Criminal History and My Dream Job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Criminal History and My Dream Job

I'm currently in the Chicago Fire Department testing process, and I'm dying to become a "Paid guy", in a high volume area. Currently I'm a volunteer FF / EMT- B, just working and plugging away getting ready for Medic class.

Getting down to the point, recently in July and August I pumped and ran gas 3 times for a total of 179 dollars and change. Aside from some work release and restitution with a fine, I received a Class D Felony for theft, which in a year will be knocked down to a class A misdemeanor *I'm going to try and have my attorney have it knocked down sooner then that*

Bottom line, with a misdemeanor, do my chances for hire get any worse?

Your dream job ...

Shoulda thought of that before you decided to steal the gas.

My guess is you don't have a chance ... it is TOO recent. But I am not a firefighter, all I know is what I've read on here over the years when this type of issue comes to light. It will come out during your background check. I'm thinking it won't matter if it is a misdemeanor charge or not. But again, I could be totally off base.

Good luck, and clean up your act.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Comment

Anyone else got a opinion, advice or guidance?

Comment

Not good, it was just so recent and you did it 3 times! I dont know you so of course I cant judge your character. But just think, when they look at all of thier candidates, who are they going to pick? It is a VERY competitive career and you have to play your cards right and stay out of trouble. To the fire dept. you might seem like too much of a risk. Just my 2 cents, good luck..

Comment

Advice...Not to be mean, but dream on...
          Again, not a put down, but Id say youll have a hard time gettn a job as a tater toter.

Comment

How old are you? It may take 10 years of outstanding behavior. Many departments will not even consider you until it is in the past and you have a track record of outstanding behavior since incident. The competition is to fierce. Im not trying to bring you down but you have to take responsibility for your actions. You may consider the military as a firefighter.

Comment

tater toter? haha thats a new one, I just don't know what it means

I'm only 21 though, and
              Yes I was just charged TODAY as luck would have it, and being dropped down to a mis demeanor in a year pry won't help me all that much either, it'll still be there.

I ****ed up and I manned up and admitted to it, and accepted punishment for it. I just wish I would have thought for once in my life.

Comment

Another way of looking at it

Originally posted by Jourdan
                Anyone else got a opinion, advice or guidance?
                If you are looking for a virgin --would you find her on a street corner at 0300hrs at $20 a pop?

Or if you had a hundred applicants for a situation that required them to have no stains on their character at all, would you hire the one that had a record--and tell the other 99 "Squeaky Cleans" to go away?

Sorry Sunbeam--dream away.

Comment

tater toter? haha thats a new one, I just don't know what it means

I'm only 21 though, and
                  Yes I was just charged TODAY as luck would have it, and being dropped down to a mis demeanor in a year pry won't help me all that much either, it'll still be there.

I ****ed up and I manned up and admitted to it, and accepted punishment for it. I just wish I would have thought for once in my life.
                  So let me ask you are you going to drop out of the running or are you gonna do the smart thing and finish the process through?? If I were you I would finish. Let them tell you no or who knows it may be yes (with stipulations such as extended probationary period, etc..) My point is it wont hurt you to finish but it will if you drop out. Who knows one of these guys telling you to forget it may be on the same list as you. praying you drop out to put him 1 spot closer. Good luck and use your head a from now on.

Comment

No sir I don't plan to drop out, nor do I plan not to test for further departments. I plan to start my backup plan tho.. However unlikely it is that I will get hired, I intend to drive on and maybe I'll get lucky, becuase this is what I want to do, I ****ed up, and I'm hoping I find a fire department that believes in second chances. I've already talked to my Medic class proctor about this situation *not currently in class, I start in August 07*, and I'll be fine as long as I stay the course from here on out. Once finished with medic class I plan to keep plugging away at getting hired, but I'll be attending College at the same time, getting my degree in marketing and see what happens.

Comment

No sir I don't plan to drop out, nor do I plan not to test for further departments. I plan to start my backup plan tho.. However unlikely it is that I will get hired, I intend to drive on and maybe I'll get lucky, becuase this is what I want to do, I ****ed up, and I'm hoping I find a fire department that believes in second chances. I've already talked to my Medic class proctor about this situation *not currently in class, I start in August 07*, and I'll be fine as long as I stay the course from here on out. Once finished with medic class I plan to keep plugging away at getting hired, but I'll be attending College at the same time, getting my degree in marketing and see what happens.
                      Good Luck!

Comment

I'm currently in the Chicago Fire Department testing process, and I'm dying to become a "Paid guy", in a high volume area. Currently I'm a volunteer FF / EMT- B, just working and plugging away getting ready for Medic class.

Getting down to the point, recently in July and August I pumped and ran gas 3 times for a total of 179 dollars and change. Aside from some work release and restitution with a fine, I received a Class D Felony for theft, which in a year will be knocked down to a class A misdemeanor *I'm going to try and have my attorney have it knocked down sooner then that*

Bottom line, with a misdemeanor, do my chances for hire get any worse?

Yeah... much much worse.

Comment

Had a friend who applied to CFD as a medic. When they came upon a 10 year old felony in his background they dropped him. I believe you'll need to get it dropped down to a misdameanor to stand a chance.

Comment

Tatet Toter is someone who works for a private, hauling old or dead people around all day.
                            Ya, like someone else said, dont drop out or quit taking tests though, you never know, you might get lucky. Good luck man.

Comment

Good Luck

As an ex-background investigator and if were me you would be told maybe next time. I wish you all the luck because you'll need it. There are some Departments who might overlook your infraction...but I would not. You need to allow time and things will look better for you. Keep your nose clean and to the grind stone and all will work out. Keep a great attitude and keep testing if the current one your going through lets you go.
                              Respectfully,
                              Jay Dudley, Retired Fire
                              Respectfully,
                              Jay Dudley
                              Retired Fire
                              Background Investigator
                              IACOJ-Member
                              Lifetime Member CSFA
                              IAFF Alumni Member

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse