No announcement yet.

Poor Credit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EEEEEK! Not trying to start fights here,just curious.I do believe that people do fall on hard times and that should not be held against someone to a certain extent.If the person can show they rectified the situation.I know the police dept does the credit check for a little different reason.They feel if someone is in financial distress,they are more inclined to take a bribe.Luckily my situation is not a payoff or charge off.It is late by a couple months and I could easily explain the situation if question..Also thanks FFBAM for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by metsfan06
      ...ATTITUDE towards the job is what makes them that way not what their credit report says.
      If only this were true across the board. Accountability is the big key here though.

Comment

Mets Fan relax it was stated on here before, and I'll state it again. They were still fighting the Indians on the West Coast when the brothers on the East Coast were fighting hi-rise fires. There is a different thinking that goes on out there. Must one be perfect in everything have no blemishes and be one step away from God to get hired. So I would not get overly excited when the contradicate your thoughts.

Comment

Jay please tell everyone how is it that you in a previous post stated how you look at every candidate in a "whole picture" way but yet today you told everyone here that your Dept. has no one with poor credit or negative marks in "our House". Is your dept. that lucky that no one with a checkered past came in front of you for an investigation or did you indeed discriminate against anyone with a checkered past and not look at them in the "Whole Picture" way? surely your not saying everyone with a checkered past was a terrible person. Just like i'm sure your not saying everyone without a past was a perfect person. "whole picture" thats a joke.

Comment

Metsfan,
            Yes, I can tell you with certainty that bad credit will cost a candidate a job in my neck of the woods (Southern California). Trust me.

I can also tell you that I was recently involved in a major department's promotional process (as a rater for a BC exam several states away) and I had the opportunity to sit down with the department's HR dept head. I posed this same question to him. His quote was, " Why should I take someone with a checkered past, when I have so many candidates from which to choose?"

We have had lively debates before over similar topics. I love the references to high rise fires versus indians. There are differences around the country. It sounds like your background standards are different on the right versus the left coast.

metsfan wrote:
            "bclepore tells the one guy to pay it back now or it will hurt your chances."

Absolutely corretc. I couldn't be more clear.

"Well bc I'm sure if the guy had $5k to pull out of his wallet and pay it off he would not be asking this question in the first place."

Maybe he shouldn't have borrowed it in the first place????
            Last edited by BCLepore; 10-24-2006, 09:46 AM.
            Paul Lepore
            Battalion Chief
            www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Comment

JAM,

I certainly know some guys who have less-than-stellar credit that have gotten hired, and you are showing the maturity/responsibility to work on it. Good luck!

Comment

Poor Credit

Man I go away for a few days and miss a lot. Look what I am saying is what Chief Lepore has said. I worked on the same Department as him and he speaks the truth. Admittedly I know we are not all perfect and we all make mistakes......but when getting hired we look at the whole package and if you have money problems that sends up a red flag. There are many candidates who do not have the problems that you do and are hired over you.
                All you can do is work hard to take care of your problems and don't worry about everyone else. Your day will come it just takes time so hang in there.
                Respectfully,
                Jay Dudley, Retired Fire
                Respectfully,
                Jay Dudley
                Retired Fire
                Background Investigator
                IACOJ-Member
                Lifetime Member CSFA
                IAFF Alumni Member

Comment

Originally posted by BCLepore
                  Metsfan,
                  Yes, I can tell you with certainty that bad credit will cost a candidate a job in my neck of the woods (Southern California). Trust me.

I can also tell you that I was recently involved in a major department's promotional process (as a rater for a BC exam several states away) and I had the opportunity to sit down with the department's HR dept head. I posed this same question to him. His quote was, " Why should I take someone with a checkered past, when I have so many candidates from which to choose?"

We have had lively debates before over similar topics. I love the references to high rise fires versus indians. There are differences around the country. It sounds like your background standards are different on the right versus the left coast.

metsfan wrote:
                  "bclepore tells the one guy to pay it back now or it will hurt your chances."

Absolutely corretc. I couldn't be more clear.

"Well bc I'm sure if the guy had $5k to pull out of his wallet and pay it off he would not be asking this question in the first place."

Maybe he shouldn't have borrowed it in the first place????

