Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions on hireability

Hello,

I am a 17 year old California native, and a hopeful for a future career in the Fire Fighting service. I am very concerned about my hireability at a department. I am planning on being married quickly after my nineteenth birthday, and I would like to support my wife and I.

I am currently enrolled in Fire Technology classes. In the past I have achieved the Star Scout rank, while not as impressive as Eagle Scout, is still pretty impressive. I should have my FSA by the end of this year.

Next year I am planning on attending a Paid-call Fire Academy, and a California state Fire Marshal approved EMT-1 class.

I am a man of my word, and very honest. My Grandfather was Fire Prevention and Arson inspector for Chino, Montclair, and later San Bernardino county. My father was a military man (US Air Force). I have a good work ethic and strong ethics in general.

I was wondering on whether or not my hireability is good enough for the greater Cincinnati area, as that is where I am planning on moving soon.

Any advice given or words spoken word be greatly appreciated.

~Young Hopeful, California.

Originally posted by younghopeful
    Hello,

I am a 17 year old California native, and a hopeful for a future career in the Fire Fighting service. I am very concerned about my hireability at a department. I am planning on being married quickly after my nineteenth birthday, and I would like to support my wife and I.

I am currently enrolled in Fire Technology classes. In the past I have achieved the Star Scout rank, while not as impressive as Eagle Scout, is still pretty impressive. I should have my FSA by the end of this year.

Next year I am planning on attending a Paid-call Fire Academy, and a California state Fire Marshal approved EMT-1 class.

I am a man of my word, and very honest. My Grandfather was Fire Prevention and Arson inspector for Chino, Montclair, and later San Bernardino county. My father was a military man (US Air Force). I have a good work ethic and strong ethics in general.

I was wondering on whether or not my hireability is good enough for the greater Cincinnati area, as that is where I am planning on moving soon.

Any advice given or words spoken word be greatly appreciated.

~Young Hopeful, California.
    First things first....

If you want a career in the fire service...great...get the required certs as mandated by your state and start applying. Maybe get on as a volly first to see if its what you want to do.

Your 17 now and already planning to be married by 19??? Why so soon? I dont have anything against marriage, but I wouldnt even worry about marriage until you get your career plans in line. Nineteen is awfully young....to young IMO to be married.

You havent even lived your life yet....give it some time. If you have a special someone thats great...but you may find things will change and its not "the one".

I was married at 20....that marriage lasted one year...we are still friends to this day and we both look back and laugh because we realize we were merely foolish kids.
    Warm Regards,
    Shawn Stoner
    EMT-B

Comment

Sounds like your on a pretty good path so far. You'll need to check into reciprocity for your EMT certification. Also, if you plan on landing a job in Ohio, you'll most likely need to become a paramedic at some point. There are a lot of opportunities in the greater Cincy area. Check out Hamilton FD. They accept applications on a continuous basis. www.hamilton-city.org/
      Last edited by Firemedic515; 10-28-2006, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Looks like you have a good base to work off of.

First- Now this is me and ONLY ME. I have spoken out against early marriage in here before and I will say it again. The other poster was right. Please wait on marraige. Why? Again, you really dont know yourself, your not established in life, financially and stability. PLEASE wait.

Trust me, I know the feeling. Youre out of high school, your support network is gone or different. I got hired F/T right out of high school and look back thinking how glad I was not to marry then even with a F/T job. AND PLEASE CONSIDER THIS- If you get married and divorced, you will then have a little extra baggage and drama to deal with that will just delay you in your fire service job pursuit. Besides, you do not need a piece of paper to be in love with someone and enjoy their company. I went to my 10 year high school reunion and ALL of the people who got married were divorced. (Thats around age 27)

Second- Get on as a Volly/PCF and get that experience. And keep gonig to school and finish that education. Its sooooo worth it. I am sure BC Paul will back me on this once he sees this thread.

Get a plan together. Save some money. Keep going to school and PLEASE, hold off on marriage. You dont need it as bad as you think.

Comment

Originally posted by CALFFBOU
          I went to my 10 year high school reunion and ALL of the people who got married were divorced. (Thats around age 27)
          I'll second that. I was amazed at how many of my classmates were married AND divorced (by the time of our 10 year)!

Now mind you, your "hireability" may also be questioned in being married so young. While it may not be legal to be considerred, it might (I stress might) be an issue for some.

No one here questions your feelings for her, but you need to consider yourself first. Get yourself established first. If she's the one, she'll understand and wait. You'll need to bring her up to speed on what commitment it will take from not only you, but her as well as you; take classes, test, study, attend an academy, test, probation, blah blah blah.

It's been said, it sounds like you have a plan. I'm just weighing in and saying hold off on the marriage too.

Good luck,
          bam

And keep gonig to school and finish that education.
          BOU, love all your posts since you are pretty much always right on the money, but in the context of your sentence, the misspelling had me ROFL

bam

Comment

Originally posted by ffbam24
            BOU, love all your posts since you are pretty much always right on the money, but in the context of your sentence, the misspelling had me ROFL

bam
            LOL...Thats what I get for working multiple shifts back-to back- typos. Thanks for the compliment and pointing it out. "Crash and burn, huh Mav?"
            Last edited by CALFFBOU; 10-29-2006, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Awe yes, marriage

A command class captain from San Francisco Fire said, "more than 76% of our firefighters have been divorced at least once. If you want to get married go find someone you hate and buy them a house."

