Poor Credit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Metsfan,
    In a similar debate (I believe it was about background investigations), I asked you to ask the LEADERS of your department what they felt. You may find that your view from the back seat is different from those who actually make decisions.
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Comment

Hey Metsfan,
      I am a little confused about your whole angle here. I see that you have joined these forums about 2 months ago. So far all that I have seen you do is attack people that give HONEST answers. What guys are you looking out for? The guy on the street, or the guys I presume you work with? I am still tying to figure out if you are trying to help some get through the process or tell them to just blow it off as no big deal. The way you talk the whole thing is a big cake walk.
      Battalion Chief Lepore (and Jay) has given advice to some one who thinks he might have a credit problem or issue. I thought the answer was pretty much straight forward. Do what you can to pay off your debt, or at least show that you have a good plan in place and are paying it off. That is pretty much what I read. It shows responsibility. Most fire department in NJ now runs credit checks for incoming recruits. In fact almost every private sector job does now to. If you were to search on the Internet about the topic I bet you would find a ton of info. If you think backgrounds are not looked at here the same you are sadly mistaken. I know of volunteer departments that do now. They even send new guys out for head exam.

but this I do not understand:

I hope everyone who reads this board see's what mentallity level they are dealing with when they take advice from you
      I think a different look was taken here.

You say the east coast has different background standards then the west. You are 100% correct while a background should be clean the guys here know not everyone here is an angel. But they still give them a chance.
      Not even close to being true.

Lets look at the facts. while it seems like alot of people are taking exams the truth of it is not too many people wanna be firefighters.

I don't even know how to answer that one

Lets look at it another way. One of my sibling works for one of the largest auto finance companies in this fantastic country. She works in the department were people are around 60-90+ days past due. There job is to find you and either get there car back or get there money. At this point the gloves also come off. They will call you, your family, you neighbours, your work, spouses work and they even call your boss to let them know that they can't find you and you have skipped out on payment or refuse to pay. Even at my department some of these collection departments have called looking for someone. Do you think this is a good way for someone to start?
      BCLepore has never said that you would never get hired if you have bad credit.

...and yes I do know Bn. Chief Lepore. If you are wondering he works for a very large Class 1 Department that runs over 50,000 calls a year. I have met with him several times at his department. I don't think he would steer someone in the wrong direction.
      This space for rent

Comment

Originally posted by KyleWickman
        Hey Metsfan,
        I am a little confused about your whole angle here. I see that you have joined these forums about 2 months ago. So far all that I have seen you do is attack people that give HONEST answers. What guys are you looking out for? The guy on the street, or the guys I presume you work with? I am still tying to figure out if you are trying to help some get through the process or tell them to just blow it off as no big deal. The way you talk the whole thing is a big cake walk.
        Battalion Chief Lepore (and Jay) has given advice to some one who thinks he might have a credit problem or issue. I thought the answer was pretty much straight forward. Do what you can to pay off your debt, or at least show that you have a good plan in place and are paying it off. That is pretty much what I read. It shows responsibility. Most fire department in NJ now runs credit checks for incoming recruits. In fact almost every private sector job does now to. If you were to search on the Internet about the topic I bet you would find a ton of info. If you think backgrounds are not looked at here the same you are sadly mistaken. I know of volunteer departments that do now. They even send new guys out for head exam.

but this I do not understand:

I think a different look was taken here.

Not even close to being true.

I don't even know how to answer that one

Lets look at it another way. One of my sibling works for one of the largest auto finance companies in this fantastic country. She works in the department were people are around 60-90+ days past due. There job is to find you and either get there car back or get there money. At this point the gloves also come off. They will call you, your family, you neighbours, your work, spouses work and they even call your boss to let them know that they can't find you and you have skipped out on payment or refuse to pay. Even at my department some of these collection departments have called looking for someone. Do you think this is a good way for someone to start?
        BCLepore has never said that you would never get hired if you have bad credit.

...and yes I do know Bn. Chief Lepore. If you are wondering he works for a very large Class 1 Department that runs over 50,000 calls a year. I have met with him several times at his department. I don't think he would steer someone in the wrong direction.