I hope everyone who reads this board see's what mentallity level they are dealing with when they take advice from you. Maybe someday you to will fall on hard times and understand how that is. Maybe someone will look at you like your not good enough when that happens. The way you look at candidates with these problems. Jay everyone knows that whole picture statement is bullshi*. Put a candidate in front of me who may have had a checkered past and if he shows more interest and more desire for the job then the guy with a perfect past. I'll send the second best (perfect past) to you where he belongs. You say the east coast has different background standards then the west. You are 100% correct while a background should be clean the guys here know not everyone here is an angel. But they still give them a chance.
                  Last edited by metsfan06; 10-24-2006, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Well im not east coast or west coast so where the hell does that leave me? lol

Comment

Somewhere in the middle

Sorry your questions are getting hijacked here.

I'm far from the ones making the decisions to hire, but it sounds like you are on track.

Hang tough.
                      bam

Comment

Originally posted by Tedski1663
                        Well im not east coast or west coast so where the hell does that leave me? lol
                        East or west means nothing those guys brought it up and I found it rediculous. Wherever you are take the test and go through the process and don't get yourself in any trouble while the process is going on. If the question about your financial past comes up explain to them what happened and how your trying to improve it. If they dont want for that reason then that was not the department for you. move on and get on the job where they dont expect their candidates to be so perfect with no problems. Heres a little heads up. Firefighters help people who are in emergency situations,people who cant help themselves and alot of times people who are going through hard times. if they feel you are on their level and think you know what its like to be down and in a time of need like they are they will be aot more open and little less hostile towards your help. But if you go in and put yourself above these people you are asking for problems thats why i say some of the best firefighters put themselves on their level and know what its like to be in a bad situation.They dont let it keep them down and they try to improve themselves. So dont feel bad about any mistakes you may have made just dont make them again. Thats something no fire dept. without guys that lived that way will ever teach you. And according to these 2 guys everyone in southern california live perfect lifes. Put it behind you and continue testing.

Comment

Originally posted by ffbam24
                          Somewhere in the middle

Sorry your questions are getting hijacked here.

I'm far from the ones making the decisions to hire, but it sounds like you are on track.

Hang tough.
                          bam
                          someone gotta stick up for the guys. There are a couple people on this site who think if your not saint like you dont deserve to be a firefighter. Your NYC what do you think? There are over 15,000 firefighters in the city do you think everyone of them got spotless backgrounds. I doubt it. But that does not make them any less of a good firefighter. You may get a bad seed here and there but even with good backgrounds you get them. These guys think you dont even deserve a shot.

Comment

poor credit

Metsfan....I'll say it one last time. I said nobody is perfect and I look at a candidates whole picture. I don't just take one bad thing and not hire someone. I never said that west coast or east coast does it a certain way....all I've said that the department I worked at for over 26 years looked at the whole picture not one aspect. I'm now a Fire Commissioner for a small town in North Idaho and even we do things a lot different then my last Department.
                            Respectfully,
                            Jay Dudley, Retired Fire
                            Respectfully,
                            Jay Dudley
                            Retired Fire
                            Background Investigator
                            IACOJ-Member
                            Lifetime Member CSFA
                            IAFF Alumni Member

Comment

Originally posted by brucewayne
                              I do on the other hand have 2 older credit cards which are charged off that add up to about 4-5K.

I'm 27 and stopped paying those cards at about 21/22 because of loss of job, truck payment, school, blah blah blah.

If I can make a deal with the 2 charged off credit cards this week and start a small payment plan and if I type out a paper explaining my situation and add it to the background check paperwork do you think that will help out my chances?

I'm hoping that by calling up these 2 old charged off credit cards and making deals with them that I can atleast write that into the background check paperwork and that will help me out a little.

I'm going to make payment plans with these 2 charged off credit cards even though it will be hurting me financially for this opportunity.

Will they take that into consideration, that I atleast WANT to fix my dept?

Thanks,
                              Tino
                              It depends on what you mean by, "charged off." If the bank has charged off the debt on those two cards as uncollectable, they have probably sent the accounts to a collection agency. That doesn't mean you don't owe the money anymore, just because the bank has given up. The only way to have an account "charged off" is to declare bankruptcy and have the courts eliminate the debt, or engage in a mutual settlement agreement. Just because you stopped paying does not eliminate your responsibility. The debt will always hang over you until you make satisfactory payments to the creditor or get a court discharge.

Frankly, if I was a background investigator, and saw that you started paying on those accounts again just as you applied, I would ask, "What took you so long?"
                              My comments are sometimes educated, sometimes informed and sometimes just blowing smoke...but they are always mine and mine alone and do not reflect upon anyone else (especially my employer).

Comment

For the record, not NYC...yet.
                                metsfan, PM me if you have that enabled.
                                bam

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X