Boston FD question....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boston FD question....

I am a firefighter paramedic in FL. Will this give me any edge with applying to Boston? I know of all the other hurdles you have to go through as far as residency, being a veteran ect. Thier hiring process is quite different than down here. Does being a paramedic make any difference up there? I am from Boston and am looking to move back home. I just cant seem to get a straight answer on the paramedic question. I know that down here in FL, if your not a medic your chances of being hired are getting pretty slim.

Originally posted by Matty8378
    I am a firefighter paramedic in FL. Will this give me any edge with applying to Boston? I know of all the other hurdles you have to go through as far as residency, being a veteran ect. Thier hiring process is quite different than down here. Does being a paramedic make any difference up there? I am from Boston and am looking to move back home. I just cant seem to get a straight answer on the paramedic question. I know that down here in FL, if your not a medic your chances of being hired are getting pretty slim.
    Boston has a separate EMS system. You may want to reach out to them.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Comment

Boston Fire

Its my understanding, and I live in Randolph a suburb of Mass, that you need to be a resident of Boston for a few years before you can get on the BFD. I heard thru the grapevine though but ive heard it from a few different people.

Comment

Being a medic won't mean anything in terms of the FD. The EMS company I work for covers for Boston EMS pretty often and you only get FD on the calls about 10% of the time.

If you did want to work for Boston EMS, medic is really helpful, although you'd be working for them as a basic until you get promoted to medic. (They have alot of medics doing this.)

Comment

Thanks for the answers. Are there any department up there that are structured like here in FL? Most depts. here have combined fire/ems. If your not a medic down here its getting really tough to get a job. I guess im wondering if its even worth my time to pursue a dept job up there. Im from MA and would like to move back. Thanks for any advice..

Comment

I was under the impression they were in rough shape in Fla, and in need of FF's. I know one department, Delray Beach was openly advertising for immediate openings, medic or not. I know being a paramedic is a big plus, but I'm suprised to hear the jobs down there are hard to come by now...

Comment

The majority of the paid dept's in southeastern mass (as well as northeastern mass) that are paid run an ambulance out of the fire dept. (its part of the dept). You have to be a resident of that town 1 year prior to the test date. You will have to show several proofs of residency. The majority run paramedic. You also receive extra points for veteran status and past fire dept. experience. You will need your MA Paramedic license to get on. You will have to switch over. I suggest you contact the Mass dept. of human services? and get a list of all the dept that are civil service. I would call EACH ONE and ask if they run EMS and what they require for hiring in addition to residency.
              Last edited by CTJAKE; 10-26-2006, 10:31 PM.

Comment

Being a medic is huge for Cambridge, or so I hear. You spend your first 2 years working for them married to their ALS intercept truck.....

On a side note, a majority of the departments around here (greater Boston) that actually do have ambulances are only BLS and rely on private companies for medics.

Unfortunately you just missed the MA firefighter entrance exam and will have to wait until 08 to take the next one.

Comment

This will allow you to get your residency. You are required to be a resident 1 year prior to the test date which is in late april.

Comment

Everyone thanks for all of the info. I know i just missed the fire exam up there, i was planning on going to the one on 2008. I was on the website and it looked like you can get preference for residency but its not required. But either way i will get in touch with the HR and start contacting people.
                    Someone made a comment about the depts. down here, you are right they are hiring like crazy and some dont require medics. But, it seems like the good depts are requiring the medic cert. Im near Tampa and most around here will give you 2 years to get your medic cert. And they dont budge on it, get certified 2 years and 1 day later and your fired.

Comment

Keep your eyes open....

Not all departments in Mass. are civil service. Some towns do their own hiring process, though most are outside of the 495 loop.

If you just want to get a little closer to Boston than S.C., consider Connecticut. Torrington and North Haven are currently hiring -- Torrington is BLS engines only. North Haven has ALS.

Keep an eye on southern New Hampshire as well. Many of the towns there with full-time departments run their own ambulance, often at the ALS level.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X