Ah another one of bc's cronies preaching the good word of his. Well kyle since you say i attack everyone I may as well add you to the list. I am done trying to convince simple minded people who listen to the rubbish that is put out by a couple of these guys. unfortunately I see there is another one of their brainwashed cronies who just dont know any better. I guess i will have to get down on your level and say all this very ,very slow so maybe you can understand it. Ok?? first my comment about not too many people wanting to be firefighters: This is absolutely true while numbers may seem like alot of people are taking tests the truth is recruitment in both the volley and paid services are way down. Look at a Dept. 1 state over from you that had to extend filing for two straight tests now due to low application turnout. This is happening all over the country not just here. You don't understand the mentallity level comment: Well your commanders stated how this kid should just take 5,000 dollars and pay the money back now. Great advice maybe the kid could pull an extra 5k out of his as* or maybe the magic money fairy will come down and give him a check to pay it off. don't you think if the kid had that kind of money lying around he would pay the damn bill. You dont agree with my comment about how the east coast differs from the west coast backgrounds: Well I can't take claim to that statement cause it was your commander who said that. I just said on the east coast they will give a person with a checkered past a chance because I know of several large depts. that put people on here on the east coast with a less then perfect background. Your commanders stated straight forward that they do not have those people in "their houses" or on the west coast. Maybe you should go back a reread that section. I gotta tell you I really dont care if you think if my advice is right or wrong just like I dont have to agree with your advice or BC's advice or jays advice. They state their points and I state mine. I'm not telling anyone its a cake walk process and if you read all my posts you would see I told the kid he very well may be put on the carpet about these situations and he would have to answer for them. But I am also telling him that because you have a credit issue it is not the end of the world and that he should still continue on with the process. Your commanders were the ones who started making the claims that guys like that dont get hired where they are. NOT ME. If you were this kid and read that what would you think your chances are? I know everything is not rosie red but nothing is impossible (except getting hired on the west coast if you were late making a bill payment) LOL...( in case you need help with this comment I was being sarcastic) Now I'm sorry if you think I cause trouble but really I dont think i do I just have a different look on the way people should be judged for these jobs. While I agree that there are things that should keep you from getting firefighter jobs. for the most part alot of things are minor and a person deserves a shot but when you start using words like NEVER like these guys did to make claims of there depts. hiring standard and then to start throwing up situations of east coast vs. west coast standards like these guys did then you should be able to take a little bit of disagreement. Did this clear things up for you??

P.S. He works for a dept. that really runs 50,000 calls a year?? God I did not know I was in disagreement with a person of his stature. He must be right about everything in that case. ( Theres that sarcasm again) LOL.
        Last edited by metsfan06; 10-25-2006, 02:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by firemanjb
          It depends on what you mean by, "charged off." If the bank has charged off the debt on those two cards as uncollectable, they have probably sent the accounts to a collection agency. That doesn't mean you don't owe the money anymore, just because the bank has given up. The only way to have an account "charged off" is to declare bankruptcy and have the courts eliminate the debt, or engage in a mutual settlement agreement. Just because you stopped paying does not eliminate your responsibility. The debt will always hang over you until you make satisfactory payments to the creditor or get a court discharge.

Frankly, if I was a background investigator, and saw that you started paying on those accounts again just as you applied, I would ask, "What took you so long?"
          I said "charged off" because that's what it states on a credit check I had done a little less then 2 yrs ago.

The total balance on the 2 cards combined is $3800 and since I stopped making payments with the interest and other charges the total balance/past due went up to $5428.

Like I posted I originally had 3 but I started paying back one card and am almost done, about $150 left. I also have this smaller card which is always current and a cell phone bill.

I didn't mean for this post/thread to snowball, I was just pumped up after trying out for this one particular Fire Dept for 3 straight yrs and finding out that I'm just a background check away.

I thought I was going to be able to type out a letter and explain the situation but all I had to do on Monday was sign a release form. I got an extra copy thinking the information might be useful for others on here.

I'm located in deep south TX where a bunch of small cities make up a large metropolitan area known as the Rio Grande Valley and I've tried out for 3 different Fire Depts and each one is different even though they are all about 15 minutes apart.

Well here's to hoping I get to atleast explain my situation and on my plans to pay back what I owe as soon as I financially can.

I can say one thing, every time I take the civil servant exam and the physical agility test it gets easier and easier.

Thanks for all your input, even if some of it kinda brought me down I know it's the truth and I highly appreciate it.

Comment

Poor Credit

Mets fan...sign me up to your list!!! There are people out here who try to help other people with their problems. You however love to sling mud. I think that Chief Lepore, FFRob and Captain Bob plus many others are out there to help. Like it or not they do help. You may not like our answers but trust me when I say this. We are here to help and not to jump on anyone's answer to a problem. So take a chill pill and quit slinging mud and try to help not hinder.
            Respectfully,
            Jay Dudley, Retired Fire
            Respectfully,
            Jay Dudley
            Retired Fire
            Background Investigator
            IACOJ-Member
            Lifetime Member CSFA
            IAFF Alumni Member

Comment

Metsfan I have to say I am in your corner, I like your thinking and I agree 100% with your ideas and thoughts. It is fellas like the the chief and Jay that discourage young guys from becoming firefighters. They make it seem like you have to be the second coming of Christ to get hired. They probably take four uniform shirts with them to work everyday, so they look preppy and clean at all times, but I would guess they most likely haven't gotten dirty in 10 years anyway. Keep it up Bro you are a voice for those of us who even though we try are not 100% perfect like those other fellas. Keep it up and don't let anyone keep you down!!!!!

Comment

Jay,
                You guys are nothing more then salesmen trying to sell your products to people who come on here looking for help. All you guys start off the same way. Give a kid the worst case scenerio and hope they panic so they buy into one of your websites. You guys could care less about a candidate. All you guys wanna do is make money off these people. Thats why 99% of the time you guys post your sites under your name.

FFROB = Myfireinterview.com
                BC Lepore = aspiringff.com
                Capt. bob = eatstress.com

That is why you guys get all upset and have your little helpers come out in full force like kyle did to stick up for you guys. I seen others posts where people bashed you guys and the same thing happened. The same people you see coming to your rescue now came to your rescue then also.

My advice while it may not be 100% or yours may differ from it I will Never ask for a red penny from someone looking for it. Unlike you guys.

oh by the way you made that list along time ago.

Comment

Getting back to the original post. Will bad credit hurt me on background checks? Yes it will. It is another way to weed candidates out of the process. It is so competitive. I don't know the B.C. or Jay, but they are right. Especially here out west. Most depts. here have cut off minimum for applications (limited to first 200 or 500 qualified candidates). Becuase depts. do not have the time or money for overtime for thousands of applications they will get to test all applicants. All job openings have alot of laterals applying and most have degrees and fire certs up the butt with paid experience. One of the ways to weed candidates from the process is the background and yes credit is checked at that phase.
                  The only thing you can do is start paying the debt off. Hopefully over time the bad credit will be removed from your report. Still apply for as many jobs as you can. Let the dept. assigned investigator make the decision if you can go on in the process or not.
                  By the way the other day on the news. Active military personnel are subject to background checks for their secret clearence and 6,000 troops did not pass and cannot go on the front line because of bad credit and could not get their clearence. According to the news. So having bad credit will hurt you in most jobs ( civilian or military).

Comment

Originally posted by engineer2000
                    Getting back to the original post. Will bad credit hurt me on background checks? Yes it will. It is another way to weed candidates out of the process. It is so competitive. I don't know the B.C. or Jay, but they are right. Especially here out west. Most depts. here have cut off minimum for applications (limited to first 200 or 500 qualified candidates). Becuase depts. do not have the time or money for overtime for thousands of applications they will get to test all applicants. All job openings have alot of laterals applying and most have degrees and fire certs up the butt with paid experience. One of the ways to weed candidates from the process is the background and yes credit is checked at that phase.
                    The only thing you can do is start paying the debt off. Hopefully over time the bad credit will be removed from your report. Still apply for as many jobs as you can. Let the dept. assigned investigator make the decision if you can go on in the process or not.
                    By the way the other day on the news. Active military personnel are subject to background checks for their secret clearence and 6,000 troops did not pass and cannot go on the front line because of bad credit and could not get their clearence. According to the news. So having bad credit will hurt you in most jobs ( civilian or military).
                    Yea,yea,yea we know california candidates are some of the best candidates in the world. Blah,blah,blah. Thats why I met a couple of guys more then willing to leave that state for the east coast depts. At least there are a couple of guys out there not willing to settle for second best.

Comment

This has nothing to do with West Coast or East Coast. I merley saying where I am from. Credit will hurt you in getting hired. It shows the candidate is not responsible. IT IS A WAY TO NARROW THE HIRING FIELD. I am sure most dept. across the country will bounce candidates from the process with bad credit. Some dept. may have more of a relax criteria of what will bounce you. Sounds like you just want to argue for the hell of it.
                      By the way. My Chief is from New York. People apply for different reasons( advancement or personnal reasons). A lot of bigger dept. in Cali have East Caosters applying and getting jobs. It does not matter where you apply across the country.

Comment

Originally posted by engineer2000
                        This has nothing to do with West Coast or East Coast. I merley saying where I am from. Credit will hurt you in getting hired. It shows the candidate is not responsible. IT IS A WAY TO NARROW THE HIRING FIELD. I am sure most dept. across the country will bounce candidates from the process with bad credit. Some dept. may have more of a relax criteria of what will bounce you. Sounds like you just want to argue for the hell of it.
                        By the way. My Chief is from New York. People apply for different reasons( advancement or personnal reasons). A lot of bigger dept. in Cali have East Caosters applying and getting jobs. It does not matter where you apply across the country.
                        I dont mind a challenging conversation I'm not one to back down. However this subject is getting to me already and trying to explain things to ignorant people who dont want to expand their minds can be impossible.Not everyone lives on the west coast or the east coast you guys just keep your minds closed and think that if its not done your way its the wrong way.good people make mistakes. good firefighters make mistakes. learn and live by those words.

P.S. That's great that your chief came from New york. Now maybe you'll learn from some of the best.

Comment

Not everyone has a perfect life making big money. People get laid off, divorced or just have a hard time making ends meet. I personally have spent close to 10 grand between school, traveling to tests and test fees themselves. I do not have stellar credit but I have been divorced, laid off and just have had a hard time getting by. I have put up with my bs career for the last 6 years just trying to get on a department. I show up to work ready to work everyday. I have spent so much time, effort and money trying to get on I hope that my situation doesnt keep me from getting hired. I think that a lot of firefighters get hired so young they do not know what it is like working the 9-5 job with no sick or holiday pay. They are just used to making 50 grand and another 25 on the side. That is the American dream but not everybody gets to live that.

Comment

I don't think people on here are giving their way and that's it. People are giving reality on experience in getting a job. Who have a paid FF job. I ansewered the guys question pretty straight forward. Bad credit can hurt you in the background. My post above said you can get bounced from the process with bad credit at any dept. depending on the criteria. Your making this a East vs. West Coast.
                            We all do the same FF job ( East, West, South, North, Mid West, etc.), but a little different tactics. At the end. Everyone goes home safe to their families. So as I stated before to the original post. Credit can hurt you in getting a job not just in firefighting, but most professions.

Comment

what????

I have not charged a cent for my time. I have given many mock orals and help for interviews on my own time. I resent the fact that you say I'm holier than thou when I try to help those who need help. I've never said that if you have credit problems you can't get hired. I've never said that you can't get hired if you do. I've always said that I personally look at the candidate as a whole and not one thing can disqualify a candidate. I think thats its childish to think that one coast is better than the next. We all do the same job just each department has their own set of standards then the other. As we have stated before....with Long Beach if there's a problem with your finances then they move on. There's another bu** to fill their seats. If you have a problem with your finances then take care of them now!! not later.

P.S. Engineer2000 I think you've got it. Thanks for input.

Respectfully,
                              Jay Dudley, Retired Fire
                              Last edited by JayDudley; 10-25-2006, 08:11 PM.
                              Respectfully,
                              Jay Dudley
                              Retired Fire
                              Background Investigator
                              IACOJ-Member
                              Lifetime Member CSFA
                              IAFF Alumni Member

Comment

“It is fellas like the the chief and Jay that discourage young guys from becoming firefighters.”

I love the irony. In one post I am discouraging people from wanting to become firefighters.

“You guys are nothing more then salesmen trying to sell your products to people who come on here looking for help.”

In the next, I am all about making money. (thanks Metsfan for the link to my website).

Why would I discourage people from wanting to become firefighters if my objective was to sell books? Maybe I am speaking from my heart, rather than from someone who is looking to make a buck.

Metsfan,
                                I am still waiting for an answer to my last post. I’ll put it here for you again:

In a similar debate (I believe it was about background investigations), I asked you to ask the LEADERS of your department what they felt. You may find that your view from the back seat is different from those who actually make decisions.
                                Paul Lepore
                                Battalion Chief
                                www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse