• Show
Clear All

unless for question 69 you put B or D, then you suck
    Get busy livin, or get busy dyin. - Shawshank Redemption
    IACOJ

Comment

Get ready!!!!!

First, Nozzleman, drop me a line, curious as to your real ID. I'm on e26A

I heard that the score was fairly low due to a low passing rate. I hear that was sent from the HR side of it. To bad we can't use the test as a weeding out process, god forbid.

Be ready to toot your own horn, the interviewers don't ask much if any ?'s on your experience.

For those who passed, forget about those questions, we on the line don't care if you answered a or d.

Start getting in shape now boys and girls, not only for the PAT but for the academy. We get quite a few probies trying to get in shape when they get in and it is too late. For those in the PDX area checkout this gym, it is the best place to get in shape or get in over the top shape.

www.adapttraining.com

Also, the academy is VERY academically intensive. Be ready to hit the books from day one.

Good luck to one and all

Orlando Gomez FF
      Peer Fitness Trainer

Comment

Does anyone know when Portland is planning on starting the academy?

Comment

academy

Coug,

you can't even begin to think that far ahead, it may be 2 years before you might get in. They pick their pool of however many and then they fill into the academy as needed. That pool may dry up with guys not getting in. Worry about each step as you go

Comment

Gomez, trust me the only step that I am thinking about right now is the Interview that I have on the 18th. I graduate college in a week and then begin school for EMT. So I was just wondering

Comment

ogomez, first off thanks for providing some light for us. Second, i was wondering if you knew the tally of how many people took the test and how many they passed? If you do not, that is fine, but i just wanted to know if at all possible.

Thanks,
              Jason Norton

Comment

test

I have heard 1600-1800 with over 2000 initially signing up

Comment

test

I haven't heard a passing number yet, I hope to by next week

Comment

Like ogomez said, I heard aprox 1800 took the tests with them fairly evenly split between the two tests.

Also like he said start working out and getting ready for the PAT, they finally made ours a little tougher and we weed out a fair amount with it now. Unlike the old one that could be done without breaking a sweat. Good luck to all of ya.
                    www.portlandfirefighters.org
                    Portland Fire Pictures/Dick Harris

http://www.finsnbeasts.com

Comment

Thanks

To Nozzleman and Gomez, thanks for all the info. You say1800 people took the tests and its evenly split so about 600 took the FF/EMT and 600 took the trainee? I could have swore it looked like more than that. Not that any of this matters right now (the interview is what matters). I have a friend who is in the Portland academy right now and he says its alot of tests, bookwork, and pretty physical. BEING IN SHAPE BOTH MID AND BODY IS KEY.

Thanks again for all the info you giuys have given

Comment

Great info here. Thanks for keeping us informed. I had been prepping for the oral's for awhile, in case they wanted to start the boards immediately after the written test. However, mine isn't until the end of Feb....so if I'm not fully dialed in for it, it's my own fault.

Comment

Recevied another letter from PFR today providing info around practice sessions for the physical agility test (if you've passed the written.) The available dates are extensive....times available nearly every Friday and Saturday between Dec. 14th and Mar. 2nd....the time of day depending on your last name.

This, to me, puts a lot of emphasis on the oral boards. Seems that if candidates take advantage of this great opportunity to practice/train for each individual station (and are in top shape, of course) they should be able to pass the physical portion of this process.

That leaves the oral boards to set yourself apart.

Hope to see some of you at the practice sessions.

Comment

I also got my letter for the written, and made it passed that hurdle. Interview is set for Feb 22nd. For those PFD firefighters out there, what can we expect from interview on down the line for the hiring process? How is your PAT different from the others? What makes it harder? Can you give some insight into the academy on what to expect? Thanks for your time and help!

Stay safe everybody.....

Comment

Getting ready

The interviews are less about your experience and more about saying the right thing. We do mock interviews out in the stations individually. Usually word of mouth gets the word out. THere may also be a class on interview skill put on by one of our guys, I'll update later if that is going to happen.

Look on the website for the PAT stations, the time is 8:02. It;s basically a test in anaerobic endurance. THere will be alot of practice days coming up in Dec. I will get the dates in a day or 2.

Comment

Pat

Those who passed will be getting a letter with the dates and address of the practice sessions for the physical agility

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X