Thank you or follow up letter???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank you or follow up letter???

Hello everyone... a question for everyone, but specifically for the current chiefs, commissioners, and officers involved in the hiring process.

Yesterday I had my final interview with the Chief and Fire Commission... this is the "getting to know you before we make our decision" interview that comes after the written and oral tests. I am ranked high enough on the list to be considered for an open position, and this is basically the interview that decides everything. I thought the interview went very well and I am keeping my fingers crossed and my telephone line open.

I know that in the "business world" prospective employees will often send like a follow up letter or a hand written thank you to the people that they interviewed with. Is something like this appropriate when applying for a civil service job, or would this fall under the lines of "rediculous ***-kissery?"

Thanks in advance,

Turk

I would send one....

Comment

I would

Turk...As a current Fire Commissioner I would say yes. It would be nice to receive a letter from a candidate. I now live in a lot smaller town then I use to work and things are more informal now. By that I mean everyone knows everyone and I think a letter of thanks is a great idea.

Respectfully,
      Jay Dudley, Retired Fire
      Respectfully,
      Jay Dudley
      Retired Fire
      Background Investigator
      IACOJ-Member
      Lifetime Member CSFA
      IAFF Alumni Member

Comment

I'm not a believer in follow up letters on most interviews because many who sit on the panels are from other departments and the decisions are often made before you can lick the stamp.

It could be different for a chiefs interview if the decision hasn't been made yet.

would this fall under the lines of "rediculous ***-kissery

Not at all.

If it would help you sleep better go ahead and send them.
        Last edited by CaptBob; 12-08-2006, 01:26 PM.

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

More Tips on getting hired and promoted by Firehouse Contributing Author Fire “Captain Bob” Articles here:
        http://www.firehouse.com/contact/10544410/bob-smith

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Comment

Capt. Bob is correct again

Captain Bob is correct...The bigger the Department and I would say no to the letter. Our Departments up here in Idaho are a lot smaller and the locals are all known to each other. So if a thank you letter is sent it will get to him or her. If it is sent to say.......L.A. or L.A. Co. forget it. They would be from all over and never get the letter anyway.

Respectfully,
          Jay Dudley, Retired Fire
          Respectfully,
          Jay Dudley
          Retired Fire
          Background Investigator
          IACOJ-Member
          Lifetime Member CSFA
          IAFF Alumni Member

Comment

JayDudley...where in Idaho are you from and where did you retire from?

Comment

Send!

By all means, send the 'thank you' letter--it is the professional thing to do and you are applying for a professional position. It also gets your name in front of the decision makers one more time.

If there is a concern about the decision being made before the letter arrives, every office in the US has a fax machine now. Fax a copy, then mail the original.

Dave Arthur,
              www.firedepartmentcareer.com

Comment

Where??

I am currently living in Sandpoint area of Idaho. That's 50 miles south of the Canadian border. I retired from Long Beach City Fire and I am the Fire Commissioner for District #2 for Sagle Fire. I work part time during the summer for the State of Idaho Forrestry during brush fire season. I man the Helo Ops command trailer. I can be e-mailed @ [email protected]

Respectfully,
                Jay Dudley, Retired Fire
                Last edited by JayDudley; 12-12-2006, 12:17 PM.
                Respectfully,
                Jay Dudley
                Retired Fire
                Background Investigator
                IACOJ-Member
                Lifetime Member CSFA
                IAFF Alumni Member

Comment

If it will get to them, I'm not sure faxing a thank you letter is the impression you want to leave with panel members.

Captain Bob

More Tips on getting hired and promoted by Firehouse Contributing Author Fire “Captain Bob” Articles here:

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Comment

Problem with a fax?

I'm not certain I see a problem with a faxed thank you letter. I would rather get my name in front of a decisionmaker one more time with a well-crafted thank you letter than worry about some bias against a fax.

Business is done by fax all the time. The content is more important than the form.

But then, that's just my opinion.

Comment

yes

For what it's worth, I look at it as one way for them to remember you. It worked for me, I was 1 of 30something that interviewed, made it to the top 4 then got the job. But the trick is to give it the same day, if you mail it you will be too late, Best would be to leave it with somebody who works there or leave it on their desk. Just one more thing for them to remember you by and set you apart from the others. Have them allready filled out so all you need to add is the name, when your done with the interview check the spelling add the names and leave it on your way out. The hardest part will be the waiting.

Comment

Stop the Presses

In all reality you have to make a high enough score in the body of your presentation for your oral board that is going to stun the panel into considering you before you leave the room. Instantly delivering, faxing or mailing thank you letters is not going to all of a sudden put the brakes on with those making the decisions who’s going forward to give you a second look. It just doesn’t happen that way. Those in this thread who were successful more than likey already had the job before they signed the thank you letter.

If you are testing and your results letter doesn’t have a score in the hiring range you have to start asking yourself why. The problem is too many candidates don’t have their stuff in place before they walk into the room. Often it’s a huge error that tanks their score. For some they’re closer than they realize and only a few adjustments could make the difference.

This might help you see what’s going on:

And the badge goes to?

Capt Bob, I took the oral interview with LA City and wanted to write a quick note.

As you have said before oral board is the most important step in the
                        process and the step that is least prepared for. Well I can support
                        your statement. As I watched the recording of my score (reading upside
                        down) I noticed 60's and 70's on the scores of those that interviewed
                        before me. I would assume there were about 25 names on the sheet prior
                        to mine. Again the methods you teach do work.

It worked I scored a 90 and hired on with LA City. Thanks again for your help Rich

So how long can you tread water? More on treading water here: http://www.eatstress.com/treadwater.htm
                        Last edited by CaptBob; 12-26-2006, 12:41 PM.

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse