Where to look?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to look?

Whats up everyone, I was just wondering what the best time was to catch a lot of fire departments hiring? Right now I am looking into Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, or Virginia or Maryland, I am looking on Labor Department sites, City sites, but I am finding almost nothing. The few I did find needed Medic Certs(esp. in Virginia). I was just wondering if there was a "best" time to apply for firefighter positions, or the time of the year they mostly hire? I notice they are all hiring for police officers. I guess it's just my luck.

Go to citys websites, then check for a FD link. The Official FD site should have a site for Employment and will let you know when they hire. Some FD's only take app's every 2-3 years, so learn patience. SE VA & the DC metro area have numerous departments that take app's frequently.

Comment

Fall & spring, every two years in the midwest areas(Illinois & Indiana). Good luck!

Comment

There are a lot of websites out there too, try a google search for Firefighter employment, some you'll have to pay for and some will give you some free bits to entice you, if you take those city names and do some research you'll find what your after.

Comment

Try www.firecareers.com
          Paul Lepore
          Battalion Chief
          www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Comment

First, find out what cities and towns in your area are carreer. Call everyone of the departments that are and simply ask when they will be testing. It takes a bit of time but the whole process of becoming a firefighter is time consuming and this is a good place to start the road ahead.

Comment

Charlotte does their process once a year, starting in March/April.
              Do it because you love it, not because you love being seen doing it.

Comment

Thank you everyone for your replies... well I put in applications to Richmond, VA and Columbia, SC, that's all I found really so far. Does anyone know about these departments?

Comment

And also try-

www.firerecruit.com

Comment

Well guys, I did the "shotgun" approach that some of yall speak of... I put in about 10 applications with different departments. I researched each department, pay, city and all, everything seems fine. Sometimes they stated they would have a hiring process, other times they said they would just do interviews and then do the background/medical screenings. These places are about 3-5 hours away, nothing too local going on for now.

Has anyone else put in several applications to different departments at once? How did it turn out? I heard it could work, other times I hear it's not so good?

Comment

Originally posted by mattc05
                      Has anyone else put in several applications to different departments at once? How did it turn out? I heard it could work, other times I hear it's not so good?
                      I am in this situation now i'm still waiting to hear back about a part time job (gotta start somewhere) and a full time job that I took a test for and will have at least one or two applications that i'll be putting in and before this I had two departments that I tested for but did not make the cut on their written and got to the oral interview on another.

I guess it can't hurt thats just my thoughts though

Comment

ALot of middle TN departments are hiring also if TN is on your radar
                        IACOJ
                        FTM-PTB

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                        Working...