No announcement yet.

Poor Credit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are people with financial problems in every job. Just because you are a firefighter with no financial problems doesnt make you better than anyone else. How many firefighters have been told "we dont have any work for you so why dont you take the next week off." My point is that a credit issue should be looked at on an individual basis. You shouldnt be looked at like you are a second class citizen. It is hard enough to make ends meet, let alone worrying if you will be working next week.

Comment

Wow.....

Here's that link I mentioned earlier, some good threads in there on how to start cleaning it up:
      Credit Repair Forums

Good luck all.
      bam

.....wow.....

Comment

jam 387 and anyone else,

go for your dream. if you are a hard worker, then you will get hired somewhere, do anything and everything you can to put yourself on the top of the list and run with it.

best of luck to all.

Comment

Originally posted by metsfan06

Dennis,
          What the hell fire dept. do you work for that all you have time to do is sit around and look at each others credit report ?? Then match the report up with the guy to see if he is a good firefighter or a bad firefighter. Must be pretty slow there. Maybe the towns people should fight to have ya's do some DPW work if your that slow. Thanks for your input anyway.
          When guys are complaining they can't get the car they want because their credit sucks, I can chaulk him up as having bad credit scores, when a guy buys a large house in a good neighborhood and we don't hear a peep of complaint about the process it is pretty clear that he has good credit. The former guy is usually not the hardest worker around with his act together 24/7 while the latter is usually a guy in the top half of the crew. Pretty simple to figure out during the basic socializing during the work day.

If you have good judgement skills you won't have bad credit. The only exception is a few of those guys with true entrepreneurial spirits who might have had bad timing with a business choice, but it is rare that those sorts of folks will be apply for firefighting positions, but are the reason things like this are allowed to be explained away from time to time.
          Last edited by DennisTheMenace; 10-30-2006, 09:55 AM.
          Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
          -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Originally posted by nyckftbl
          LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Comment

Originally posted by trevolp View Post
            jam 387 and anyone else,

go for your dream. if you are a hard worker, then you will get hired somewhere, do anything and everything you can to put yourself on the top of the list and run with it.

best of luck to all.
            Good advice.....people make mistakes; even the most brilliant candidates have erred at some time or another whether they admit it or not, whether the background check reveals it or not...

we should be the best we can be and go from there...I feel that if you do not get on at a department it was not intended for you to be there...it was not God's plan or for some of us just was not in the cards per se...at any rate, if your credit is bad do what you can do to restore it and move forward...

Comment

My credit is the worst, got 3 job offers after background investigations, full scale. Depends on the department but I don't think they weigh on it, but every dept is different

Comment

Originally posted by isaiah5417 View Post
                Good advice.....people make mistakes; even the most brilliant candidates have erred at some time or another whether they admit it or not, whether the background check reveals it or not...

we should be the best we can be and go from there...I feel that if you do not get on at a department it was not intended for you to be there...it was not God's plan or for some of us just was not in the cards per se...at any rate, if your credit is bad do what you can do to restore it and move forward...
                Ditto!!! Great Advice!! Go for your Dream. Don't get hung up on these "so-called" perfect people who work for perfect departments...BECAUSE no one is perfect.
                Truck Company Love

Comment

This is just my situation.......I do not have perfect credit. Credit score in the 500's. This worried me a great deal when I returned from Iraq and started looking for a job. (I worked for a dept before going to Iraq.)
                  Lucky enough for me I found a dept that hired me regardless of my credit history. I don't think they even checked it. I work for a medium sized suburban dept out side a large southern city. It is a great job and I am so happy to be working again in a job I love. To all of those guys out there worried about bad credit, hang in there. Apply everywhere you can. You might have to move, but you can find a good job with bad credit.

My questions is.............how many guys with perfect credit get hired and end up being totally useless firefighters? And how many guys get hired with perfect credit and then have problems after they are hired. Should they be fired then? I do not think credit should be used as a reason to bump a person out of a spot. Everyone's situation is different. I had some outside problems that affected my credit, along with some internal issues about spending the money I had. This has no bearing on my ability to show up for work on time, train my butt off, get along will with my co-workers and set an example to kids that come in for tours, and so on. I am a good fireman, regardless of the fact that my credit score is low. I am not perfect by no means, just a good guy trying to do a good job at my place of employment.

I am not taking sides here. Just my situation as it is, and I hope it will help anyone out there and inspire them to keep on trying for a fire dept job regardless of their credit history. It is the greatest job!
                  Last edited by MoparFyrMan1; 06-29-2007, 10:58 AM.

Comment

I haven't posted here in awhile so I'll rehash my earlier posts, I am a current Law Enforcement Officer looking to "switch sides" and go FD. I have a pretty good understanding of background checks and what agencies look at.

Bad Credit will get you turned down at alot of agencies, for whatever reason, credit now is looked upon as indicitive of a persons reliablility and responsibility. The sad and honest part is that it is neither. Credit only shows your financial history and in most cases, has nothing to do with irresponsibility.

Prior to coming into LE, I owned a business, things went great for several years until one day a national competitor showed up and drove me into closing the business. As a result my credit went from the high 700's to mid 400's as I could no longer pay my liabilities.
                    I had several collection agencies calling and lawyers licking themselves trying to get at me. Fortunately I had a good attorney of my own and as a result I was able to get my financial situation turned around quickly.

First, any debt that you have paid off in full needs to be disputed with the credit agency (ie: equifax, Transunion) most collection and credit card companies will not respond to a dispute (on an account that has been paid off) and as a result are required by law to remove the negative mark on your credit.

Second, call the companies that you owe money too, offer them a reasonable settlement of your account, if they refuse, do not pay them another dime. Each payment you make to them will cause the account to be reported longer. As the account gets older it is easier to delete from your report.

Third, don't feel bad about your situation, if you have been responsible and just suffered a setback why should you be punished for up to ten years? Work to get yourself out of the situation but by no means should you ever go into debt to get out of debt and never pay a company that refuses to delete a negative mark on your credit.

You don't need a lawyer, just research the laws as they relate to credit and use them (like all businesses do) to your advantage.

Once you get yourself out of the situation, be extremely careful to not get overextended.
                    Last edited by MadClown; 07-02-2007, 04:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MadClown View Post
                      Bad Credit will get you turned down at alot of agencies, for whatever reason, credit now is looked upon as indicitive of a persons reliablility and responsibility. The sad and honest part is that it is neither. Credit only shows your financial history and in most cases, has nothing to do with irresponsibility.
                      While poor credit may not be a sole indicator, it is a major indicator. Sure, like anything else in a background check, there may be extenuating circumstances. However, if an individual regularly gets himself into financial trouble, not only is it an indicator of poor self-control and responsibility, it is also a threat to the public trust. A person in difficult financial circumstances is viewed as more likely willing to "stretch the envelope" of truth and honesty.
                      My comments are sometimes educated, sometimes informed and sometimes just blowing smoke...but they are always mine and mine alone and do not reflect upon anyone else (especially my employer).

Comment

so.. those of us that have gone into debt due to having children or having to leave a job to complete a fire academy (i did) in order to better ourselves... are pretty much screwed, i guess?
                        man. talk about tough.

i guess we all do what we can.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                        Working...