Battman"

Glad you're back chief. I wouldn't blame you for blowing me off. My wife can't believe I openly admitted to pot smoking on this forum. In retrospect,I regret the fact that I did,knowing it sends the wrong message to the kids. Chief,although we obvious enjoy different life styles off the job,I look forward to future discussions with you. To date(1 week),you are by far the most intellegent,articulate person out there. BCNU Chief.

Leave a comment:

• polecat
    replied
    Bamboozler

Originally posted by ffbam24 View Post
    Couldn't let it go that there's two "L's" in "illiterate".

bam
    I knew it! I had a bad feeling it was misspelled. How embarrasing is that?

Leave a comment:

• ffbam24
    replied
    Originally posted by polecat View Post
    ...i'm a iliterate pothead.
    Couldn't let it go that there's two "L's" in "illiterate".
    And one "M" in "amends".

bam
    (i am not the spelling police. but did think that was kinda funny.)
    Last edited by ffbam24; 01-07-2007, 05:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• BCLepore
    replied
    Polecat,
    First of all in my organization I do not have the final say in who gets hired. I have participated as a panel member on the Chief’s Interview and made recommendations on who to hire.

I would much rather work with someone who readily admits his mistakes than someone who knowingly does something illegal and tries to defend it. You can make all of the excuses in the world about what you do on your day off, but we all know that this impacts your decision making process.

I am really disappointed that you would make so light of this in a public forum. I am confident that deep down you know in your heart that this is wrong. It’s one thing to do something; it’s another to try to defend it.

What you do in BC is up to you and your department, more importantly it’s between you and your coworkers.

What is really troubling is that you go into a public forum that is read by aspiring firefighters and condone using drugs. This is really disappointing to me as a member of the PROFESSIONAL fire service.

Yes, I would recommend someone for hire with a jaded past, IF he or she had demonstrated this was his past behavior. This employee would be so grateful for the opportunity and would never take the honor of the badge for granted.

Leave a comment:

• polecat
    replied
    Originally posted by specialized26 View Post
    Thats exactly the point, no one is perfect and everyone has something that they can work on. Personally I do not agree with your smoking pot on your days off but thats ok. Everyone is different and so is how each of us deals with stress that can build up. You need something outside of the fire department that has nothing to do with it that you can use as an outlet. I'm glad that we found something that we can agree on. Good luck, be safe.
    Thanks bro,right back at you. I'm glad you're not so sore at me anymore, unlike that Jaydudley feller,you know the guy that retired as a driver,he wants me fired.

Leave a comment:

• JayDudley
    replied
    Stay North

Polecat...I must say that for you to admit drug use and a Firefighter amazes me. It only takes ONE incident and ONE drug test to have you FIRED. If I was your Chief thats what I would do. The Fire Service has NO room for Firefighters to use drugs and still stay on the job.
    Clean up and do The Fire Service justice.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley, Retired Fire

Leave a comment:

• specialized26
    replied
    Thats exactly the point, no one is perfect and everyone has something that they can work on. Personally I do not agree with your smoking pot on your days off but thats ok. Everyone is different and so is how each of us deals with stress that can build up. You need something outside of the fire department that has nothing to do with it that you can use as an outlet. I'm glad that we found something that we can agree on. Good luck, be safe.

Leave a comment:

• polecat
    replied
    Welcome back bro, The fact of the matter is,all of us have the potential to be better at our jobs,whether its losing a few pounds,controlling our stress levels, or simply picking up the ifsta manual on occassion. Like any other profession, f.f.s are not perfect,but i can say with certainty that we all share one trait in common-Integrity and honesty, and isn't that what this thread was initially about?

Leave a comment:

• specialized26
    replied
    If it is going to interfere with how they do their job then yes i am. If he is going to compromise safety or on the job or they get stopped while driving drunk and it hits the paper that John/Jane Doe from whatever fire department was just arrested and charged with a DUI, then yes. And by the way pot does have some detrimental effects. And being good at crosswords has nothing to do with the fact that you smoke it.

Leave a comment:

• polecat
    replied
    As much as i hate to reply to my own post, i made a terrible mistake and need to make ammends. In the heat of the battle, and not thinking clearly in the wee hours of the morn, i foolishly spelled crosswOrds incorrect. I best be more vigil in the future,I wouldn't want to give the impression that i'm a iliterate pothead.

Leave a comment:

• polecat
    replied
    special K

O.M.G.! That was some rant, and i got to tell you i loved every minute of it. Don't get me wrong bro, i don't condon marijuana use,although smoke it on a regular basis,usually late at night. I find it helps me relax. I'm sure it has detrimental effects. My wife thinks i have a terrible memory, but surprising enough, i'm quite good at crosswards. I'm wondering,are you also as hard on the guy at home pickling his liver,showing up for work occasionaly hung?

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X