X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 37truck
    replied
    Originally posted by AZCadet33
    Alright - I'm in the process of looking for a hotel during the test taking time...where's a good central place to stay? I know I could be anywhere for my written - any suggestions? Oh...yea...one last thing...I can't afford the presidential suite at the waldorf...hahaha.
    If your already a firefighter at home, ask the hotel if they have goverment discounts. Also try one of the Hotel Priceline type websites. I've used hotels.com with good results.

I've stayed in the Days Inn-Midtown several times. The rooms normally are $300 plus a night, but I've never paid more than $120's. It is also across from 54/4's house. Those guys are pretty busy and they get alot of tourists. I would make the walk over to 34/21 at 440 West 38 Street. They are off the beaten path and not as busy. The guys there are a homerun. Remember to take a pie/cake and or some ice cream if you stop in.
    Last edited by 37truck; 12-12-2006, 08:05 AM.

Leave a comment:

• AZCadet33
    replied
    thank you both, very much. I'll have to check them out. I'll be meeting a friend up there, thats coming in from rochester so I might need a double closet

Leave a comment:

• Hopefulprobie
    replied
    Stay in midtown. The last test was held on the Lower East Side. you can get anywhere you need to go fairly quickly from midtown. There are several hotels that you should be able to afford. Some have very small rooms for cheap (the sive of a large closet) that are clean. Also Hotel Pennsylvania is central and affordable but the accomodations are not fantastic, but if you're a single guy whose looking to stay cheap its more than acceptable. It's right by the empire state building. Try the belvedere. It's right across the street from 54/4. A very nice hotel, and you can get bargains sometimes. Try hotels.com.

Leave a comment:

• metsfan06
    replied
    Originally posted by AZCadet33
    Alright - I'm in the process of looking for a hotel during the test taking time...where's a good central place to stay? I know I could be anywhere for my written - any suggestions? Oh...yea...one last thing...I can't afford the presidential suite at the waldorf...hahaha.
    I would bet you test in manhattan. I would stay in manhattan.

Leave a comment:

• AZCadet33
    replied
    Last edited by AZCadet33; 12-10-2006, 09:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Hopefulprobie
    replied
    Southwest. Near Cincinnati. Bengals country.

Leave a comment:

• 37truck
    replied
    hopefullprobie

where at in ohio were you from?

Leave a comment:

• 37truck
    replied
    oh yeah...don't forget your two number 2 pencils

Leave a comment:

• 37truck
    replied
    Originally posted by DDD123
    37Truck and Hopefulprobie,

How hard was the test in relation to the Barron’s, and Arco FDNY practice tests? I understand that they are looking to revamp the test. I’m just trying to get an idea of how difficult the test is, and on what week points I need to focus on. I’m looking for the best score possible… Because unlike you guy’s… I’m pretty much coming from the sticks…..NH !!
    It's been a long time since I took the test. I'll tell you what I remember.

First, get to your test site early. They are given at PS's. It's no kidding when I say there will be thousands of canidates in line.

The test has your typical reading comprehension, tons of math (both standard and word problems), physics/mechanical diagram problems, mapping reading, following directions, and a section where you study a picture of a fire scene for a minute or so and then are asked questions based on your memory of the picture. They ask like "what was the name of the store on the corner of 122nd st and Chelsea Ave?" or "Where was the nearest mail box?" Don't focus on the fire itself, but look at everything in the picture. The test questions use fire service items, but do not require any knowledge of the fire service. Take your time, at least within the limits aloud, and double check all of your answers if you still have time left. The written is extremely important to getting a decent ranking. you really need to score high 90's to have a real chance.

I did not use the FDNY study guide. When I took the test you had to physically pick it up at DCAS and I wasn't going to drive the 12 hrs, one way, to get it. I think it may be available on-line now.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• DDD123
    replied
    37Truck and Hopefulprobie,

How hard was the test in relation to the Barron’s, and Arco FDNY practice tests? I understand that they are looking to revamp the test. I’m just trying to get an idea of how difficult the test is, and on what week points I need to focus on. I’m looking for the best score possible… Because unlike you guy’s… I’m pretty much coming from the sticks…..NH !!

Leave a comment:

• 37truck
    replied
    Originally posted by Hopefulprobie
    I don't consider MYSELF a hillbilly either. I am from ohio also but everyone HERE considers anyone not from the north east a hillbilly. If it's not NYC it's the sticks. Doesn't matter if you live in downtown Cleveland, you're still a hillbilly to them. That was my point.
    I know exactly what your saying. I meant a brother there who has never, NEVER, left the five broughs.

Leave a comment:

• 37truck
    replied
    Originally posted by Hopefulprobie
    I don't consider MYSELF a hillbilly either. I am from ohio also but everyone HERE considers anyone not from the north east a hillbilly. If it's not NYC it's the sticks. Doesn't matter if you live in downtown Cleveland, you're still a hillbilly to them. That was my point.
    I was just busting stones...It takes alot more than that to offend me...stay safe

Leave a comment:

• SmokeEater316
    replied
    Ah

Originally posted by 37truck
    Brother,

I can tell you from experience...non-New Yorkers get hired. Without any of the credits you can expect to end-up in the 2000 plus bracket. I finished 3706 on the list and it took about 4 years to get through the entire process. If you are at all serious about it you better start studying civil service manuals and tests. You can find them at a library. Also you better be in the best physical shape of your life or you'll never finish the agility test. Cardio and musclular endurance are the keys...not necessarily mega-strength. I scored a 98.something on the written. The agility is pass/fail. If you manage to get passed those two steps and get a call, you will need to follow every instruction and timeline to the letter. ie. (when they tell you to wear "business attrire" that means coat, slacks, tie) I accepted the job and when it came to the end I came to the cold-hard realization that I could not expect my wife and three kids to live in a one-bedroom walk-up, in the ghetto on government assistance just so I could live out my dreams. I opted to remove myself from the class. You can request to be placed back on the list for upcoming classes...I chose not to. Another prep is to get National Registry EMT-B which the FDNY will accept in lieu of the CFR-D requirement. I'd suggest going out to the City and check it out for your self. Also expect to shell out a sizeable chunk of money for application fees, traveling and hotels expenses numerous times throughout the hiring process.

Hey Bro...I was born in NW Ohio and work for one of the biggest fire departments in the state and I have never considered myself a "hillbilly", "red-neck" or any other...you must be from the south, at least south of me.
    Thanks for the info my friend. I'm not too concerned with the physical agility tests. I'm the type of guy that likes to stay in the gym 5 or 6 days a week, plus I do the Firefighter Combat Challenge.
    Whether it's FDNY, Ohio, San Fran or LA, I WILL make the military to civilian transfer...thanks again brother..stay low and stay safe.

Leave a comment:

• LVFD301
    replied
    But if you get on, I got a couple of buildings up in Nyack I can sell ya cheap!

No plumbing, but who needs that?

Leave a comment:

• Hopefulprobie
    replied

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X