Marriage is the only war where you sleep with the enemy.

What's the toughest year of marriage? Always the one you're going to be in.

I write these after just being married for 42 years. My wife says only 29 years were good. I don't know which ones. I just work on today. Today is good. I'm out of the penalty box. Which means I'll will be back in there soon.

University of Denver has a test you can take that will show with 92% accuracy if you will stay together. Guess what? Most people don't want to take the test. They don't want to know the results. Their in love. That's all that counts.

"Love is grand. Divorce starts at 100 grand."

Captain Bob

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

More Tips on getting hired and promoted by Firehouse Contributing Author Fire “Captain Bob” Articles here:
              http://www.firehouse.com/contact/10544410/bob-smith

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Comment

I was just wondering I have a wart on my rear end, how can I get that removed. What the he** are you guys giving marriage advice to two people you don't even know. He asked about hireability not information from Dr. Drew and Dr. Phil. Stick to the firefighting and leave this guys personal life to him.

Comment

Irons- He threw everything out there, the whole package. Trying to get hired on encompasses everything.

He wants to get hired, but is about to make one of the most common mistakes in his quest to get the badge. Should we just stand by and let him make it or maybe open his eyes up a little more.

Something to think about. Divorce is expenise in both time and money. This expense can show up on a credit report. Hmmmm....What do you think a hiring agency is going to look at? Or think about this- More writing and explaination to do on your background packet. Sure the ex might bury you or she might not. The Background Investigator might believe her, might not. But why open yourself up to all of that?

I think all of us are speaking from experience. If youre a career FF, you might have noticed the trends in the career. And the longer youre married, the more bloody these splits become. No one claimed to be a Dr. Drew or Phil.

Trust me, the guy will be thankful down the line.
                  Last edited by CALFFBOU; 10-30-2006, 12:32 AM.

Comment

Bob,
                    That is one of the funniest posts I have ever read. It’s also one of the saddest. I find it hard to believe that 76% of San Francisco firefighters have been divorced. That seems awfully high. I will be in the San Francisco FD training academy next week for two days worth of meetings. I will try to verify this. I hope this number is artificially high.

Irons,
                    There you go again slinging mud in every post. This website is designed to give advice. You take what applies to you and leave the rest. I am still waiting for your answer in the “Poor credit” post. Put your talents to constructive work instead of insulting those who are looking to give advice. It’s OK to disagree, but do it with class. Your message will be more credible.

For the record, I have been married for 15 years and I agree with everything the previous posters have said about marriage. I waited until I was 27 and owned several houses until I got married. I have no regrets, but it’s not easy. My wife is a saint. She deserves a medal for putting up with me.

I look at the person I am at 42. I am way different than I was at 27, nonetheless, at 18. To the young poster, take time to enjoy life. If you truly love each other you will stay together and get married down the road.

Speaking of roads, it is a long one to get hired on the fire department. I encourage you to get your education, get through an EMT course, put yourself through a basic fire academy, and work on getting hired on the fire department. Once you get hired, work hard in the academy and on probation.

Once you are set in your career, then you can worry about supporting someone else.

Good luck with your decision. You seem to have a good head on your shoulders.

Paul Lepore
                    Battalion Chief
                    www.aspiringfirefighters.com
                    Paul Lepore
                    Battalion Chief
                    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Comment

Wish the original poster would come back and reflect on our messages.

-Bou
                      Last edited by CALFFBOU; 10-30-2006, 03:17 PM.

Comment

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH the same crap post after post from the same people those holier than you fellas. Why I am not surprised the old BC would chime in with some useless drabble. We just had Dr. Phil (Calfbou) now we have Oprah (Bclepore) the group is complete. Maybe you guys will get the chance to have your own help line on Firehouse.com. Good luck with that. And as far me responding to BCs question you've aggravated me enough I'm not going to answer.

Comment

I would have to echo MOST of the above posts, school is the most important thing listed. Consider following a paramedic program, it gets you a degree and a better possibility of a job after completion. If your heart leads you toward getting married that will at least pay the bills until you can get on with a paid fire department. Also a volunteer fire department might even pay for your paramedic program and get you the schools and classes needed for the FD job!!

Marriage can be a great thing, but either the EMS or fire professions can be extremely taxing on the marriage. I have been in the AF for 23 years with 14 of them married which is nothing short of a miracle.

Get in school, study hard, and best of luck!! I wish I had started the process at your age!!!

Comment

Hmmmm....I give one person a small piece of advice on a very real trend in the fire service and I am now "Dr. Phil"?

Irons- You certainly show your true colors now, dont you? Why not give your angle on things vs. acting like a jackass in here?

Comment

Hmmmm....I give one person a small piece of advice on a very real trend in the fire service and I am now "Dr. Phil"?

Irons- You certainly show your true colors now, dont you? Why not give your angle on things vs. acting like a jackass in here?
                              younghopeful maybe if you listen to them about about getting married too young you to will end up here a lonely old man with over 3,400+ posts. HMMM ... Do you see where i'm going with this??
                              Do what you feel is right bro no matter what any of us say.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X