Active Hirings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Active Hirings

it has been brought to my attention that areas like fairfax are constantly hiring. however, the cost of living makes the move virtually impractical.

are threre departments that are similar in terms of frequency of hiring with a bit more realistic cost of living???

thanks

SE VA; Norfolk, Chesapeake, Portsmouth, VA Beach, Hampton, etc

Comment

To be honest, the "cost of living" should not be factor if you really want the job. I am not trying to be chump here, but I commute from one COL area to another.

Commute, rent, carpool....whatever it takes to get a job with your dream FD.

Comment

Originally posted by ajg111
        it has been brought to my attention that areas like fairfax are constantly hiring. however, the cost of living makes the move virtually impractical.

are threre departments that are similar in terms of frequency of hiring with a bit more realistic cost of living???

thanks

Check with Richmond, Henrico County and Chesterfield County, VA they take applications and are hiring. Cost of living isn't that bad in central Virginia so I have heard.
        OUTSTANDING

Make It Happen

Never forget 9-11-2001
        343 Brothers Who Were MURDERED!!

Comment

I hear Fairfax, VA is the main area in VA. The revenue created supports pretty much the whole state. The cost of living is unreal with the average household income being close to 100,000 plus, not to mention property taxes, even on cars!! If you decide to move to Fairfax, expect to be broke and poor for a few years until you get used to the cost of living. I would say unless your used to living in Beverly Hills, Move else where. My friend lives there and comes from an affluent family and when he moved there he felt like a poor person, having to sell his BMW for a more affordable car. Thats a swift example, now as for public assistance, its a wait! You can find cheap 2 bedroom apartments in the area for about 1100-1500 per month excluding utilities, if you dont believe me, look online, the information is there. Its a rich town. Most wise people would look else where to live and fight the traffic commute to and from the "great state of Fairfax".

But as other have mentioned, if it's your dream - chase it and get it!

Comment

thank you for replying and if anyone has any other suggestions on other areas of the country that are constantly hiring, i would appreciate the info. thanks

Comment

Just like Bou said, don't let the cost of living scare you. The department and the Local are very involved in affordable housing and there is a program for rookie firefighters which rents them an apartment VERY close to the academy for a reduced rate. If Crapgame79 is still here, he can tell you more...

I dare you to find a department in Virginia that compares to Fairfax County in pay, health/safety benefits or anything else.
              Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

Comment

I've heard Fairfax isn't too bad...it's the travel times in the DC area that is the real problem. My current Fire Chief just retired from Fairfax last year, and speaks highly of the area. Big difference coming from a booming, growing area, to this cess pool of NY State...

Comment

I find Fairfax to be somewhat affordable. It is expensive though, but well worth the cost. The quality of living is great compared to other places I have lived in the US. I lived in NYC for most of childhood and Phoenix up until 5 years ago and totally enjoy living here, though I'm not into the cold weather being from a place where the weather is great year round. The job market is booming and theres plenty of great places to unwind. Most of the people I have met here are pretty solid people with more than a high school education and the seem very work orientated. The housing market on the other hand is a bit expensive, if you have the means to buy a $350,000 dollar townhouse or very small house your looking in the right place. You will find older houses that in other states would be no more $130,000 running close to $450,000+ depends on the location. I live in Fairfax City and wont mention the cost of mine, but its has been a great place to live so far and pretty safe. I have a 5 year old that goes to school, and I think the Public Schools out here are breeding over achievers (which is a great thing). I suggest visiting the area and getting a taste of what the county has to offer. And yes, there is a pretty decent housing program for new recruits that you have to qualify for and the places they are offering to live at are in mid to upper class neighborhoods. You should check it out! Good Luck!!

Comment

Henrico County Division of Fire is hiring...all career department, second largest department in the state behind Fairfax. 500+ FF's, full fire service agency accredited...and this is 100% career.

It's a suburb of Richmond, the capitol of Virginia. Cost of living is affordable, good schools.

Gets fair share of fire...as the county is very diverse. Has commercial, urban housing, very high end housing.

Our current Fire Chief was a deputy Chief in Fairfax before coming down.

Check it out.

Comment

My current Fire Chief just retired from Fairfax last year.
                      Our current Fire Chief was a deputy Chief in Fairfax before coming down.
                      Does any one else see the trend that I see? Fairfax is a hell of a good thing to have on a resume.

I'm sure Mike Ward could expound on others...

Comment

I commute 55 miles one way to work. I choose to live in a different city than where I work. I don’t mind the drive. It’s just what I do.

For the record, you are looking at the entry-level pay on the job flyer. Keep in mind that this is the LEAST amount of money that you will ever make. You will have timed step increases. In addition, while I am not familiar with this department, you may have an opportunity for “skill” pay for being on the USAR or Haz Mat Team. There is also a nice bonus for being in the paramedic program. Lastly, after a period of time (anywhere form 6 mo. to one year) you are eligible to work overtime. Follow your dreams and work for the department that excites and stimulates you. Everything else will work out.

Paul Lepore
                        Battalion Chief
                        www.aspiringfirefighters.com
                        Paul Lepore
                        Battalion Chief
                        www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Comment

Good advice, Chief.

Although we do not have monetary bonuses for HazMat or USAR at this time, ALS does give a good bump.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X