Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CFD vs. CFD questions

Hey everybody...

I was wondering if anybody could offer some insight: How well do the Cincinnati and Columbus academies stack up against others like OFA and vocational. I am thinking along the lines of repuatation of training, quality, certifications, etc...

I know Cincinnati's academy is 20 weeks and gets you EMT-B, FF-II, and Fire Inspector. But all I know about Columbus is that its 30 weeks long... Gotta pick one over the other pretty soon... Thanks

Well I'm sure you know you have to be offered a job at both of these departments to be in their academies. In any case the reputation of training or which one you go to really doesn't make any difference. Your state of ohio certifications don't say where you went to school, who taught your class or your grade in the class. All anyone cares about is whether you have the card or not.

Each department Cincinnati and Columbus are going to teach you what you need to know to pass and get your certifications but they are also going to teach you the "Cincinnati way" or the "Columbus way" of doing things. Both can actually be considerably different than the other. If I were you I would look into what you're most interested in or concerned about as it comes to city finances, size of the department, growth of the department and where you want to live. Pay I believe cincinnati beats columbus, they work the same schedule 24 48 with a 3 week kelly day. On the other side Columbus is expanding by annexation, they have a Paramedic unit in almost every house (may sound bad but the workload for ems is spread out more) and due to size have more fires. So it's all what you're looking for, but as far as it goes the reputation of training doesn't mean squat. You are really going to make your own reputation by how well you perform and are accepted on the companies.

Comment

just like the last post said... google columbus civil service and you can look at up the current contract and you might be able to find the 5 yr plan. A ff/medic with about 6 years on made about 65 thousand last with a little overtime in there. 34 houses and growning

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
      Working...
      X