Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non NewYorker FDNY Bubbas

Fellas,

I was just curious what the guys on the job at FDNY think about guys that come from all over the country to join the department.
    The reason I ask is because I am a current military(AF/Washington state) firefighter who is getting my discharge in Jan 08 and i'd love to join the FDNY even though i'm a Californian born and raised.
    Thanks for any replies guys.
    Happy Turkey Day.

I wonder how many out of towners actually get hired. WIth giving 5 points for residency, thats gotta be though to get a good score without an automatic 5 points.

Comment

I would know. I am one of them. There are quite a few people that get hired from out of state. i would ventre a guess of 10-15%. Anyway, they do break my balls for being from out of state but it's good natured for the most part. As long as you show a real drive to be good at your job and let them know you want to be there they will lay off of you. Just don't talk about where you came from unless they ask.

Comment

Ah

How was adjusting to NYC?

Comment

I don't think you will have a problem at all. As long as you know your job and do your job you will be fine. The other day I relieved a guy from England that came here to get on the job. If you are taking the test in January, good luck. If you didn't sign up for that test then you will have to wait about 4 years for the next test.

Comment

I was curious as to the treatment of out-of-towners as well. I'm originally a Yankee (born in Ohio) but living in Austin, Texas, right now. I too am going up to take the FDNY test in Jan, but I'm moving up there to focus fully (see: get the residency points) on getting hired.

I don't want to be thought of as a Jippy-Joe because I want to be part of FDNY and I'm not from NYC. I just want the chance to work for one of the greatest departments in one of the greatest cities in the country.
            Just a peon proby in the greatest job in the world; grinning ear to ear.

Comment

I've wondered this too like most of you guys.. well I didn't apply at FDNY but I have applied in different states and I wonder how they'll take it if I got hired.

Comment

Well you will be considered a "Jippy-Joe" and a buff and an idiot for coming to New York. A lot of guys that were born and raised here don't know the reputation and draw that the FDNY has to firemen from all over the country and don't understand why guys wouldn't just become a fireman in their own town. Over time though, once you prove yourself, the image of a hillbilly will start to fade and you'll be accepted but the ball breaking will still go on.

Comment

Probie,

I got to talking to one of a chief out here in Arizona recently, and he was explaining to me that because the FDNY ff's get paid very little, many of the firefighters live like crap, live off food stamps, are barely making ends meat, etc. How true is that statement? Are there affordable places to live nearby in decent neighborhoods? I've done SOME research, but it seems that many places are expensive. Are there places you can recommend me to check out while I'm in town?

Being an FDNY ff would mean a great deal to me, and even it meant working more now, just in case, to get myself through probation, I'd do it.

Thanks...

Comment

AZCadet,
                    We do get paid very poorly, especially considering the cost of living. Many guys in my house travel over an hour and a half in order to live upstate or out in Suffolk county where it is a little cheaper. A lot of the younger guys are still living at home with their parents and everyone has a second job. That said, it is a great job, there are people from all over the country on the job and everyone gets their balls broken, regardless of where they are from. If you come to work ready to go to work you won't have any problems. Good luck wherever you end up.

Comment

The foodstamp thing is a little off. I don't know if there are any firemen that are on foodstamps. In probie school if you are married with two kids you CAN get foodstamps. There are no really affordable neighborhoods. if you're not married you will probably need to find a roommate. Try Woodlawn in the Bronx. Rent is semi-affordable. you can find a studio for 800-900 and a 1 bedroom from 1100-1300. Houses about an hour away will run 350,000 for a decent 3 br 2 bath. With that said, it would be worth it to get away from that west coast phoenix mentality and come to the east coast where real fireman work!

Comment

"it would be worth it to get away from that west coast phoenix mentality and come to the east coast where real fireman work!"

What do you mean by that comment Hopeful probie?

Comment

Originally posted by behrens675
                          "it would be worth it to get away from that west coast phoenix mentality and come to the east coast where real fireman work!"

What do you mean by that comment Hopeful probie?
                          LOL ... I knew that was coming.

Comment

Lol

Hopeful Probie is just busting your balls. Its all good. FDNY is "THE SHOW" in my book. I was always told, if your fellow firefighters dont bust your balls then they dont like you. Take it all in fun!!!

Comment

LOL! Well, I'll be taking a trip out there for the testing process...so I'll check it out. Thanks, Probie.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X