Filling out an application?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filling out an application?

Im 21 and applying for the first time to a FD. I have worked about 9 different "high school" jobs. Some of which I quit(never been fired) and walked out on, and some I stayed with for a year or more. When filling out the application, it asks for "complete history" or your job history for the past 10 years. Do I write the jobs I worked and stayed with and leave out the ones I left?, or do I write them all?

If I were to leave out the "Bad" ones could that hurt me in the future or even in the application process? Is it better to just put everything out there and hope for the best? Anyone that can help please let me know. -thanks

How short were you at some of the jobs? If its like a week, I would say skip it, but if its any substantial amount of time, put it on.
    Get busy livin, or get busy dyin. - Shawshank Redemption
    IACOJ

Comment

Originally posted by OlieCan
      How short were you at some of the jobs? If its like a week, I would say skip it, but if its any substantial amount of time, put it on.
      you will need to put EVERYTHING on the application. THat is why they ask for it. If you do not it may haunt you in the process in the future. They will FIND EVERYTHING!

Comment

Yep - My military service has to include every assignment. A real treat

I guess you could call and ask tho
        Last edited by DonSmithnotTMD; 12-05-2006, 07:44 AM.
        I am a highly trained professional and can find my :: expletive deleted:: with either hand in various light conditions.

Comment

"complete history"

Pretty clear. What many don't realize is that your file is pulled from social security which contains any job you had where they took out deductions.

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

More Tips on getting hired and promoted by Firehouse Contributing Author Fire “Captain Bob” Articles here:
          http://www.firehouse.com/contact/10544410/bob-smith

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Comment

to echo Capt. Bob, complete history means complete history.

all your investigator needs to do is pull your W-2s/run your social. you don't want to be caught omitting information (omitting = lying to investigators).

Comment

Danny,

I was in the same position as you, I worked 10 jobs around high school and after. Basically I put them all, or tried anyway, one or two I forgot. Well I forgot to put this one job I had for a week in high school, and I forgot to mention it, well the big city department I applied for had found out and my application was labeled "incomplete" but another department I applied at, a smaller town, did not, they just checked the jobs I put down, as I forgot to list the other ones. So I guess it depends but it's best to be honest and put everything you know.

Comment

Pretty Clear

Looks like no need to respond here. You guy's are on it . Complete does mean complete.
                Jay Dudley, Retired Fire
                Respectfully,
                Jay Dudley
                Retired Fire
                Background Investigator
                IACOJ-Member
                Lifetime Member CSFA
                IAFF Alumni Member

Comment

Thanks fellas Im gettin all the information for the application now. -Danny

Comment

Just fopr the record, 10 jobs during a high school does not look particularly good. Fire departments are looking for people who demonstrate stability.

Think twice beofre taking a job you don't really want. It's understood that people will look for bigger and better, however, this is a lot.
                    Paul Lepore
                    Battalion Chief
                    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Comment

Chief... I know, I regret working all those. Im 22 now, been a volunteer for a while, fire science student almost at my degree, year and a half in the fire service. Hopefully the stability with my school and being involved with the FD will overlook those high school jobs.

Comment

AC,
                        You cannot change the past, but you can control the future. Stability is important. Think twice before changing jobs again.
                        Paul Lepore
                        Battalion Chief
                        www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Comment

Take responsibility

Danny,

If the question of your past instability comes up in any interview, address it head-on. Take responsibility. Do not blame anyone else for your actions, even if you had poor jobs, bad bosses or whatever. Citing youth as a reason for your behavior is an option if you are a bit older now. Always turn it around so that you explain what you learned from the situation and that you have shown a more recent history of stability.

Good luck,
                          Dave Arthur
                          www.firedepartmentcareer.com

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse