Poor Credit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BCLepore
    “It is fellas like the the chief and Jay that discourage young guys from becoming firefighters.”

I love the irony. In one post I am discouraging people from wanting to become firefighters.

“You guys are nothing more then salesmen trying to sell your products to people who come on here looking for help.”

In the next, I am all about making money. (thanks Metsfan for the link to my website).

Why would I discourage people from wanting to become firefighters if my objective was to sell books? Maybe I am speaking from my heart, rather than from someone who is looking to make a buck.

Metsfan,
    I am still waiting for an answer to my last post. I’ll put it here for you again:

In a similar debate (I believe it was about background investigations), I asked you to ask the LEADERS of your department what they felt. You may find that your view from the back seat is different from those who actually make decisions.

I would not expect a big spike in hits if they actually read the post. why would you discourage someone? If this person thinks he could get the job without your help your website would be done for.

You guys are the so called experts in your line of work. The only thing I would like to know is how do you know what kind of an employee a guy with a bad credit history is since you guys claim to not have a single one working in your dept?

P.S. I'll get that answer your looking for.

Comment

Ah another one of bc's cronies
      That's awesome. I have never been called that before!

unfortunately I see there is another one of their brainwashed cronies who just don't know any better
      Nice! I am already a career firefighter. I have been one since 1997. I did not even know BCLepore even existed.

I guess i will have to get down on your level and say all this very ,very slow so maybe you can understand it.
      Thanks!

Look at a Dept. 1 state over from you that had to extend filing for two straight tests now due to low application turnout.
      Do you really, truly believe that is the case? Just wondering.

Well your commanders stated how this kid should just take 5,000 dollars and pay the money back now
      I still have not found were he said pay back all of it now at this very minute.

You dont agree with my comment about how the east coast differs from the west coast backgrounds: Well I can't take claim to that statement cause it was your commander who said that. I just said on the east coast they will give a person with a checkered past a chance because I know of several large depts. that put people on here on the east coast with a less then perfect background.
      Please show me were it was said that the west coast hires perfect candidates.

Your commanders stated straight forward that they do not have those people in "their houses" or on the west coast.
      Did not see that either.

But I am also telling him that because you have a credit issue it is not the end of the world and that he should still continue on with the process.
      I missed were is said it was the end of the world.

Your commanders were the ones who started making the claims that guys like that dont get hired where they are.
      Ah missed that too.

Now I'm sorry if you think I cause trouble but really I dont think i do I just have a different look on the way people should be judged for these jobs.
      Don't be sorry. In a way I agree with you. You are causing trouble. (sarcastic) I do think that sometimes people are judge unfairly in some areas.

for the most part alot of things are minor and a person deserves a shot but when you start using words like NEVER like these guys did to make claims of there depts. hiring standard and then to start throwing up situations of east coast vs. west coast standards like these guys did then you should be able to take a little bit of disagreement. Did this clear things up for you??
      Ok, again show me were NEVER was used. YOU started the east vs west. No it did not clear things up for me. Thanks for trying!

That is why you guys get all upset and have your little helpers come out in full force like kyle did to stick up for you guys.
      I don't know Jay. Seems like a really good guy though. Always helping people out and giving answers that are Honest. Also he shares his past experiance as a background investigator.
      I don't know Rob. I don't know Bob. (I wish I could make another ryhme and keep going with that.) I also don't know engineer2000.

Yea,yea,yea we know california candidates are some of the best candidates in the world. Blah,blah,blah. Thats why I met a couple of guys more then willing to leave that state for the east coast depts. At least there are a couple of guys out there not willing to settle for second best.
      I know a few that want to go out west, and south.

I dont mind a challenging conversation I'm not one to back down.
      10-4 on that one. You have made it quite clear that it is your way or the high way.

However this subject is getting to me already and trying to explain things to ignorant people who dont want to expand their minds can be impossible
      Wow. Take a deep breath. Look into the mirror

Not everyone lives on the west coast or the east coast you guys just keep your minds closed and think that if its not done your way its the wrong way
      I really doubt that is true.

good firefighters make mistakes. learn and live by those words.
      100% true. It happens everyday.

