Gun Toter To Hose Dragger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gun Toter To Hose Dragger

Just curious if anyone out there has made the move from law enforcement to fire? I am considering making the move myself but looking for some pro's and con's from someone who has been there. One of the most attractive thing with fire is the 24 on 48 off schedule. Just wanted some advice from someone who has been there. Public safety professionals regradless of what branch they go to, are cut from a similar mold in my opinion so maybe thats why both careers are attractive to me not really sure, just in an info gathering stage currently. Thanks in advance for your replies!

My department has hired four cops as firefighters in the recent past (three city and one Sheriff). All have done exceptionally well. Part of it has been because; as you put it we are cut from the same cloth. In each of their cases they all wanted to become firefighters, but changed directions when the struggle to become a firefighter became too much. Each respectively did a good job as police officers, but their heart was not in police work.

They all became EMT’s and took fire science courses on their days off. Most importantly they learned about the fire service. I would encourage you to look deeply into your motivation. If it is merely because firefighters have better schedules than police officers you will have a long road ahead of you.

I see that you are in Atlanta. You are in luck as the Atlanta Fire Department is a great bunch of men and women. I personally have ridden along with them. I encourage you to make some contacts on the fire department and speak to them. They can tell you, from their perspective, about the pros and cons of the job. I am sure they can also offer you a ride along so you can see first hand.

As a firefighter people are happy you showed up. In their view everything is going to be OK because firefighters can solve any problem. The vast majority of our contact with the public is positive. Take a look at any of the national surveys and you will see that firefighters are the most trusted profession in America. In short, everybody loves a firefighter. As a police officer the contact is often in a negative light (traffic stop, what took you so long to get here? etc.)

Lastly, while people see police and fire as being very similar I disagree. I find firefighters to be very open, engaging, and friendly. On the other hand police officers are more suspicious of people. This is not meant to be disparaging to police officers, rather it’s a matter of the job. I have many friends who are police officers, but there is definitely a difference between my police and fire friends.

Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Comment

Originally posted by ATLDeputy
      Just curious if anyone out there has made the move from law enforcement to fire? I am considering making the move myself but looking for some pro's and con's from someone who has been there. One of the most attractive thing with fire is the 24 on 48 off schedule. Just wanted some advice from someone who has been there. Public safety professionals regradless of what branch they go to, are cut from a similar mold in my opinion so maybe thats why both careers are attractive to me not really sure, just in an info gathering stage currently. Thanks in advance for your replies!
      Litterally 1000s of members of the FDNY are former NYPD. Much of that has to do with what a sh*t job the NYPD has turned into. But many like the better schedual (fewer appearances) and better working conditions (other than the fires that is.)

In FD you don't have to worry about going to jail for shooting someone in a split second decision. You don't have to worry about civil rights violations, getting spit on, getting in fights with skells, putting up with a-hole liberal lawyers, civilians and judges who look to second guess you all the time because you are the "man". Most FDs I would say are closer to their bosses than PD...today's PDs it seems has bosses who don't support their officers and are only looking for that next promotion.

No illegal ticket quotas to meet, No BS...just come to work and go to fires. Do your job and you will be fine.

I don't know where you work...but I'll bet you will enjoy being a fireman much more than a cop and your family will probably notice a postitive change in your demeanor as well.

Best of luck.

FTM-PTB

Comment

I have a "convert" working on my shift. He's a FF/PM Lieutenant and does a great job. Keeps the troops "in line" for me in a subtle way, is very motivated, and has good "people" skills.
        Drawback.....nothing major.....a little bit of an independant thinker - but that's a characteristic I see in PM's that comes with the responsability.
        Best part is he's open to constructive input and perspectives.

Certainly has the para-military portion of the job understood..... :-)

I think if you want to do this job, doesn't matter what you were before - get into it with vision and ambition.......and remember that it isn't a utopia....there will be a supervisor and/or co-worker and expectations that you will not like. Just stick with it until you can be in a position to make a difference.

Capt. Dave

Comment

All cops are firefighters on the inside. All they have to do to become a firefighter is come out, take the test and become one.
          OUTSTANDING

Make It Happen

Never forget 9-11-2001
          343 Brothers Who Were MURDERED!!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader