Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Citadel student...where to go from here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Citadel student...where to go from here?

I am currently a sophomore at the Citadel in Charleston, SC. I am wondering what to do in the next couple of years while I am here to better prepare myself for a future in fire service. My ultimate goal is to be a firefighter in a larger city. Should I take fire science or any other classes during the summers? I am hoping that the structured, disciplined atmosphere of this school will put me above other applicants but what else can I do to get ready?

Thanks
    Dustin Loehndorf

You should have gone to a real school - NMMI!

Lol Just kidding
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

Comment

All joking aside, thats my point right there. If you went to NMMI, (a comparable but slightly inferior school) and got a job with the Chicago FD how did you do it?

Comment

As far as your schooling goes buisness management courses or public admin courses will help you in the long run. As far as college helping you get a job, some depts give bonus points for college. Typically depts don't give a rat's butt if you went to some podunk community college or Harvard just that you went.

Comment

Yea, usually it doesn't matter what kind of degree you have.

All you have to do is get ur degree and you pretty much get 5 extra points at the majority of the places you apply.

Sucks to see people get hired w/fine arts degrees though.....

Comment

Originally posted by FTroop09
            All joking aside, thats my point right there. If you went to NMMI, (a comparable but slightly inferior school) and got a job with the Chicago FD how did you do it?
            Honestly, I wish I could help, but CFD is all about dumb luck. I took the test, scored well qualified, waited years, and finally got called. The other guys on here would be better able to help you since they actually went through a legit hiring process. Sorry I'm not much help.
            I am a complacent liability to the fire service

Comment

Fortunately or unfortunately depending on your viewpoint many depts give preference to emt's and medics. You can probably find an emt course at a community college over the summer and join a volly ems or on-campus rescue squad. You can also take fire science courses at many online schools, but if you are graduating with a BS this isn't really necessary

If you are interested in FDNY they just extended their filing date to November 2nd and the written test will be given on January 20, 2007. The process usually takes 2-4 years and you can differ if you are still in school. The pay sucks but it is a great place to work. You can get more info at this link. good luck.

http://nyc.gov/html/fdny/html/commun...nt_index.shtml

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
              Working...
              X