Truth be told the forums stink. It would be much more fun if we were all sitting around the kitchen table. Mr. Metsfan (Yankee fan myself) you have proven to be a guy that stick to his guns. It really does seem like you just like to keep arguing with everyone. Some of your points have had a little bit of merit. BUT. Unfortunately times have changed big time. The days of people just showing up and saying "I want to be a firefighter" are over. Competition is tough right now. Fire departments are doing there best to hire the best and brightest. I don't know what state you live/work in but I am sure you would have to of noticed a change. NJ civil service test is now including a "team" video. The Justice Department is coming down on this state hard right now. If you live around the tri-state area you would have to be reading about the trouble the FDNY is going through right now. The NJ DOP is also under fire in there way of testing. Yes, it's BS but it is the another example of how things are getting very different. There is no perfect test nor a perfect background process. I doubt there ever will be. Candidates need to be prepared for all types of backgrounds. Wither small or big they are all going to be different. Be prepared for everything.
      Good Luck to all.
      Last edited by KyleWickman; 10-25-2006, 11:22 PM.
      This space for rent

Comment

Originally posted by KyleWickman
        That's awesome. I have never been called that before!

Nice! I am already a career firefighter. I have been one since 1997. I did not even know BCLepore even existed.

Thanks!

Do you really, truly believe that is the case? Just wondering.

I still have not found were he said pay back all of it now at this very minute.

Please show me were it was said that the west coast hires perfect candidates.

Did not see that either.

I missed were is said it was the end of the world.

Ah missed that too.

Don't be sorry. In a way I agree with you. You are causing trouble. (sarcastic) I do think that sometimes people are judge unfairly in some areas.

Ok, again show me were NEVER was used. YOU started the east vs west. No it did not clear things up for me. Thanks for trying!

I don't know Jay. Seems like a really good guy though. Always helping people out and giving answers that are Honest. Also he shares his past experiance as a background investigator.
        I don't know Rob. I don't know Bob. (I wish I could make another ryhme and keep going with that.) I also don't know engineer2000.

I know a few that want to go out west, and south.

10-4 on that one. You have made it quite clear that it is your way or the high way.

Wow. Take a deep breath. Look into the mirror

I really doubt that is true.

100% true. It happens everyday.

Truth be told the forums stink. It would be much more fun if we were all sitting around the kitchen table. Mr. Metsfan (Yankee fan myself) you have proven to be a guy that stick to his guns. It really does seem like you just like to keep arguing with everyone. Some of your points have had a little bit of merit. BUT. Unfortunately times have changed big time. The days of people just showing up and saying "I want to be a firefighter" are over. Competition is tough right now. Fire departments are doing there best to hire the best and brightest. I don't know what state you live/work in but I am sure you would have to of noticed a change. NJ civil service test is now including a "team" video. The Justice Department is coming down on this state hard right now. If you live around the tri-state area you would have to be reading about the trouble the FDNY is going through right now. The NJ DOP is also under fire in there way of testing. Yes, it's BS but it is the another example of how things are getting very different. There is no perfect test nor a perfect background process. I doubt there ever will be. Candidates need to be prepared for all types of backgrounds. Wither small or big they are all going to be different. Be prepared for everything.
        Good Luck to all.
        Thats alright kyle I accept your apology (sarcastic) You do make a good point about the DOJ but the guys you should be telling that to is not me but the guys that you talk so highly about. When that ruling starts to go west these guys are gonna be running around like mad. Poor credit histories will be probably the best thing on some of these guys records. The only problem is no matter how clean you wanna keep your dept. if the doj rules to hire more you can bet your bottom dollar they will be.As far as do I really think that poor recruitment is the problem? yes I do since my exam was pushed back in 2002 just like this next test in 2007. Minority recruitment was down but to tell you the truth as of last week there were still only 16,000 people overall signed up to take the exam. Thats not many concidering I heard of very high numbers testing years ago when the requirements were not as strict as they were for the past couple with the whole 30 college credit bullshi*. thats a whole other story though.

Comment

Let me start by saying this, Metsfasn06 I said it before, and I'll say it again I agree with you 100%. I didn't have the best credit, didn't have my uncle Jay on the oral board, didn't have cousin BC in charge of hiring, and had alot of odds against me but still got hired. A little advice for aspiring canidates who may be reading all of the crap from the West Coasters, don't get discouraged, take many tests the more the better, be honest, be sincere and don't become scared when going into the oral don't let those asking the questions intimidate you, but at the same time respect their position. Good luck to all prespective canidates.

Comment

nice post Kyle!!

Could not have said it better. Believe it or not we are here to help. While some my charge for their services I do not. You might not like my answers but as I've said before I'm here to help. The phrase"Been there done that" works with us who after thirty years as Firefighters know all the pot holes that persist in one's life. We(ff/rob,Captain Bob, Chief LePore, myself and others try to help you. If you choose to ignore it ....that's fine. Its you who will be taking the tests,orals and backgrounds not us. I will be Uncle Jay sitting on those boards and picking the next candidate to enter drill school.
            So to those who will not change you hang in there and those of us who sit on the other side of the table will win out.
            Respectfully,
            Uncle Jay
            Respectfully,
            Jay Dudley
            Retired Fire
            Background Investigator
            IACOJ-Member
            Lifetime Member CSFA
            IAFF Alumni Member

Comment

Originally posted by brucewayne
              I said "charged off" because that's what it states on a credit check I had done a little less then 2 yrs ago.

The total balance on the 2 cards combined is $3800 and since I stopped making payments with the interest and other charges the total balance/past due went up to $5428.

Like I posted I originally had 3 but I started paying back one card and am almost done, about $150 left. I also have this smaller card which is always current and a cell phone bill.
              I'm not positive, but if your credit report says "charged off" that probably means the bank has given up hope from an accounting standpoint, but you still owe the money. Ignoring those accounts will not make things better.

If you want to turn your life around financially, I recommend four things:
              1. Sell all your toys. Get rid of digital cable, sell the plasma TV, sell your 2006 Yukon XL with leather seats and buy a 2000 Camry. Sell whatever you can to get cash. Differentiate between NEEDS and WANTS. Keep the WANTS only if they are fully paid.
              2. Talk to the credit cards and get them to agree to a full payoff amount and plan. Say you owe $2000 on one, including fees. Offer $1500 by the end of next month if they'll call it even. They should jump at the chance.
              3. STOP USING CREDIT. Pay cash for EVERYTHING.
              4. Go to the public library and rent any book by Dave Ramsey. http://www.daveramsey.com/

And, no, I don't work for Dave. But his financial advice is sound and it helped me take a 65% paycut to follow a lifelong career dream, and to do it without moving, selling my cars or getting divorced.
              My comments are sometimes educated, sometimes informed and sometimes just blowing smoke...but they are always mine and mine alone and do not reflect upon anyone else (especially my employer).

Comment

Originally posted by JayDudley
                Could not have said it better. Believe it or not we are here to help. While some my charge for their services I do not. You might not like my answers but as I've said before I'm here to help. The phrase"Been there done that" works with us who after thirty years as Firefighters know all the pot holes that persist in one's life. We(ff/rob,Captain Bob, Chief LePore, myself and others try to help you. If you choose to ignore it ....that's fine. Its you who will be taking the tests,orals and backgrounds not us. I will be Uncle Jay sitting on those boards and picking the next candidate to enter drill school.
                So to those who will not change you hang in there and those of us who sit on the other side of the table will win out.
                Respectfully,
                Uncle Jay
                Remember all good things come to end sooner or later. Along with that power trip you hold behind that table. As I said in my last post poor credit histories will be the best thing on some applications but when you have DOJ breathing down your neck I wanna see who wins out then.

Comment

Iron wrote:
                  "I didn't have the best credit"

What does this mean?
                  You seem to have first hand knowledge. Please share with the reader's the extent of your credit challenges. If you got hired with a bankruptcy, charged off credit cards or whatever. Please qualify your answer.

Metsfan,
                  Thanks for your concern regarding our hiring practices and the DOJ. It's been over 100 years and no problems yet. Hmmmmm

Still waiting for your answer......
                  Paul Lepore
                  Battalion Chief
                  www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Comment

Metsfan,
                    Thanks for your concern regarding our hiring practices and the DOJ. It's been over 100 years and no problems yet. Hmmmmm

Please do you REALLY want me to reply to this statement? HMMMMM...... I'm just going to chalk that one up as a stupid statement on your part and let it go.

P.S. once I get off my weekend rotation and see some of the people. I'll be more than happy to answer your question.

Comment

Doubt it!!! Hmmmmmmmmmmm?

Uncle Jay
                      Respectfully,
                      Jay Dudley
                      Retired Fire
                      Background Investigator
                      IACOJ-Member
                      Lifetime Member CSFA
                      IAFF Alumni Member

Comment

Sorry I was late to the party.

Wow MetsFan- You sure like to fight with everyone, huh? Thats too bad.

After reading what "Uncle Jay", BC Paul and the others have written, I cant see why you want to battle them/us so offen? And NO, I am not a "cronie". (sp?) And where does FDNY always become the "benchmark"?

As said before, managing credit is basicly managing your life. If you are going to pick the best candidate....then pick the best one you have to work with for 20+ years.

Checkered past showing a seasoned life??? not always. I know, I know...A person with the military background makes the best candidate and us stupid West Coasters with an education are in the sun too much, land of nuts and fruits, etc.

But, as said several times already, we want to hired the best candidate. That includes EVERYTHING- Education, military, credit, training, experience, etc.

As for the guy with poor credit, it sounds like youre on your way. I have found that someone with weak credit should get a secured credit card with a deposit in the bank. Typical would be $500 at Wells Fargo. Then you can build your credit and have a savings at the same time.

And Mets- I do not have a website, nor trying to sell anything.

Much love....Bou
                        Last edited by CALFFBOU; 10-26-2006, 03:18 PM.

Comment

I have worked with bad co-workers who had good credit, but i have never had a good or great co-worker with bad credit. Bad credit scores are a great indicator for the type of employee you don't want to have.
                          Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
                          -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Originally posted by nyckftbl
                          LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Comment

Thanks

Thanks guys and I rest my case.
                            Jay
                            Respectfully,
                            Jay Dudley
                            Retired Fire
                            Background Investigator
                            IACOJ-Member
                            Lifetime Member CSFA
                            IAFF Alumni Member

Comment

I would like to extend my thoughts and prayers to the California firefighters killed and injured today. God Speed. Even though Our thoughts and opinions differ on subjects the job and the dangers are very much the same.

First off I can't believe it takes all you guys to take on little ole' me. I tried to walk away but you guys keep knockin on my door.

Jay Dudley,
                              " I doubt it" ???? Oh come on I could propably get a better response from my 5 year old nephew. I can't even comment on that because you don't give me much to work with. My case is rested also. your no fun. But If you would like I could send you some info on the history of fire depts. around the east coast here that did or are running into that situation and I will bet my paycheck they were around alot longer then 100 years.

Dennis,
                              What the hell fire dept. do you work for that all you have time to do is sit around and look at each others credit report ?? Then match the report up with the guy to see if he is a good firefighter or a bad firefighter. Must be pretty slow there. Maybe the towns people should fight to have ya's do some DPW work if your that slow. Thanks for your input anyway.

My buddy CALFFBOU,
                              How ya been buddy it's been a while since I last bashed you?
                              Did I ever set the FDNY as a "benchmark"?? No It's not just there. my pal from NJ earlier posted about the DOJ in his Dept. in jersey also. Now as far as credit thing goes I wrote my point of view way to many times on this post to rewrite it and explain it again. Maybe you could print it out and have someone with some knowledge read it to you. They may even be able to draw pictures if need be. I don't know any other way to describe my thoughts on this subject. Maybe some stickman drawings will get the message across. you called yourself a stupid west coaster??? Don't be so hard on yourself at least you gave a much better comment then the "I doubt it" guy.
                              Last edited by metsfan06; 10-26-2006, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Metsfan

Like I said.....you can keep slinging the mud or you can take care of your problem. Again we are here to help not sling the mud. If you can't remedy the problem then move on and let it go. Like I tell my 5 year old grand-child... LET IT GO!!
                                Uncle Jay
                                Respectfully,
                                Jay Dudley
                                Retired Fire
                                Background Investigator
                                IACOJ-Member
                                Lifetime Member CSFA
                                IAFF Alumni Member

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250